English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 09 June 2020, 14:35   #1
Liam Hallows

Struggling to create Partitions on my 4GB Transcend 133x CompactFlash

Hi,

I have been trying for last 30-48ish hours(and so getting very little sleep, had to take a break and play some settlers 3 on my win98 pc for a bit lol) to set up my CompactFlash and install ClassicWB for my A1200 using WinUAE, but after saving the new partitions, clicking exit and rebooting it just won't see the partitions, I go back into HDToolbox and it's like nothing has happened(like it's gone back to before I partitioned everything). I have been following both of these guides:
[ Show youtube player ] (nostalgia nerd's tutorial)
and the more up to date tutorial here: https://johan.driessen.se/posts/Sett...miga-600-1200/

But no matter what I do I get the same problem over and over. I've tried both of the two CFs I have and both getting the same issue and yes, I have cleaned both of them using diskpart.

If anyone could help or maybe point me in the right direction then that would be great thank you!

Many Thanks

Liam Hallows
Old 09 June 2020, 14:48   #2
solarmon

Have you tried running WinUAE as Administrator and also (after creating the partitions) closing WinUAE completely and starting it again (as Administrator)?
Old 09 June 2020, 15:00   #3
Liam Hallows

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarmon View Post
Have you tried running WinUAE as Administrator and also (after creating the partitions) closing WinUAE completely and starting it again (as Administrator)?
I had WinUAE to run as administrator and I have just tried creating the partitions and then restarting the emulator and I have the same outcome, nothing is being detected in workbench
Old 09 June 2020, 16:21   #4
Honey Badger

An archived page of CF card for Amiga instructions I've used successfully ...

https://web.archive.org/web/20180923...nuae-and-pfs3/
Old 09 June 2020, 21:04   #5
Liam Hallows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
An archived page of CF card for Amiga instructions I've used successfully ...

https://web.archive.org/web/20180923...nuae-and-pfs3/
Hi,

Thank You! I followed the dropbox link on this post and downloaded the files. I then downloaded an early version of WinUAE and copied them over to my windows 7 setup I have on my rig which I use for lightscribing discs. I then proceeded to do everything I did before except on an early version of WinUAE(version 3.6 I believe) and using an early version of the PFS file handler thing I got through the dropbox files all via my windows 7 setup and it worked! I finally saw DH0, DH1, DH2 and DH3 after I restarting the Amiga system all ready to be formated.

Now I just need to install ClassicWB but thank you for the reply!

Liam Hallows
Old 14 June 2020, 20:01   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Did you change both PC and WinUAE version at the same time? It is not going to be WinUAE version because I use CF cards very regularly.

Usual reasons:

- bad adapter. This is very common, normal file transfers to/from FAT formatted drives work but not direct drive access. Sometimes adepter only work with older Windows versions. (Probably don't follow spec and respond incorrectly to feature request that didn't exists when the adapter was made)
- some paranoid virus/security software thinking WinUAE is trying to do something nasty and blocking direct writes.
- it was also noticed that some Windows/driver/mainboard combinations refuses block zero writes for some unknown reason. Nowadays this seems to be very rare.
Old 14 June 2020, 20:15   #7
Liam Hallows

Yes I changed both Windows version and WinUAE Version so unfortunately, I am unable to confirm whether it was the change in the operating system or the emulator which solved the issue.

However, the actual computer, as in the hardware itself, wasn't changed at all as I just installed my old copy of windows 7 pro onto my old 600GB hdd that I still have lying around in my current computer.

So the only things I changed was the Windows version(and where it was installed obviously) and the WinUAE version, but again, I can't confirm which change actually solved the issue.