English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 17 November 2020, 03:50   #1
JudgeRob

A1200 restoration

Hi

Does anyone have recommendations for forums dedicated to restoration projects? I would like to document my progress and have lots of questions since I haven't ever done it before. I am happy to do it here but don't see a clear subforum for it? On that note, I don't see much anywhere else either. So far I've just been watching random youtube videos on restorations...
Old 17 November 2020, 04:04   #2
Radertified

EAB is fine for that sort of thing, but it's not exactly user friendly for new users. Having seen many new users get confused, I expressed my feelings about this in the past but regulars are used to it and don't want change. Oh well.

In your case, I'd say there's 2 appropriate places:

- Nostalgia & memories which is essentially generic Amiga discussion. People have posted machine progress there.
- support.Hardware which isn't always about support. People have posted machine progress here.

or one of the subforums to support.Hardware:

- Hardware pics - People have posted machine progress here.
- Hardware mods - People have posted machine progress here.

See the problem? There's a lot of redundancy, but that's EAB. Don't be discouraged by it. Post your thread and if it's in the wrong spot, it'll get moved to the appropriate place.

Hope that helps!
Old 17 November 2020, 04:16   #3
JudgeRob

OK cool, thanks for the tips. It works, to my great surprise, so maybe there isn't too much to do beyond a good clean and cosmetic stuff. I ordered a cap kit to do while I have it all apart. I want to keep it fairly original but would like to trick it out a little too.
Old 17 November 2020, 09:16   #4
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

Hello JudgeRob. Are you thinking of updating the kickstarts & workbench to 3.1.4? It is still classic but with some modern conveniences. A 8MB expansion will also allow flexibility with what you do with it.
Old 17 November 2020, 18:16   #5
JudgeRob

Hi fxgogo,
Yes, was definitely looking an an 8MB expansion since it does not have one. I think it only has 1MB memory. I haven't thought about changing the kickstarts and workbench. Right now it boots off the HD. I lost a big load of the floppies and I still need to test if any of the workbench discs still work...
Old 18 November 2020, 00:47   #6
fxgogo
Also known as GarethQ

I have my CF card running to the port under the floppy disk. This way I can pull it from my Amiga, plug it into my laptop and with WinUAE carry on doing stuff on the same hard drive. I can then also make a quick copy of the entire CF card for safety.

How did you lose the floppies? As in they went missing or they were corrupt?
Old 18 November 2020, 23:28   #7
JudgeRob

Under the floppy drive? I thought the card readers plugged into the port on the opposite side of the machine (left side). What card reader do you recommend?

Unfortunately I physically lost 90% of the floppies I had which irritates me to no end. I don't know how I managed to save everything else for 20 years but not the discs. I have about 25 discs remaining. Of those, I haven't tested them all, but I would estimate only a handful will read. I am hoping more might work after I clean the floppy drive?