English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 28 January 2009, 00:10   #1
Amiga1992

Cartridge *software* for A500... Possible?

I always wondered if it is possible to create cartridge software for the A500...
the original Lorraine design had a cartridge port for these issues, but that never appeared on teh A500... or did it?

The Action Replay cartridge bolts onto the expansion Zorro bus on the side, and it has software in its ROM that loads when freezing etc...

Could this Zorro bus be used for cartridge based software like games? What are the limitations and possibilities of this? I think it could be pretty cool to try.

Here's looking forward to the expert opinions that I always find at the EAB
And I say sorry in advance if this is an absolutely retarded thing to ask/say!
Old 28 January 2009, 02:40   #2
rkauer
I hate potatos and shirts

Send a message via MSN to rkauer Send a message via Yahoo to rkauer
It is possible. But worths the hassle?

You need to make a version dedicated to the A500/1000, another for Zorro Amigas and not a single version for A600/1200.

Also remember you need to toss the dedicated boot code inside the ROM cartdridge, too.

If the Amiga is slightly incompatible...
Old 28 January 2009, 06:01   #3
Amiga1992

Of course, this would be just for A500...
This would be ghetto software

So now, what are the limitations?
What's a dedicated boot code?
What id I can gather a group of people crazy enough to want to do this? Actually, I think I have already
Old 28 January 2009, 11:26   #4
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I'm sure you could hack winuae for developing all you need. If you were serious.
Old 28 January 2009, 13:35   #5
Jope
-

Easiest way is probably to make it autoconfigurable and have the cartridge show up as a mem block and a smaller block (perhaps looking like IO).. Have your code in a large mem block and then use the smaller block for the "driver", that has a romtag so that exec.device runs it on bootup.

Your "driver" will then determine where your code got allocated in the great autoconfig lottery and start running the code.
Old 28 January 2009, 15:38   #6
Amiga1992

Hmm, interesting.
And how big can the ROM be? What's the limitation?
Old 28 January 2009, 16:46   #7
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
autoconfig space for Zorro 2 machines is 8 mbs. But with some clever coding, you may use an area as swap and read as necessary from the ROM maybe ? (will require some bank switching at the ROM side also I guess)
Old 29 January 2009, 10:52   #8
Jope
-

There's some more autoconfig space at E90000-EFFFFF
Old 29 January 2009, 12:23   #9
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
great autoconfig lottery
Old 29 January 2009, 12:23   #10
yaqube

Amiga designers allocated 512KB for cartridge space ($F00000-$F7FFFF).
IIRC immediately after reset Kickstart code checks if the first word of this area is $1111 and if so jumps to execute the cartridge code. It's done very early even before hardware test (changing screen colours).

Such solution simplifies the construction of a cartridge: you need a 256K x 16-bit ROM (or two 256K x 8-bit ROMs) and an address decoder (probably 2 TTL chips or one PAL).

To increase ROM size you could use some kind of bank-switching.

Action Replay Mk II uses this space as well as some Phase5 accelerators.
Old 29 January 2009, 13:36   #11
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

ROM is not a problem (easy solution: replace KS ROM with >=1M EPROM + do some simple address line hacking)

Problem is write-only custom registers. You need extra hardware that snoops CPU writes to custom registers (basically keeping a backup copy of custom registers in cartridge's hidden RAM, Action Replays, Nordic Power etc does it this way. They also do the same for CIA registers)

Exiting the cartridge software will be very unreliable without custom register backup. (and it still isn't fully compatible if program uses copper to update write-only registers..)

Also without some extra hardware it is really easy to "kill" the cartridge (by modifying VBR and/or exception vectors)

btw, Action Replay I uses 0xf0000 area. II and III uses other tricks (which makes it practically invisible).
Old 29 January 2009, 19:13   #12
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by coze View Post
autoconfig space for Zorro 2 machines is 8 mbs.
Megabits? or MBs (megabytes)?
Old 29 January 2009, 19:57   #13
redblade
Zone Friend

I'm guessing it'd be 8mb because there were RAM add ons for the A500 that boosted it up to 8mb ram.

@yaqube: you say the developers allowed a 512kb ROM, just wondering why you were suggesting to use just one 256KB ROM.
Old 29 January 2009, 20:03   #14
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
I'm guessing it'd be 8mb because there were RAM add ons for the A500 that boosted it up to 8mb ram.
You mean MB, not mb (or Mb)
MB = Megabyte, Mb = Megabit

Stop confusing me :P

8MBs is the space for extension RAM but I am talking about how big the ROM can be, or how big stuff I can put there for my software to run (executavle code, data, etc). Seems like it's 512KB and more could be added with bankswitching.
Old 29 January 2009, 20:22   #15
yaqube

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
@yaqube: you say the developers allowed a 512kb ROM, just wondering why you were suggesting to use just one 256KB ROM.
That's not right. I said you need one 256K x 16-bit ROM chip which is equivalent to 4Mb or 512KB. Or two chips of 256KB (8-bit wide) each.
Old 29 January 2009, 21:12   #16
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
Hmm I guess somethings a miss here. Why do you need to track a copy of custom chipset ? What we want to do is just copy a program from ROM to RAM and execute it ? I think what Akira wants to do is put some games or stuff into a cartridge which will be bootable directly. Action Replay is a utility which has to be invisible and track what's happening without messing around. But our application don't have to be careful like that. when we exit, just reset the computer ?
Old 30 January 2009, 03:59   #17
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by coze View Post
Hmm I guess somethings a miss here. Why do you need to track a copy of custom chipset ? What we want to do is just copy a program from ROM to RAM and execute it ? I think what Akira wants to do is put some games or stuff into a cartridge which will be bootable directly. Action Replay is a utility which has to be invisible and track what's happening without messing around. But our application don't have to be careful like that. when we exit, just reset the computer ?
Yeah!
Is actually necessary to copy the program to RAM? Can't we access the data straight from the ROM at the same speed? I'm not exactly sure how it works on a console like the Genesis, but I am looking to achieve a similar workframe.

There's no need for stealthiness, no need for OS, no need for clea nexits (exiting means turning off the computer )
Old 30 January 2009, 08:08   #18
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Yeah!
Is actually necessary to copy the program to RAM? Can't we access the data straight from the ROM at the same speed? I'm not exactly sure how it works on a console like the Genesis, but I am looking to achieve a similar workframe.

There's no need for stealthiness, no need for OS, no need for clea nexits (exiting means turning off the computer )
Ok, I thought you asked about software based freezer cartridge.

Anyway, as I already answered, just use big enough EPROM in KS ROM socket

68000 based Amigas' ROMs do not have any extra wait states.
Old 30 January 2009, 08:15   #19
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Could this Zorro bus be used for cartridge based software like games? What are the limitations and possibilities of this? I think it could be pretty cool to try.
Arcadia (A500 based arcade system) apparently had ROM board attached to A500 expansion slot. (but it had lots of small ROM chips)

It didn't use autoconfig to configure the board (it was hardwired to absolute address) but it had small autoconfig "ROM" that handled autobooting the ROM code.
Old 30 January 2009, 09:34   #20
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Arcadia (A500 based arcade system) apparently had ROM board attached to A500 expansion slot. (but it had lots of small ROM chips)

It didn't use autoconfig to configure the board (it was hardwired to absolute address) but it had small autoconfig "ROM" that handled autobooting the ROM code.
Which was the approach I suggested.. :-)