English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 23 August 2009, 20:48   #1
barney

How do I change Hard Drive device ID #

I need to change my hard drive device ID from 0 to 6. How do I go about doing this? Is this somthing that needs to be done on the hard drive itself or through software? Thanks.

Barney
Old 23 August 2009, 20:59   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi barney,

This is done on the hard drive itself by means of jumpers labelled (usually) A0, A1, and A2. A0 has a weighting of 1, A1 a weighting of 2 and A2 a weighting of 4. Jumpers on all three will give you a Drive ID of 7 (usually reserved for the controller), jumpers on none will give you a drive ID of 0. Other Drive IDs can be assigned by a suitable combination of these.

A Drive ID of 6 can be got with a jumper on A4 and another on A2 only.
Old 23 August 2009, 21:05   #3
barney

I am looking at my hard drive now and I see exactly what you described. I see bit 0, bit 1, bit 2 and bit 3. In my case if I wanted id of 6, which jumpers would I install. Just want to make sure I get this correct.

Barney
Old 23 August 2009, 21:27   #4
lopos2000
Zone Friend

It's Bit 2 & Bit 3. Bit 1=1, Bit2=2, Bit3=4
Hope that helps.
Old 23 August 2009, 21:33   #5
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopos2000 View Post
It's Bit 2 & Bit 3. Bit 1=1, Bit2=2, Bit3=4
Hope that helps.
NO! That will give Drive ID 12.

@barney:

It looks as if your drive will go from Drive ID 0 to Drive ID 15 (i.e., it's SCSI-2).

Bit0=1, Bit1=2, Bit2=4, Bit3=8, so you want Bit1 and Bit2 shorted.
Old 23 August 2009, 21:42   #6
lopos2000
Zone Friend

Sorry, you're right prowler. Forgot about bit0=1.
Old 23 August 2009, 21:51   #7
prowler
Global Moderator

Not at all. The mistake is easily made.
Old 23 August 2009, 22:02   #8
barney

Ok, I was successful at setting the ID to six but I don't see any difference. Sombody recommended that I set my id to 6 on my hard drive that is mounted on a GVP SCSI HD+8 Card. It was previously set to 0. Is 6 better performance or more stable than 0? Thanks.

Barney
Old 23 August 2009, 22:16   #9
thomas

The ID is only used to distinguish between multiple drives on the same bus. Which ID is assigned to which drive does not matter at all. So there should be no difference between 0 and 6.

IMHO the Amiga will start faster if your boot partition is on the drive with ID 0, because the IDs are scanned from 0 to 15. The higher the ID the more unsuccessful scans need to be done before the HDD is found.
Old 23 August 2009, 22:24   #10
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Barney,

It's good to hear you got the Drive ID switching working.

As for the best ID to choose, I think it depends on the host adapter (controller).

Back in the days when I was using SCSI hard drives on my PCs, Adaptec host adapters required Drive ID 0 to be set for the first (bootable) hard drive in the chain and Drive ID 1 for the next, etc.

However, Future Domain controllers required the exact opposite: Drive ID 6 for the first drive, Drive ID 5 for the next, etc.

I think it is to do with which drive has priority on the bus - so if it's the only device on the chain, then I can't really see that it makes any difference.

One further thing to bear in mind is that if the SCSI controller has a BIOS, then any inbuilt features may only apply to the two highest priority devices on the chain, e.g. only those devices may be bootable.

I'm not at all experienced with Amiga SCSI host adapters, but you should find all the information you need in your newly-acquired manual.
Old 23 August 2009, 22:31   #11
barney

Well, in my case, the boot time doesn't matter since my problem isn't fixed yet. Everytime I turn my computer on for the first time, it shows me the purple "Workbench Install" screen. I have to enter boot menu to get it to boot. After that, all warm boots work fine. I thought maybe the drive ID # may fix the issue. Still not working right. My scsi controller is a GVP HD8+ series II, 2.1 GB HD.

Barney
Old 23 August 2009, 22:36   #12
prowler
Global Moderator

I remember seeing a thread recently on EAB concerning a similar problem experienced by another user with a GVP HD8+ card (No, it wan't your other thread!), and I seem to remember that a solution was found.

I'll see if I can find it, and give you a link.
Old 23 August 2009, 23:11   #13
prowler
Global Moderator

Happy Format/partition Hard drive A500 HD8+

@Barney,

Found it!

It may not be exactly the same problem, but it might just give you an idea...

Have a look here.
Old 24 August 2009, 00:12   #14
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
I remember seeing a thread recently on EAB concerning a similar problem experienced by another user with a GVP HD8+ card (No, it wan't your other thread!), and I seem to remember that a solution was found.

I'll see if I can find it, and give you a link.
The person who recommended that the ID be set to 6 was me, from a recommendation from Thomas, who stated that in the case of a slow SCSI drive and let's be honest, most would be slow by today's standards, setting the device ID to 6 gives the HDD time to spin up and be ready for the controller, when it scans the SCSI bus. I have issues too with cold boot Vs warm boot, I figured the power supply was rather old, so I was going to replace it with an AT supply with adapter cable, because by now I am running, 2 HDD, one SCSI, one IDE, adapter for IDE (7720), SCSI CD Writer, twin floppies, they just weren't designed for all that. When I do finally get the bastard thing stable from cold boot, I'll let you know how I did it.

BTW. Regarding jumpers for HDD ID, do a Google on your exact device name, ie. LPS1080 and find the jumpers from that, every HDD I own I can get the jumper info from the net.

Paul
Old 24 August 2009, 00:21   #15
prowler
Global Moderator

Thanks for clearing that up, Paul.

However, I can't see the connection with the message you have quoted. I actually found the thread I was looking for, and I have provided a link above.
Old 24 August 2009, 14:19   #16
Loedown

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Thanks for clearing that up, Paul.

However, I can't see the connection with the message you have quoted. I actually found the thread I was looking for, and I have provided a link above.
Greetings,
I got some help from Thomas, he told me about HDD spin up speed and the GVP controllers, it seems that originally I was having problems with the card 'missing' the HDD, so I changed its ID to 6, which helped somewhat. If I was a top bloke, I'd go look up my old thread, but sadly, I fail at top blokedness.

Paul
Old 24 August 2009, 14:35   #17
barney

I changed my hard drive to id 6 but I still get the purple "Workbench" installation screen on cold boots. Is there some type of file that needs to be present on the HD0: partition that would kick this hard drive to boot correctly? Thanks.

I do have another small quesiton. Could it be that my drive needs to be terminated. This probably isn't the case because I believe the SCSI card itself is terminated. All the pads are still in tact on the card. I suppose it is worth a try to terminate the drive and see what happens.

Barney

Last edited by barney; 24 August 2009 at 14:46.
Old 24 August 2009, 18:33   #18
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
Without termination on the drive the behaviour will be awkward, at best.
Old 25 August 2009, 00:23   #19
Loedown

Most drives have an active termination solution, again, another jumper, or combination, which drive do you exactly have, make and model?

Paul