English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 26 August 2023, 22:06   #1
Hatt

Amiga A600 8Mb Fast Ram PCMCIA switchable

https://www.retropassion.co.uk/produ...ia-switchable/

I'm interested in this Fast Ram for my Amiga 600.

It says it:

Benefits of a PCMCIA friendly card is that you can use the PCMCIA slot of the Amiga 600

4Mb/8Mb jumper

Why would you want to run 4MB instead of 8MB or does the PCMCIA slot not work when in the 8MB mode?

Thanks.
Old 26 August 2023, 22:31   #2
Matt_H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatt View Post
Why would you want to run 4MB instead of 8MB or does the PCMCIA slot not work when in the 8MB mode?
Correct. The PCMCIA slot will not work with more than 4MB of Fast RAM in the system since they use the same memory space / address lines.

Or you can get an 020 or 030 accelerator, which puts Fast RAM in a different address space, allowing you to have more RAM and a functional PCMCIA slot.
Old 26 August 2023, 22:47   #3
Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
Correct. The PCMCIA slot will not work with more than 4MB of Fast RAM in the system since they use the same memory space / address lines.

Or you can get an 020 or 030 accelerator, which puts Fast RAM in a different address space, allowing you to have more RAM and a functional PCMCIA slot.
Many thanks. Don't think I want to go down the accelerator route.

If 4MB is the max, what is the take on this one?

https://retroready.one/products/nf60...miga-600-black

It says 5.5MB and maybe a little cryptic:

It does not block the PCMCIA port allowing transferring the data and using network cads and PCMCIA CF/SD adapters.

Does this mean as it is over 4MB it would also stop the PCMCIA working, even if it physically doesn't block you inserting a card?
Old 26 August 2023, 22:53   #4
Daedalus

No, it means the PCMCIA port can be used without issues. The 5.5MB is made of two blocks: one in the first 4MB of Zorro-II space, with the second 4MB left free for PCMCIA compatibility, and the other 1.5MB is located in what's sometimes called the "Ranger" RAM area, or "Slow-RAM" on the A500. It's not any slower on the A600, but it's mapped separately so doesn't interfere with the PCMCIA port.
Old 26 August 2023, 23:13   #5
Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
No, it means the PCMCIA port can be used without issues. The 5.5MB is made of two blocks: one in the first 4MB of Zorro-II space, with the second 4MB left free for PCMCIA compatibility, and the other 1.5MB is located in what's sometimes called the "Ranger" RAM area, or "Slow-RAM" on the A500. It's not any slower on the A600, but it's mapped separately so doesn't interfere with the PCMCIA port.
So would the 5.5MB card offer more RAM than the 8MB one if jumped to 4MB?

I know the maths are simple, just trying to get it straight in my head. I like the idea of transferring files on/off via the PCMCIA port, so I'd like to retain this feature. But trying to decide which is the best fast ram card to go for.

But I don't want to pay for the 8MB one and only end up using 4MB of it. On the flip side, if I buy the 5.5MB one, will it offer more Ram than say a 4MB card which is cheaper again.
Old 26 August 2023, 23:26   #6
Daedalus

Yeah, all 5.5MB of RAM will be available on the 5.5MB one, whereas 4MB of the 8MB card will be disabled, leaving just 4MB. It all boils down to how often you think you'll be transferring files. If you think you'll do it a lot until you have it set up, then very rarely after that, the 8MB card might make more sense. If you think you'll still regularly transfer files even after you have it set up, then the 5.5MB card makes more sense.
Old 26 August 2023, 23:40   #7
Hatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Yeah, all 5.5MB of RAM will be available on the 5.5MB one, whereas 4MB of the 8MB card will be disabled, leaving just 4MB. It all boils down to how often you think you'll be transferring files. If you think you'll do it a lot until you have it set up, then very rarely after that, the 8MB card might make more sense. If you think you'll still regularly transfer files even after you have it set up, then the 5.5MB card makes more sense.
Thanks.

The way I was looking at it was. I assume you have to physically alter the jumper from 8 to 4MB to enable use of the PCMCIA port, i.e. take the case off and access the jumper. But if you are going to that trouble, wouldn't you just pull the main CF (or SD) card out and transfer it on a PC/Mac? I'm struggling to see the point of the jumper on the 8MB setup but wasn't sure if I was missing something obvious.
Old 27 August 2023, 08:01   #8
derSammler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_H View Post
Most from back in the time didn't (for the A600 that is) - they put their fast RAM in the Zorro II space as well. I can only remember the Apollo card that did, but that was a very unstable card anyway.