English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 27 May 2020, 22:07   #1
Liqourice

CV64/3D Defective, or?

I haven't had my A4000 running for a while. Partly because I started having problems with it crashing on bootup if I tried to use the gfx card but also because I haven't really had the time.

Now I have time and I decided to fire it up again to see how things are working. Now it seems it's gotten worse and I get a red screen with board info where it says the board with "16448" as manufacturer is defective. Removed the card and it boots up just fine into AGA screenmodes.

This is a bit strange since it should show up as "8512" in the manufacturer for the card. I don't know what "16448" stands for. Only other card I have installed right now is a scandoubler, I think it's this one: http://amiga.resource.cx/exp/scandoubler

Also the Cyberstorm Mk-II/040-40 is in of course. But since it works when I remove the gfx card I doubt either the cpu board or the scandoubler is faulty.

Checked the manufacturer ID list and I can't find 16448 in there.

As I've been talking about earlier in the forum the computer needs some work. I need to either recap or replace the PSU and also a motherboard recap is overdue. It's not critical since it works fairly well without the gfx card but it's not 100% stable.

So, could this be a result from the PSU getting close to it's last moment. I've had stability issues before and some time last fall it started crashing when I tried to boot to a CV64 screenmode. Hence it's gotten worse after that since it now displays the board diagnose, it didn't do that before.

Is there some known issues with CV64/3D's? If it's faulty, what is the most likely issue?

Perhaps it's caused by some caps on the motherboard being bad as well. I really need to fix that asap. Gonna try clean it up and test again to see what happens.

Also, tried the card in all three slots and same result. Not tried the bottom slot since I have to remove the scandoubler and if I do I have no display whatsoever so can't see any eventual messages or coloured screens.

Ideas?

Last edited by Liqourice; 28 May 2020 at 20:16.
Old 29 May 2020, 19:20   #2
Liqourice

CV64/3D Defective, or?

Did another test. Removed the scandoubler and put the gfx card back in. Now the computer boots like it did a while ago but as soon as I click the monitor file for it it hangs and then crashes.

I wonder if this isn't all due to a lack of power so a new PSU might fix it?