English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 30 May 2015, 06:50   #1
vertigo

cf card plus ide drive

Hi, currently I have an 8gb master and 4gb slave both cf cards. I also have a 40gb ide 2-1/2 drive which I can use as a master no problem, its formatted with sfs.

Problem is I want to use the ide drive as a slave to my 8gb main but it won't work, I have the ide drive jumpered as a slave, like the working 4gb cf but the Amiga won't even boot. Any ideas please?
Old 30 May 2015, 09:21   #2
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Some drives just will not work together with cf cards.
Old 30 May 2015, 09:50   #3
vertigo

Yes, it seems I'm unlucky then. Just to add its an Amigakit rear adapter with a ide cable with two connections. I was wondering if there was a problem due to having two bootable dh0 drives, I can get to the early boot and they are listed as are all partitions but choosing either still locks the Amiga.
Old 31 May 2015, 01:37   #4
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo View Post
i was wondering if there was a problem due to having two bootable dh0 drives.
pz.
Old 31 May 2015, 02:04   #5
thomas

Quote:
I was wondering if there was a problem due to having two bootable dh0 drives, I can get to the early boot and they are listed as are all partitions but choosing either still locks the Amiga.
If you see all partitions of both drives in early-startup but cannot boot, it's a software problem IMHO, not something with cabling or such. In order to read the partition table it has already accessed both drives seperately and has read data from them.

It's more likely file system code which needs a higher CPU model than your current Amiga has or different file systems with the same DOS type or the boot partiton with the highest priority is not accessible, for example because of lacking >4GB support or missing file system code.

Having mutiple boot partitions is no problem. It takes the one with the higest priority. Or just the first it finds if priorities are equal.

Duplicate names are not an issue, either, the second partition gets a .1 appended to its name.
Old 31 May 2015, 09:15   #6
vertigo

Thanks for the info Thomas. I have an a1200 with an mtec 1230 with 8meg ram. I have the 40gb hard drive partitioned with sfs v1.84, 4 partitions, with dh0: being around 700mb. The scsi device is the one recommended by you in the wiki, cant think now but its maybe 45-43? I could not use sfs v277 for some reason ,again mentioned in your wiki. The 8gb cf is partitioned with 3 partitions dh0 around 500mb but is partitioned with sfs 277 and I think the SCSI was doobrays or similar. I may go back and redo the 8gb with the same sfs version and SCSI device if that sounds like a problem.
Old 31 May 2015, 12:36   #7
thomas

Quote:
Thanks for the info Thomas. I have an a1200 with an mtec 1230 with 8meg ram. I have the 40gb hard drive partitioned with sfs v1.84, 4 partitions, with dh0: being around 700mb. The scsi device is the one recommended by you in the wiki, cant think now but its maybe 45-43? I could not use sfs v277 for some reason ,again mentioned in your wiki. The 8gb cf is partitioned with 3 partitions dh0 around 500mb but is partitioned with sfs 277 and I think the SCSI was doobrays or similar. I may go back and redo the 8gb with the same sfs version and SCSI device if that sounds like a problem.
There is your problem: you can have only one version of each file system and one version of the IDE driver.

File systems are loaded from disk and registered with Filesystem.resoure using the DOS type as unique key. Unique means there can be only one entry per DOS type. If a duplicate entry is found, it uses the one with the highest version number.

Therefore for DOS type SFS\0 (0x53465300) in your system, version 1.277 of SmartFileSystem is used. But you say your HDD has problems with this version.

The same with scsi.device. You say that the HDD has some version and the CF has another version. That's not true. It activates the one which is loaded by the current boot partition and uses this for both drives.

You have to find a common set of drivers / file systems which works for both drives and install it on both.
Old 31 May 2015, 14:37   #8
vertigo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
There is your problem: you can have only one version of each file system and one version of the IDE driver.

File systems are loaded from disk and registered with Filesystem.resoure using the DOS type as unique key. Unique means there can be only one entry per DOS type. If a duplicate entry is found, it uses the one with the highest version number.

Therefore for DOS type SFS\0 (0x53465300) in your system, version 1.277 of SmartFileSystem is used. But you say your HDD has problems with this version.

The same with scsi.device. You say that the HDD has some version and the CF has another version. That's not true. It activates the one which is loaded by the current boot partition and uses this for both drives.

You have to find a common set of drivers / file systems which works for both drives and install it on both.
Thanks thomas, i suppose it was on my mind i was using two versions but was not certain it would make a difference. I started with 277 on the cf card but ran into problems trying to use it on the ide drive. So reading the wiki it seemed possible 184 would be compatable, which it seemed to be, as a master ide drive. I suppose i was thinking sfs 1.277 would be compatible with an earlier version of sfs.

I think when I get time I will redo the cf card with 1.84 and see if it makes a difference. Thanks for your input.