English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 21 January 2018, 22:48   #1
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Issues with latest WinUAE

I have noticed quite a few issues with the latest version of WinUAE.

With DirectX 11 selected the program force-closes from fullscreen when Alt-Tab is pressed. This happens every single time I've tried it. See attached logs.

Turning off on-screen LEDs in windowed mode DX11 does not get rid of the LEDs but only stops them from flashing. Re-enabling gets them flashing again.

Also in DX11 windowed mode I've managed to slow emulation right down while hardware sprite still operates at normal speed - I've never seen that before. Happened in Deluxe Galaga. I was fiddling with lots of options including the framerate limiter to 50fps seemed to initiate the bug.

The main one though in this post is the force closing from fullscreen.
Old 21 January 2018, 23:04   #2
Foebane
Banned

As I recall, DX11 is a new feature to WinUAE, so it is still rather buggy. Best to stick with the old DX9, I think.

EDIT: Sorry, Toni.

Last edited by Foebane; 22 January 2018 at 08:25.
Old 22 January 2018, 08:17   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Attach logs too. (winuaebootlog.txt and winuaelog.txt), thanks. It checks for different Windows features and it can change behavior greatly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foebane View Post
As I recall, DX11 is a new feature to WinUAE, so it is still rather buggy. Best to stick with the old DX9, I think.
"Rather buggy" when first D3D11 related bug report is mentioned? Don't reply if you don't have anything useful to say.
Old 22 January 2018, 18:09   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

OSD issue confirmed (disabling on the fly leaves static led texture visible. But I can't see any flickering)

I have no idea why it crashes, all attached dumps have crash inside d3d11.dll. Logs hopefully help.
Old 22 January 2018, 20:12   #5
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
OSD issue confirmed (disabling on the fly leaves static led texture visible. But I can't see any flickering)

I have no idea why it crashes, all attached dumps have crash inside d3d11.dll. Logs hopefully help.
Hi. Your're correct - there is no flickering - I should have used the word 'activity' when it is re-enabled. Basically it just returns to normal as you've described.

Logs attached. The issues do just seem to be DX11 related. It does seem like a good, stable release.

I've just tried Deluxe Galaga again for the winuae log file and it worked flawlessly in DX11 windowed mode. Speed was very stable at 50fps and sound wasn't crackling. It did still bomb out from fullscreen mode though when I tested that (alt-tab again).
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaebootlog.txt (21.0 KB, 74 views)
File Type: zip winuaelog.zip (20.6 KB, 70 views)
Old 22 January 2018, 20:21   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Try without low latency vsync (it isn't really that important in d3d11 mode anyway).

Do you use host interlaced mode or something because log has "low latency vsync state mismatch" lines? (I didn't even remember this possibility...)
Old 22 January 2018, 21:02   #7
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Here is my config that I use - maybe its using some old settings?

I noticed an odd thing. If I select 'Standard Vsync' and then disable the FPS adjust, the buffering selector changes from 'no buffering' to 'double buffering' everytime.

If you disable the FPS first and then change to 'Standard Vsync' the buffering stays as it was.

Bit odd.

If I select the standard vsync instead of low-latency it still force-closes.
Attached Files
File Type: uae Workbench 3.9 Test.uae (28.3 KB, 79 views)
Old 22 January 2018, 21:16   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Does normal non-vsync mode also crash? Does it happen if remove all harddrives and enter fullscreen in "insert disk" screen? Does it only happen in RTG mode?
Old 22 January 2018, 21:20   #9
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
Does normal non-vsync mode also crash? Does it happen if remove all harddrives and enter fullscreen in "insert disk" screen? Does it only happen in RTG mode?
Yes it does still occur. Attached some new logs.

It is not RTG mode - just usual Amiga display mode. I only use RTG in windowed mode.
Attached Files
File Type: txt winuaebootlog.txt (21.1 KB, 85 views)
File Type: txt winuaelog.txt (9.2 KB, 86 views)
File Type: dmp winuae_x64_3.6.0_R_2018.01.22_20.18.40.dmp (146.4 KB, 68 views)
Old 22 January 2018, 21:27   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

This makes no sense, again same crash inside Present() call. Does 32-bit version have same problem?

EDIT: Unfortunately D3D11 software mode is not supported in fullscreen.. It would have been interesting test..

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 23 January 2018 at 12:59.
Old 24 January 2018, 15:22   #11
AmigaSurfer

I have notices some issues with Direct3D 11:

- With Graphics API "Direct3D 11" the "Native on-screen display" setting is used, instead of the "RTG on-screen display" setting.

- If I press in RTG Fullscreen mode Alt-Tab, the orange Amiga mouse pointer disappears and the white Windows mouse pointer appears on the Amiga desktop, instead of switching to the Windows desktop, if no other program on the Windows desktop is running. If I e.g. open a Windows Explorer window first, then Alt-Tab switch to this. If no other programs are running on the Windows desktop, the only way to switch from WinUAE to the Windows desktop is pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del and opening the Task-Manager or pressing F12.

- Pressing F12 in RTG Fullscreen mode switch from the Amiga desktop to the Windows desktop and opens the GUI there, instead of opening the GUI on the Amiga desktop.
Attached Files
File Type: zip winuaelog 64 3.6.0 DirectX 11.zip (12.5 KB, 65 views)
Old 24 January 2018, 15:46   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmigaSurfer View Post
- With Graphics API "Direct3D 11" the "Native on-screen display" setting is used, instead of the "RTG on-screen display" setting.
This is already known. (It is also not possible to disable it on the fly)

Quote:
- If I press in RTG Fullscreen mode Alt-Tab, the orange Amiga mouse pointer disappears and the white Windows mouse pointer appears on the Amiga desktop, instead of switching to the Windows desktop, if no other program on the Windows desktop is running. If I e.g. open a Windows Explorer window first, then Alt-Tab switch to this. If no other programs are running on the Windows desktop, the only way to switch from WinUAE to the Windows desktop is pressing Ctrl-Alt-Del and opening the Task-Manager or pressing F12.
I think something similar has happened ages ago, this is some weird Windows feature when there is no other program to switch to, so it tries to switch back.. It probably needs some workaround in d3d11 mode too.

Quote:
- Pressing F12 in RTG Fullscreen mode switch from the Amiga desktop to the Windows desktop and opens the GUI there, instead of opening the GUI on the Amiga desktop.
This is by design. D3D11 fullscreen does not support GDI elements.
Old 24 January 2018, 21:56   #13
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
This makes no sense, again same crash inside Present() call. Does 32-bit version have same problem?

EDIT: Unfortunately D3D11 software mode is not supported in fullscreen.. It would have been interesting test..
Yes the 32-bit version has similar issues. I've attached a screenshot output when trying alt-tab from fullscreen.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error.png
Views:	99
Size:	19.4 KB
ID:	56402  
Old 25 January 2018, 10:26   #14
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Yes the 32-bit version has similar issues. I've attached a screenshot output when trying alt-tab from fullscreen.
It is debugger window. Which makes even less sense. If you type g and then press return, does emulation continue? EDIT: Or does it even accept input?
Old 25 January 2018, 13:59   #15
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Quote:
It is debugger window. Which makes even less sense. If you type g and then press return, does emulation continue? EDIT: Or does it even accept input?
The cursor flashes but doesn't seem to respond to any input.
Old 25 January 2018, 14:26   #16
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Still weird.. Try this: use 32-bit version, when that window appears, use windows task manager, details page, right click winuae.exe, select create dump file and attach the file. (Use some basic unexpanded A500 quickstart to keep dump file small)

Also attach 32-bit logs.