English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 26 April 2020, 05:21   #41
dschallock

Quote:
Originally Posted by klx300r View Post
@ dschallock

I have a CS-MKIII running OS3.1.4 with real ROMS installed and can run Worthy & TOG great..using orignal Phase 5 drivers that came with card
I have real ROMs too. Using the original phase 5 drivers. only difference is mine is a MKii I believe. I am really interested to figure out what this is. I feel like it has to be something happening in my startup-sequence.
Old 26 April 2020, 05:42   #42
alpine9000

Just to double check, you are only trying in PAL mode right ? Worthy is most certainly not NTSC compatible.

As for the the startup sequence, I am definitely not a workbench/amiga os expert, but the only thing that looks non standard to me is the Poseidon stuff at the top. I'm not really sure what that does, but Worthy does use input.device for accessing the keyboard, so not sure if that's a potential culprit?
Old 26 April 2020, 18:51   #43
dschallock

Yes. Only in PAL mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine9000 View Post
Just to double check, you are only trying in PAL mode right ? Worthy is most certainly not NTSC compatible.

As for the the startup sequence, I am definitely not a workbench/amiga os expert, but the only thing that looks non standard to me is the Poseidon stuff at the top. I'm not really sure what that does, but Worthy does use input.device for accessing the keyboard, so not sure if that's a potential culprit?
Old 27 April 2020, 03:15   #44
alpine9000

Quote:
Originally Posted by dschallock View Post
Yes. Only in PAL mode.
Worthy does have the ability to dump debugging data to the serial port.

Not sure if you have the ability to hook up a PC running a terminal emulator (or another amiga), but if so we could try and use the serial port to find out where in the startup process it crashes.
Old 27 April 2020, 05:21   #45
dschallock

What kind of cable would I need to do that with a pc? A usb to Amiga serial cable?
Would this one do it?

DTECH 10 Feet USB 2.0 to RS232 DB9 Serial Port Adapter Cable with FTDI Chipset Supports Windows 10 8 7 and Mac Linux https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017D51ZRQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_M.KPEb2F7XTKX

QUOTE=alpine9000;1395417]Worthy does have the ability to dump debugging data to the serial port.

Not sure if you have the ability to hook up a PC running a terminal emulator (or another amiga), but if so we could try and use the serial port to find out where in the startup process it crashes.[/QUOTE]
Old 27 April 2020, 05:26   #46
alpine9000

Yes, however you will also need a null modem converter and a db9 to db25 adapter
Old 27 April 2020, 08:33   #47
klx300r

Quote:
I have real ROMs too. Using the original phase 5 drivers. only difference is mine is a MKii I believe. I am really interested to figure out what this is. I feel like it has to be something happening in my startup-sequence.

hmm strange as I believe the only difference between the MKII and MKIII is the III has onboard scsi controller....my A4000 is apart at the moment to figure out a sound problem so unfortunatley can't do any testing right now but my S-S was pretty standard and only suing Phase 5 original drivers etc. for my CS-MKII so maybe it could be some timing fix???

Did you try running the latest AmiTestKit ..believe it v1.6...it will run memory and timing tests straight from workbench
Old 27 April 2020, 17:22   #48
dschallock

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine9000 View Post
Yes, however you will also need a null modem converter and a db9 to db25 adapter
Ok I found the db9 to db25 adapter but I don’t know what a null modem converter is. Sorry for the ignorance I just haven’t done this process before.

Update: ok, I read up on Null modems. (newbie.. sorry) and I understand it is a cross link thing, switching which pin goes to what I believe. I found this on amazon as well.... does this look right for the Null Modem Adapter?

https://www.amazon.com/Null-Modem-Ad...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

If all of this is correct I will totally order this stuff. I imagine it will be useful in future debugging on things.... maybe I could become a beta tester in the future too

Last edited by dschallock; 27 April 2020 at 19:35.
Old 27 April 2020, 17:23   #49
dschallock

[QUOTE=Did you try running the latest AmiTestKit ..believe it v1.6...it will run memory and timing tests straight from workbench[/QUOTE]

I haven’t ever used that app. I will try it right away. Thanks for the idea. ?
Old 27 April 2020, 23:09   #50
alpine9000

Quote:
Ok I found the db9 to db25 adapter but I don’t know what a null modem converter is. Sorry for the ignorance I just haven’t done this process before.

Update: ok, I read up on Null modems. (newbie.. sorry) and I understand it is a cross link thing, switching which pin goes to what I believe. I found this on amazon as well.... does this look right for the Null Modem Adapter?

https://www.amazon.com/Null-Modem-Ad...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

If all of this is correct I will totally order this stuff. I imagine it will be useful in future debugging on things.... maybe I could become a beta tester in the future too
Yep that looks like it should work.
Old 28 April 2020, 03:16   #51
dschallock

Ok I ordered the goods. Will write again when I get the stuff, as I don't know what software to run on the PC side when connecting them.

Thanks!
Old 28 April 2020, 04:31   #52
alpine9000

Quote:
Ok I ordered the goods. Will write again when I get the stuff, as I don't know what software to run on the PC side when connecting them.

Thanks!
No problem, I use Putty. I can walk you through the setup once you’re ready to go.
Old 07 May 2020, 19:37   #53
dschallock

UPDATE - and looking for knowledge from the hive mind

I have been working with one of Worthy's creators who has been extremely generous with his time.
Long story shortened way down:
We have determined that one line in the startup-sequence of my 3.1.4 startup is what makes worthy run or not run.
C:Iprefs

Alpine9000 believes that something that is happening when C:Iprefs is triggered that is preventing Worthy's code from creating a PAL screen.

I commented that line out of my startup-sequence and then manually ran it with snoopdos so I could see what was happening. The following is a report:

1 « IPrefs » Open ENV:Sys/screenmode.prefs Read OK

2 « IPrefs » Open ENV:Sys/icontrol.prefs Read OK

3 « IPrefs » Open ENV:Sys/serial.prefs Read OK

4 « IPrefs » Open ENV:Sys/palette.prefs Read OK

5 « IPrefs » Open ENV:Sys/font.prefs Read OK

6 « IPrefs » Open FONTS:XHelvetica.font Read OK

7 « IPrefs » Load FONTS:XHelvetica/13 OK

8 « IPrefs » Open FONTS:courier.font Read OK

9 « IPrefs » Load FONTS:courier/13 OK

10 « IPrefs » Open ENV:Sys/wbpattern.prefs Read OK

11 « IPrefs » Open ENV:Sys/workbench.prefs Read OK

Iprefs is part of 3.1.4 and many have reported that they are running Worthy just fine on 3.1.4.... I believe some people even reported that are running it fine with an 060 and 3.1.4 so there is something unique to my setup I am assuming.

Any ideas Amiga Hive Mind?
Old 07 May 2020, 20:53   #54
gulliver
BoingBagged

If this is the case I would first try to isolate the issue.

Leave IPrefs enabled and just rename one by one each of the .prefs settings at a time and test if the game works when they are inactive.

You will be able to find out what setting is giving you headaches.
Old 07 May 2020, 22:31   #55
dschallock

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulliver View Post
If this is the case I would first try to isolate the issue.

Leave IPrefs enabled and just rename one by one each of the .prefs settings at a time and test if the game works when they are inactive.

You will be able to find out what setting is giving you headaches.
great advice. Embarrassed I didn't think of it already.
Old 14 May 2020, 05:25   #56
dschallock

so one by one I have renamed each of those prefs and booted into pal mode to see if I could get worthy to run and none of it worked. I started second guess my self so I redid the test of commenting out C:Iprefs in the startup sequence, booting into PAL mode and running worthy, and it worked... so at least I know I wasn't going crazy. I loaded snoopdos again and had it watch as I loaded Iprefs manually (from the shell) to see if I missed something else Iprefs was doing... and there was something. At the end of the string of prefs Iprefs loads from env-archive/sys/ it executes 2 incidental commands of "lockscreen workbench". Now I don't know if that is the offending command because it isn't a file I can rename (as far as I know).. but it is something I missed the first time doing this. Other than that observation, I don't know what Iprefs could be doing that stopping the show, but it certainly is the offending command that when commented out worthy runs fine and with it, it does not.
Old 14 May 2020, 07:38   #57
gulliver
BoingBagged

Run FixFonts and retry the game.
Old 14 May 2020, 08:23   #58
dschallock

Quote:
Run FixFonts and retry the game.
Thank you for the idea. Tried it, didn't fix it.
Old 14 May 2020, 16:43   #59
gulliver
BoingBagged

Another idea might be tweaking picture.datatype settings

Tips on how to this are in the 3.1.4 FAQ in Aminet.
Old 15 May 2020, 02:38   #60
dschallock

Quote:
Another idea might be tweaking picture.datatype settings

Tips on how to this are in the 3.1.4 FAQ in Aminet.
I am using the Warp Datatypes. Does that make a difference?
I never thought that datatypes would affect a game. Interesting. I will read up on what you sent.
Thank you!