English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Technical

Old 03 July 2020, 21:15   #1
Torti-the-Smurf

Is a Shutdown of a "Mini-Console" necessary ?

Hi Guy´s
Maybe this is a stupid question, but is it really necessary to Shutdown "Mini" Consoles like the Snes-Mini,the Mega Drive Mini or the C64 Mini ?

It just wears out those On/off switch.
They get the power via USB from my TV when i turn that thing on.

So, what do you guy´s think, is it necessary to use the On/off switch everytime ? Can it harm those systems ? They Are linux based and there OS is on a NAD Flash that is read only when running.

But what do i know. It´s just a guess that it is completely unneceassry to use those Power On/off switch.

But does anybody here really know ?

Anyway, greetings.

Amiga rulez
Old 04 July 2020, 00:48   #2
jmmijo

Well like any OS, there is always a chance of filesystem corruption with any sudden power loss.

These devices maybe better designed to mitigate sudden power losses but it could still happen, and then how do you logon to the OS and run fsck on the affected partition ?
Old 04 July 2020, 09:35   #3
Hewitson

I have no idea why you'd worry about wearing out the power switch, but surely the OS partition would be mounted read only?

You could possibly damage your own data though. Saved games, etc.
Old 04 July 2020, 12:14   #4
Torti-the-Smurf

I see, thanks for those answers. The Power switches on those things are not the best
On the Snes Mini for example, i can feel that the switch moves WAY more easily than like it was new.

It will work, sure, but it would be more convenient to just turn of the TV
I dont have to "Shut Down" my Amiga, if nothing read or writes a power cut is save
Ahhh, good old Amiga I will use the Power switch on those mini "consoles" but i guess there is no way to brick those and even if... they always can be recovered with HackChi
HackChi is a must in my opinion because the standart emulation on the Sega Mini is so .... poor and laggy; ups .. getting of topic here
Anyway, thanks you guys. Greetings, Torti.
Old 18 July 2020, 09:05   #5
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Just replace all f them with cheap RPi and stop worrying... It is not healthy....
Old 21 July 2020, 15:27   #6
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

The question remains unchanged if you use an Rpi. Is it safe to just yank the power at any time? I had that same question when I got my Pi and the best answer I could find was "probably not".
Old 21 July 2020, 17:15   #7
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Yes, probably not best idea if shutdown is not built in, but with price of memory cards, it really does not matter as long as you have backup/copy of your card.

I do shutdown all of them, including batocera laptop.
Old 21 July 2020, 23:03   #8
Daedalus

It will come down to how much you value any recently saved data, because ultimately that's probably the most important thing involved. If you don't save anything, or don't care about high scores, then yank away. I'd be more careful if you were 50 hours into a save game or something though...
Old 19 August 2020, 23:11   #9
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
I don't know much about Rpie's, but if you don't want to wear out the power switch (or if it's missing, or out of reach), and assuming said consoles can endure a sudden drop out of juice (I would say they do, but don't quote me on that), you could use either
  • A wall outlet itself fitted with a power switch, stuff like that :

• Wall outlets that can be activated from a distance with a remote, such as these ones (sold as a pack of three units, search Lunvon on amazon) :

I use these Euro plugs (2 of the first ones, 5 of the second ones) for various devices and appliances, and have no complaint. Bear in mind shape and voltage will vary depending upon where you live, obviously. May amount to poor man's home automation if you wish.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 20 August 2020 at 05:28.
Old 20 August 2020, 13:02   #10
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Wonder if you go to the same extreme not to wear steering wheel in car or signal lights switch or even a lights switch.
Old 21 August 2020, 12:19   #11
SquawkBox

My Mitsubishi CRT doesn't have a power switch (was missing when I bought it). As you may know, unlike LCD's, residual juice in CRT going in standby mode is not insignificant. So I have good reason to turn it off completely, remotely. That's just one illustration, also put these outlets to use to turn off LCD screen from coffee machine (makes a slight whisper). Saves my back incidentally (by not having to disconnect the main plugs). Your mileage may vary.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 21 August 2020 at 12:41.
Old 27 September 2020, 13:36   #12
Torti-the-Smurf

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis View Post
wonder if you go to the same extreme not to wear steering wheel in car or signal lights switch or even a lights switch.

Very Funny
Old 07 October 2020, 19:59   #13
SquawkBox

Ok may be the wall outlets that can be activated from a distance are a bit far fetched, but any decent power outlet bearing a switch should do the job to shutdown / power on concerning your mini-console IMHO. I use one of these (cf. picture above) with my RetroTink 2X pro and I am pretty confident the device isn't harmed in any way when turned off in such manner.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 08 October 2020 at 01:14.
Old 08 October 2020, 14:55   #14
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Perhaps for a read only mini console it's no problem. But the main purpose of such outlets is still to minimise standby power drain, not to lazily switch electrical devices on/off. If you want to use them for that purpose... you do you.
Old 17 October 2020, 02:20   #15
SquawkBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
the main purpose of such outlets is to minimize standby power drain, thereby effectively switching electrical devices on/off, assuming said electrical device can be switched off as if the plug was abruptly disconnected from the mains.
Allow me... Fixed . Ok, according to my piece of advice, it could be argued the outlet is deviated from its original purpose. Doesn't mean it shouldn't be used that way at all, does it ? So, now Torti, you may go and tell Smurfette how you manage to activate your mini-console like a champ, with the press of a finger. Here is how it looks in situ :

Last edited by SquawkBox; 17 October 2020 at 06:22.