English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 14 October 2023, 21:35   #1
Brunty

Mediator and FastATA

Hi folks.

I've just gone and bought a new mediator TX+F (I think they've called it) as an upgrade from my original mediator I've been using since forever.

It seems to be functional, but the FastATA isn't recognised any more.

Does anyone have any experience of this before I start tearing things apart?
I've managed to boot up using the ide port on my TF1260, but obviously my main drives aren't seen.

Thanks!
Old 15 October 2023, 11:29   #2
Brunty

Hi Boing-Ball

I've had a tinker this morning, it looks like it's the FastATA board that sits on top of the Gayle chip. It's the mk4 FastATA and it's been a bit flaky in the past, my old mk3 is still doing fine in a desktop A1200!

This was a simple change from an original Mediator to a new one so I wasn't expecting any issues, perhaps the variations in temperature we've got at the moment coupled with me disturbing the hardware that caused this issue.

Anyway, it's nice to know that others out there have got similar setups
Also, I enquired about fitting an Indivision with the Mediator ages ago, but was told that they didn't fit together. You don't have any photos of yours and how it works, do you?
Old 17 October 2023, 22:17   #3
Brunty

Wow. I used my original mediator since about 2000 with an Apollo 060 and never suffered any heat problems. Granted the PPC runs pretty warm I believe.
I've been running an ATX power supply for a few years now with an adapter to connect to the mediator's AT socket. It's nice being able to plug it straight in to the new mediator. I've had to slightly rewire the switches on the tower. I've got one of the original Power Towers.
I also have a flicker fixer scan doubler, but would prefer an Indivision, they just never seem to be available!