English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 29 June 2020, 20:42   #1
CU_AMiGA
Banned

Random Lockups with Worms DC Under WHDLoad

Hey guys,

Am currently just putting the finishing touches to me setting up an Amiga 1200 AGA 060 system (and re-educting myself in the process!). Am at the stage where i am just testing the machine out with a few games/apps, etc. Unfortunately i have hit a snag with Worms Directors Cut. I have this running as a HD installation using the latest WHDLoad drivers. I seem to get this weird problem where it will partially freeze during mid gameplay (or sometimes totally freeze when the game generates the landscape). The gameplay itself will kind of pause/freeze, but you can still move the mouse pointer around the landscape! And the timer will clock down to 00, but nothing will happen after - weird!

I have tried the other cuurent Worms DC installations under WHDLoad, and get the exact same result each time. I don't remember this being an issue with an older WHDLoad HD installation, so i may give that one a try. I have also tried the original Worms game, and that works just fine. So what's up with this guys? Any suggestions?
Old 30 June 2020, 01:18   #2
Matt_H

Are you experiencing any issues with other WHDLoad games? This sounds like it could be the issue where games will partially lock up if the TCP/IP stack or USB stack is running when WHDLoad is started. So just make sure to disable them first.

Alternatively, I’ve found Worms DC to be very stable and fully functional even when running the old fashioned way, i.e., without WHDLoad. There’s no copy protection that you’d need to bypass. So give that a try if WHDLoad continues to be troublesome.
Old 01 July 2020, 19:26   #3
CU_AMiGA
Banned

Hi Matt

I have tried a few WHDLoad games, and don't have any issues with them. Having said that, i may have another stab at some later now i have a little bit more time. I don't think i have any TCP/IP or USB stacks running as neither are/have been connected to the machine whatsoever. But will have a further investigation later. And yes you are right, i think the old game installation works just fine with machines equipped with only 68k processors, i think the WHDLoad installation is to help out machines that have PPC processors on board. I seem to remember PPC cause havoc (slowdowns/crashes) with Worms DC.

Thanks!
Old 04 July 2020, 02:29   #4
CU_AMiGA
Banned

Yep, just tried the normal installation and everything worked fine. Looks like i will be sticking with that then.