English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 02 July 2018, 15:05   #1
Sim085

Power supply for A1200

Hello, can anyone suggest a power supply for an A1200 with an accelerator card and from where to buy? Ideally one which would fit in an A500 power supply case.
Old 02 July 2018, 15:14   #2
Daedalus

The A500 shipped with a few different power supply types, some bigger than others. However, the Meanwell RPT-50B module (Digi-Key link) should fit in them all with space to spare, and provides 4A on the 5V rail which is enough for most Amiga uses.

Last edited by Daedalus; 02 July 2018 at 16:23.
Old 02 July 2018, 16:47   #3
Solderbro

Here is a ready made product in sale, looks nice.

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=145
Old 02 July 2018, 18:09   #4
Sim085

Well I am more looking to something like this given I want to put it in an A500 power supply case.

What does "Minimum Load Required" mean? I have a normal ATX power supply but sometimes this does not power up the A1200 with the accelerator card because there isn't enough load on it. Would I still be having this issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
The A500 shipped with a few different power supply types, some bigger than others. However, the Meanwell RPT-50B module (Digi-Key link) should fit in them all with space to spare, and provides 4A on the 5V rail which is enough for most Amiga uses.
Old 02 July 2018, 19:09   #5
mpattonm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solderbro View Post
Here is a ready made product in sale, looks nice.

https://lotharek.pl/productdetail.php?id=145
You can always get MeanWell NET-50 tripple output PSU module alone at Aliexpress for as low as 16USD:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orig...734469871.html

But beware, these are not CE/TUV certified, so they are not meant to be sold in Europe. They are not ROHS compliant either, since its a bit outdated product line.

By the way there are chinese knock-offs of this PSU module available at Aliexpress for even lower price. I would not recommend them either.
Old 02 July 2018, 19:17   #6
mpattonm

This is one of them: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/T-50...826856992.html
Visually identical to MeanWell and its just 8 USD!
Old 02 July 2018, 19:41   #7
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sim085 View Post
What does "Minimum Load Required" mean? I have a normal ATX power supply but sometimes this does not power up the A1200 with the accelerator card because there isn't enough load on it. Would I still be having this issue?
ATX supplies aren't designed to run without a computer attached, and need a certain amount of power to be drawn for them to properly regulate their output voltages. If you're below that minimum, a good PSU will switch itself off again, while a poor PSU will stay on even if it can't control its output, potentially allowing the voltages to go out of spec enough to cause instability, or even damage your hardware.

Any PC will draw plenty of power to satisfy most ATX minimum load requirements, so you'll rarely see them specified when you buy on. But you can often download datasheets for them that will tell you the minimum requirement. As a general rule, the higher the maximum output, the higher the minimum load. So a 300W PSU is more likely to work well with an Amiga than a 750W unit.

Meanwell units still have a minimum load, but it's quite low (0.5A for the RPT-60B), and so an Amiga will be enough to let the PSU work well, making them a suitable replacement for the guts of the original unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpattonm View Post
You can always get MeanWell NET-50 tripple output PSU module alone at Aliexpress for as low as 16USD:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Orig...734469871.html
Hmmm, that looks like the RT series, in which case it will only fit in the biggest of A500 PSU cases - many I've seen are a little bit too narrow for those units.

Quote:
But beware, these are not CE/TUV certified, so they are not meant to be sold in Europe. They are not ROHS compliant either, since its a bit outdated product line.
Indeed, and while they're probably still fine (if they are genuine - not everything on Ali is...), for such a small difference in price there seems little point not buying a current, certified unit from a major industrial supplier like RS or Digikey. The RT-50B for example is only £15 from Digikey.

Quote:
By the way there are chinese knock-offs of this PSU module available at Aliexpress for even lower price. I would not recommend them either.
Yikes! I certainly wouldn't put anything like that anywhere near any of my Amigas.
Old 02 July 2018, 20:18   #8
Sim085

I found same model from RS (UK) here:
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/embed...50542D36304226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Indeed, and while they're probably still fine (if they are genuine - not everything on Ali is...), for such a small difference in price there seems little point not buying a current, certified unit from a major industrial supplier like RS or Digikey. The RT-50B for example is only £15 from Digikey.

Last edited by Sim085; 02 July 2018 at 20:24.
Old 27 October 2023, 19:56   #9
Elrick

Hi to all,
Does someone can tell me where to purchase Lotharek Amiga PSU ?
Many thanks in advance
Best Regards.
Old 27 October 2023, 20:05   #10
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

Bearing in mind this thread is now over 5 years old....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrick View Post
Hi to all,
Does someone can tell me where to purchase Lotharek Amiga PSU ?
Many thanks in advance
Best Regards.
Do you guys in France not know about "Google".... The Search Engine.... ?

Google Search for Lotharek Amiga PSU ....

https://lotharek.pl/products.php?id=30

[Quote]
How many people use Google as a search engine?
Google has 4.3 billion users worldwide. Based on 4.72 billion internet users worldwide and a market share of 92.24%. 33. In April 2021, Google had estimated unique visitors of 3.5 billion in the US.

[Unquote]

....and....

[Quote]
What is the most popular search engine in France?
Most used search engines by brand in France 2023 | Statista
Google
We asked French consumers about "Most used search engines by brand" and found that "Google" takes the top spot, while "WebCrawler" is at the other end of the ranking. These results are based on a representative online survey conducted in 2023 among 2,029 consumers in France.29 Aug 2023

[Unquote]

Many "Thanks in advance" is very much appreciated & you are more than welcome!

EAB post count +1...

Last edited by Kin Hell; 27 October 2023 at 20:19.
Old 28 October 2023, 09:14   #11
GWhizz

Good info thanks guys