English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware mods

Old 01 May 2007, 15:00   #1
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

My very "ordinary" A600 Tower

My A600 Tower.

Big thanks to you all!

My tower is pretty much finished. I had planned to go further, but now I’m getting an A3000T there really isn’t much point.

Well, nothing at all out of the ordinary here, nothing special, just a 600 tower built because I couldn’t fit what I wanted inside an A600 case.

Front, you’ll see two FDDs, one CD-RW and an audio switch:

Rear, you’ll see both control ports (mouse/js1 & js2), RCA outs for audio/video, RF out, DF1 on/off switch, PS2 keyboard socket, Kickstart 2.05/3.1 switch and a serial port. I didn’t see the need for anything else, as this machine is mostly for games:

Inside, again nothing very special. Compact Flash adapter & card for primary HDD, 4-way buffered IDE interface thingo with CD-RW also connected (3.5” HDD shown not currently connected), PC keyboard adapter (note older keyboard DIN plug is inside just in case I need to use it in an emergency), PC power supply, panel mount cables made to suit and so on:

I had planned an adapter for the PCMCIA slot made from a dead card female header attached to ribbon cable with a hacked up card from a server to allow the PCMCIA to be accessed from the rear and some kind of memory expansion, but with the new miggy coming I’ve decided this one is now finished…aside from a case fan and one of those cool “Amiga” panels Amigakit sells

Anyway, thanks very much to all of you, as a lot of info for this project came from you guys!

PZ.

p.s. Zetro is the most helpful person I've ever met! (well, I haven't really met him, but you know )
Old 01 May 2007, 16:06   #2
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

ahhh its a pity, my hope it you continue my friend, its shaping up to be a beautifull little beast!...

I would love to see the 9pin ports moved to the front though *(its where they belong!)*

Enjoy your 3000 thats comming soon... but when you finnished gaming.... spare a though for this.... for the potential of all your work would look awsome when you compete it!!!!!
Old 01 May 2007, 16:39   #3
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Thanks man, and I'm sure over time as money gets better I'll probably do more...just not for now...the $150 (read: 50 pounds) for new a3k is enough to break the bank right now...I'm broke

Really wierd is I have to refresh the screen to see the last pic (inside) and the second one (outside) shows twice even though upon checking there is only one link...maybe Firefox hates me? hahahaha

PZ.
Old 01 May 2007, 17:13   #4
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

LOL if its worth imma on IE7(or what ever the latest beta update is lol) and i still see two pics LOL.

did you make those fly-over / extension cables yourself?
Old 02 May 2007, 01:01   #5
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Yeah I did...nice & cheap
Old 02 May 2007, 02:39   #6
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Sweet!
Old 03 May 2007, 12:39   #7
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Stuff the new machine, it won't sync with my monitors and I can't afford a new one!

Z-man, give me some ideas for the 600...cheap ones, I've got no money now

PZ.
Old 03 May 2007, 12:56   #8
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

hmmm

hmmmmmmm

aha!

for modifying consider making a right angle connector and dig up an old (and subsequently VERY cheap *i may even have a spare if i looked hard enough* and get a network card in there....

this you can then use with your PC as an ftp service using termite ftp on the amiga and about any free downloadable ftp server for your pc.

hmmm case spraying that always a good time consuming one, paints might cost a smidge though

---------------

Aha!

Make the Joystick / Mouse ports on the front... in fact ADD another to the mouse port so you can just plug in a joystick (no need for a joy/mouse shifter then!) infact make five ports at the fron in like a star with one in the middle (WHY?) well this way you can d/l from aminet the VERY VERY simple paralell joystick splitter and get some serious 4 player dynoblaster action...

loser as to pay for (new transmission / amiga component) *start practicing*

------------------------

Hook up some LED's for power / fdd / hdd-rom access... but dont stop there make an led front pannel and plumb this in the serial port of the amiga.. this way you can programm out funny scrolly text to amuse you

-----------------------

more to follow shortly
Old 03 May 2007, 13:06   #9
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Painting it matte black would work, got about 5L of it, but scuffs too easily

Soooo, if I add another 9 pin to port 1 and have a mouse in one & joystick in the other it won't cause any damage? That would be super-cool and the cheapest option yet (aside from my sh*tty paint jobs)

See the HDD & Power LEDs in the case facia? They are already hooked up & DF1 had it's own, so just jumped wires from the mobo LED connection point to a small LED hot-melt glued under the DF0 facia, all LEDs working...first "mod" I did after mounting in the case

FTP is where you confuse me...I'm sort of ok (maybe not so good) with hardware, but when it comes to software I've got no idea man, I mean like none at all.......but you've already seen that anyway

PZ.
Old 03 May 2007, 13:10   #10
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

some find it easyier when its hard LOL

fear not software takes a bit of time and a shit load of trial and error LOL

the added port wont damage the mouse port at worst if you had a joystick in there and using the mouse at the same time it would just inturpt the mouse and anoy you.
Old 03 May 2007, 13:30   #11
keropi

what this machine needs (except the from joypad connectors) is an A630 accel... expensive but it would be totally coo! it would not overheat, plus u could add later a subway too (better get the new 1MB expansions from individual computers... amigakit has them too)
from my amiga experience, everything else except cable hacking is not cheap
Old 03 May 2007, 13:38   #12
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Keropi, those are the very bits I want for my 600, but alas, can't afford right now

I wish I could make my own memory expansion card too, but don't know how.

Pz.
Old 03 May 2007, 13:44   #13
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetr0
the added port wont damage the mouse port at worst if you had a joystick in there and using the mouse at the same time it would just inturpt the mouse and anoy you.
No worres, I'll do that next payday (two weeks)

I had already considered it, but was concerned about how easy it is to f*ck up a C64 SID chip by shorting the control ports and thought maybe the miggys might have had a similarly insane setup leading to easy damage this way.

PZ.
Old 03 May 2007, 14:05   #14
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

I would maybe put a simple dual state switch to the ground line that way the mouse wont kill your joystick game play and the joystick wont kill the mouse action.... technically its electrically safer. LOL
Old 03 May 2007, 14:51   #15
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

heres a pic m8

hope it helps.
Old 03 May 2007, 14:59   #16
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Your diagrams are pure gold man, you should get paid for this!

Although, for once, I did already know what you were saying....thanks heaps for the input

Looks like the 3000 might be sold by tomorrow after a few phone calls...lucky dude is getting a good deal

PZ.
Old 03 May 2007, 15:34   #17
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fingerlickin_B
Your diagrams are pure gold man, you should get paid for this!

Although, for once, I did already know what you were saying....thanks heaps for the input

Looks like the 3000 might be sold by tomorrow after a few phone calls...lucky dude is getting a good deal

PZ.

AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Old 03 May 2007, 16:22   #18
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson
AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Dude, just pray it falls out...you are next in line no matter what
Old 03 May 2007, 20:25   #19
dambuster
Zone Friend

you could parnet or sernet it to your pc, as you dont mind soldering up cables.
Pity the mobo not turned thru 90 degrees you could of tried taking the pcmcia thru the front.
You could use lacquer to protect the paint - wont be matte tho.
Looking fwd to seeing the final result.
If youre feeling adventurous you could take a casting of the amiga logo off your 600 case or someones 1200 case and make your owncase insert. Clear resin back lit with the field sprayed in the case colour would look smart.
Old 04 May 2007, 06:15   #20
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
Hey, this is a very clean job, and well done. I did a similar tower job for my A600 recently, but I did it so lousy I'm shamed to put pictures on The main problem is that I don't have a dremmel, and I rented a metal grinder to open a slot for the pcmcia which turned out very destructive everything still works, but it looks like shit.

congrats !