English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 31 October 2020, 00:07   #1
Orionis5

Unhappy Amiga 1200 Weird boot problem - hard to solve

I came back to Amiga 1200 with buying A1 board and it is recapped.
Now I have weird problem that brings back memories of weird times with old computers.

I have Amiga 1200 rev 1A and it boots normally on power up and restart with keys. Playing games is stable.
Only problem I have is when I go to boot menu and press button Boot, setting do not matter.
When I press boot it displays two type of problems:
- Hangs for moment, power starts flashing (around 6 times), reboots and then error displays. After that boots normally with remembered settings from boot menu.
- Fully hangs without picture signal. I have to restart with keys. Then it shows same error and after boots normally with remembered settings from boot menu.

Error is 8064 FF64 0002730 (always the same).

Sometimes it boots normally from boot menu and even on failures it remembers settings so I can use it as set from menu like floppy disable...

Really weird problem and I really doubt I will find answer to except if it fails completely.
Only extra clue is that at the beginning of using it I encountered brief RED screen when booted from boot menu with selected setting Original Chip Type. Then scenarios as written above. Now I do not see any red screen anymore just boot problems from boot menu.

I have no accelerator. Only Compact Flash and Floppy. Using Kickstart 3.1
Old 31 October 2020, 00:14   #2
jotd
This cat is no more

probably stupid question: why do you need the boot menu?

If this is the only issue, my answer is: find a way not to need the boot menu.
Old 31 October 2020, 00:16   #3
Orionis5

Boot menu is excellent for turning off floppy drive so it does not make noises when you play hard drive games.
Also some games like original chipset...
Old 31 October 2020, 00:27   #4
jotd
This cat is no more

okay:

- you can get rid of AGA chipset with "setchiprev" command, and turn off cache with "CPU" command
- there are anticlick programs for floppy drives or probably even programs that are able to do that without boot menu

If it is your only problem, there are tons of workarounds.

I understand that you have no fastmem, so you can't use whdload (which would solve both problems immediately). You can try CD32load (which might work on a lot of games actually, for instance try silkworm whdload install with CD32load: it boots on a 1MB A600 IDE machine): CD32load uses hardware banging IDE commands, if your CF is FFS formatted it could work, and with 2MB chip a lot of games that usually don't work from hard drive work (even some AGA ones actually).

Other way: use a startup sequence with anticlick program.

Then to run your games from HD you probably use scripts for assigns, etc. so add "setchiprev ECS" or any other degrader to remove AGA for games which don't like it.

If with my advice you realize that you don't need boot menu and if it's the only issue with your machine, don't try to fix it, really!
Old 31 October 2020, 13:50   #5
Kin Hell

Remove the CF device completely. - Boot menu okay or no?

Try a different CF card....

Try a MicroDrive in the CF adapter you are using at present....
Old 31 October 2020, 13:54   #6
solarmon

Use Amiga Test Kit to perform some health checks - and run a long (more than 100 round) memory check.
Old 31 October 2020, 13:54   #7
solarmon

...and...has it been recapped?

EDIT: sorry - just saw in OP that it has been recapped.

Last edited by solarmon; 31 October 2020 at 13:56. Reason: it has been recapped...
Old 31 October 2020, 15:37   #8
Orionis5

jotd- I see you have great knowledge in Amiga. Thanks for tips. You are right about fixing this. If this is not simple CF or kickstart problem, then finding where the problem is, would be almost impossible and not very productive. I just hope for somebody with great knowledge in amiga hardware, that knows what exactly happens when you click the damn boot button that is different then normal boot.
Old 31 October 2020, 15:40   #9
Orionis5

Kin Hell and solarmon. Will try with CF. I did already used this CF adapter on orher Amiga without problems. Only difference was, that I used different CF card and that Amiga has Budgie rev 1.
Old 31 October 2020, 17:43   #10
jotd
This cat is no more

No problem. It's just that I'm not a hardware expert just a games/software "expert" (more a whdload expert), and I'm trying to solve your problem based on your requirements.

Personally the only reason I use the boot menu is to boot without startup sequence... And that too can be workarounded by using a startup sequence that checks for a button to be pressed and if it's pressed it stops... Same thing.
Old 31 October 2020, 21:15   #11
Orionis5

jotd - Do you know something that I do not ? Last time I used Amiga was in the year 2011.
Anyway why I am asking. I also tested second Amiga, this time 1D4 board with Kickstart 3.1.4, different CF board and different CF card, also with Gotek instead of floppy...anyway completely different setup..and damn similar symptom. Sometimes freeze, only difference is that here sometimes besides red color it shows yellow collor. I have to manually restart with keys and then it boots with selected settings !

Anyway weird. Is this perhaps normal with this latest CF cards used ?
I excluded power supply. Tested 2 new (from amiga shop) and even original ! Same with all.
Also this two amigas were recapped by 2 different persons, only thing they share is "timing fix" if that can affect this.
Also forget to add. This is not only related to Boot menu, every software induced restart can be affected. Like setting up hard disk when you are prompted that computer will restart, can also have the same symptom.

I am getting too old for this )) Any ideas ?

Last edited by Orionis5; 31 October 2020 at 21:24.
Old 01 November 2020, 12:45   #12
Kin Hell

Being a Hardware kind of Guy & for my money, it's the brand/type of CF probably causing the issue.

1D4 & 3.1.4 ROM's here; Terrible time trying to get an mSATA device running properly; - 40+ second boot times; HD LED always half on; - Random start-up's with several 3 finger salutes for the Amiga to see the device; - Red Screens immediately after Cold Power up with flashing Power LED;

Switched back to a 6GB MicroDrive on a 44Pin to CF Adapter & no more issues at all.
Old 02 November 2020, 13:44   #13
Orionis5

Kin Hell - You got a point there.
Actually this is my first time using CF devices on amiga. Years ago I had a real IDE drive in it.
Interesting that we got res screen sometimes like kickstart problem.
Which CF adapter are you using ?
I have old ones bought years ago but used them now.
Also are you using accelerator board ? Wonder if this can work different with accelerator.

Anyone having problems on software reset like me ? I stopped using Boot menu problem since this is more related to Amiga not being able to reboot with software.
Looks like something affects software reboot to properly boot sometimes, until I restart with keys but it actually remembers setting used so it is not full amiga crash.
Old 24 November 2020, 23:55   #14
Orionis5

UPDATE:

Stripped my Amiga 1200 1A board.
Excluded problem with CF, adapter for CF, PSU, Floppy, Shield.
I even tried kickstart from spare NTSC board that does not have this issues and same issue on this board 1A. Freeze on most of booting from boot menu or software restart, sometimes with RED screen, sometimes just black, sometime restarting by itself, sometime I have to restart. Really weird problem and only cause can be:
- Recapping capacitors
- Timing fix that was done - removal 123 and 125 C
- I damaged kickstart sockets somehow and at exactly the same way to show same problem on both recapped amigas 1A and 1D4.
- House wiring
- Bad karma

My spare 1D4 NTSC that is not recapped but is missing 123C and 125C by default, has no such problem

Anyway I am tired of this and starting to think I need to sold all Amiga stuff. Too old to investigate this.
Any ideas ?
Old 26 November 2020, 17:18   #15
Orionis5

Decided to leave this to handle by an expert. Sent to Hese.
If he founds a problem and fix it, excellent. I support him with funds and I save time of bothering. WIN-WIN
If he founds no problem and is a problem my bad karma. WIN is the same ;-)
Old 26 November 2020, 20:17   #16
redblade
Zone Friend

I'm sure Americans would easily buy your NTSC 1200 board as those are hard to find???
Old 28 November 2020, 18:51   #17
Orionis5

Quote:
Originally Posted by redblade View Post
I'm sure Americans would easily buy your NTSC 1200 board as those are hard to find???
Actually this board was hard to sell years ago on Vesalia site, where I bought it. I know PAL was sold out but NTSC remained for months in stock.

I admit board needs proper respect and hence I will getting it recapped.

I still think Amiga is more popular in EU and PAL is more preferred but I could be wrong.