English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 02 October 2017, 21:36   #1
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Question Playstation Resident Evil on Amiga!

OK I know others have asked this and most have answered "What is the point!" But I cannot understand why no-one has attempted to offer a real converted version of this iconic game to the Amiga?

After all the Playstation was only 33mhz and had the same amount of colours as the 3rd Gen Amiga's and the screen modes were the same. So why couldn't this be done? < Too much trouble for so little return no doubt?

But just imagine playing the whole of this game in full 3D aspect and watching that cool demo at the start. I am sure that even a 68040 @ 25 or even 68060 @ 50 could handle this right? Specially if there was RTG there too.

All the excellent coders in here, this would be one for you guys right?
Old 02 October 2017, 22:04   #2
s2325
Zone Friend

Maybe someone should try Alone in The Dark first.
Old 02 October 2017, 23:27   #3
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post
Someone who is good at coding 3d vectors .

When I played the first one I thought it might be able to run on a standard A1200. It's just a static back drop and vectors on the top.
Old 02 October 2017, 23:39   #4
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
Someone who is good at coding 3d vectors .

When I played the first one I thought it might be able to run on a standard A1200. It's just a static back drop and vectors on the top.
Exactly what I was thinking!! This is why I am so amazed no-one has done this game for the Amiga yet? I mean it is big enough, spanning 7 video game titles and counting, 6 movies and 3 animation movies.

Come on people!! It's time for an Amiga version !!
Old 03 October 2017, 00:01   #5
s2325
Zone Friend

someone had high coding skills on GameBoy Color with this game:

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 03 October 2017, 00:03   #6
Mrz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2325 View Post

Alone in the dark 1 , 2 and 3 ...all run perfect on any Amiga 040 + AGA using shapeshifter or fusion emulators
Old 03 October 2017, 00:06   #7
DamienD
Banned

You have probably seen this already MigaTech...

Amiga Resident Evil

...yes, it's just a demo and static screens but so far it's all we have on the Amiga in regards to this game.
Old 03 October 2017, 00:13   #8
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
You have probably seen this already MigaTech?

Amiga Resident Evil

...yes, it's just a demo and static screens but so far is all we have on the Amiga.
Yes Thank you DamienD I had seen that, in fact I even tried it when I bought the Amiga Format it was featured in, many moons ago. I thought at the time it wasn't a bad attempt but really wanted the real deal. < Myst style game format doesn't suit Resident Evil.

You all know that the way this game was done is perfect for the Amiga in more ways than one, if you think about it. Most of the Demo scene dudes would know what I mean here.

Personally if someone was to actually do a full Amiga version of this game it would be a big thing. Specially with the fact that the Amiga is lacking in the Video games section.

Last edited by MigaTech; 03 October 2017 at 00:41.
Old 03 October 2017, 23:17   #9
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Surely someone can do this game for the Amiga? I have the PC version here on CDROM. I also have the Playstation version. It is a shame they didn't do it for Mac because then we would have an Amiga version, in theory anyways! LOL!

Customised towered PPC Amiga 1200 with RTG and I cannot play Resident Evil on it !! This needs to be addressed.
Old 03 October 2017, 23:26   #10
Leffmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigaTech View Post
Surely someone can do this game for the Amiga?
The team who made RE had years of prior experience making games, and this game probably took a couple of years to finish as well.

Hate to be a party-pooper, but you're underestimating just how much work is needed to make a game like that, it's not just about plopping down some texturemapped polygons on the screen.
Old 03 October 2017, 23:37   #11
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leffmann View Post
The team who made RE had years of prior experience making games, and this game probably took a couple of years to finish as well.

Hate to be a party-pooper, but you're underestimating just how much work is needed to make a game like that, it's not just about plopping down some texturemapped polygons on the screen.
I figured this already. I mean it took moons to make Another World and Myst but it was worth the hard work. 2 classic awesome video games.

Resident Evil isn't really a power hungry game. Maybe the Directors Cut with the Dogs smashing through the window because the backdrops are no longer static. <Or are they? That stated there could be a way around that right? I have always believed anything is possible within reason.

Resident Evil on the Amiga is definitely within reason.
Old 04 October 2017, 21:50   #12
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

The only other way to run this game on the Amiga, would be to emulate win98 and run the PC version< Would this be easier than doing a Playstation port?
Old 04 October 2017, 21:57   #13
Amiga1992

It would be easier for you to get a Playstation at a car boot sale.
Old 04 October 2017, 22:18   #14
rare_j
Zone Friend

Why don't you just emulate an amiga emulating a mac emulating a windows 98 pc emulating a playstation?

Simples.
Old 04 October 2017, 23:00   #15
DamienD
Banned

Come on guys, MigaTech is just asking various questions.

Yes, maybe it's not possible...

...but there's no need to reply in such a synical manner; can we not have a civil / technical discussion as to why / why not?

This isn't how we should be treating new EAB members is it now?
Old 05 October 2017, 00:47   #16
redblade
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MigaTech View Post
Exactly what I was thinking!! This is why I am so amazed no-one has done this game for the Amiga yet? I mean it is big enough, spanning 7 video game titles and counting, 6 movies and 3 animation movies.

Come on people!! It's time for an Amiga version !!
I was talking about Alone in the Dark, not RE. Alone in the Dark looks like a lot less going on in Vector design, which is why I thought that maybe it could run on a A1200 std.

I had a quick look at the RE speed run on youtube, that looks like a GFX, definately would need something grunty to run it.
Old 05 October 2017, 00:50   #17
jarre

why not focus on amiga as it was,many games/discs/demos are not avalible, focus on the real world, get what you can get what is released or find hidden un-released. do and think about the limits of a real amiga. Don't push it above with emulation.....also AMIGA has its limits, deal with it
Old 05 October 2017, 03:10   #18
rare_j
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
...but there's no need to reply in such a synical manner; can we not have a civil / technical discussion as to why / why not?
Ok, I'll try to answer seriously. I don't think that emulating windows 98 is feasible on an Amiga for a variety of reasons. The CPU architecture is quite different, as is the graphics technology. The requirements for RE on the PC are a Pentium 90. Even with a graphics card and a fast 68060, the results would be disappointing.

With regards to a Playstation port, its difficult to imagine who would want to play it on amiga. The system requirements would be very high, and so very expensive. Surely gamers would go for the original version, or the remake on the gamecube.
With that in mind, it would be a staggering amount of work for what would be at best a curiosity, undoubtedly an inferior experience to the original, for a tiny audience.
On top of it all, the people involved could look forward to a cease and desist from capcom.

I think these are some of the reasons that no one has attempted an RE port.
Old 05 October 2017, 16:02   #19
MigaTech
Only Amiga !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rare_j View Post
Ok, I'll try to answer seriously. I don't think that emulating windows 98 is feasible on an Amiga for a variety of reasons. The CPU architecture is quite different, as is the graphics technology. The requirements for RE on the PC are a Pentium 90. Even with a graphics card and a fast 68060, the results would be disappointing.

With regards to a Playstation port, its difficult to imagine who would want to play it on amiga. The system requirements would be very high, and so very expensive. Surely gamers would go for the original version, or the remake on the gamecube.
With that in mind, it would be a staggering amount of work for what would be at best a curiosity, undoubtedly an inferior experience to the original, for a tiny audience.
On top of it all, the people involved could look forward to a cease and desist from capcom.

I think these are some of the reasons that no one has attempted an RE port.
What an excellent post !! Thank you rare j I really appreciated your comments here. I have always wanted to play Resident Evil on Amiga since back when I first played in the late 1990's. I remember thinking at that time, this is the future of video games.

I knew that the old Amiga specifications wouldn't be up to emulating win98 but thought that maybe PPC or the PPC2 or maybe even the Vampire 1200, could do it? Not only this but I am sure there is enough power to handle a playstation port. OK, so you stated that no-one would want it, but I think it would be a lot more popular than people think. < Lets face it they released the first game 3 times already, in directors cut and the modern remake.

Resident Evil is not as power hungry as Quake yet no sign of an Amiga version. Not sure if many are going to agree with this next statement but I am going to mention it anyways:

I truly believe that the Amiga has made a fantastic retro return in the hardware dept. To do the same in video games, old classics like this has to be a must. < Those that doubt this, just think how many ports of "Another World" have been done for modern machines! < And we all know where that title was born, don't we?

Maybe I am just wishing on stars but what a real shame that this game has yet to make it, to Amiga.
Old 05 October 2017, 16:03   #20
Daedalus

Indeed, and I still think the amount of work involved in a port of such a game is being greatly underestimated. emulation on a classic system is out of the question. While there are both PC and PS1 emulators available, no machines really have the grunt to run PS1 games at full speed. My 060 was able to run Windows 3.1 and Minesweeper with relatively little lag, but it certainly wasn't a pleasant experience, and I can't imagine it would be any better with a far more demanding OS and game.

Bear in mind as well that, while the backgrounds were static, the enemies and players were all textured 3D models, something that's a particular weakspot for the native Amiga chipset; Having the same 24-bit palette isn't enough.

For a powerful machine like a PPC classic, why not look into some of the other ports around. Things like Command & Conquer, Descent: Freespace 1 & 2, Wipeout and so on. All are ports that will make use of the hardware. People tend to do ports of games in which they have a personal interest for whatever reason, and have had their engines open sourced. If you don't have both of those conditions, you'll need to have very deep pockets to make a port happen.