English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 26 June 2007, 16:39   #1
NfernalNfluence

i hear that PAL/NTSC mode is switchable ...

...with later revisions of the chipset. i have at least an ECS Agnus Chip so how is this accomplished? i'd like to play some PAL games that are otherwise unplayable under my A500's default configuration.
Old 27 June 2007, 03:08   #2
VermillioN

yup.. just enter the boot menu after a reset, (hold both mb's), and press any key.. it will instantly togggle between PAL & NTSC.

Old 27 June 2007, 04:06   #3
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VermillioN
yup.. just enter the boot menu after a reset, (hold both mb's), and press any key.. it will instantly togggle between PAL & NTSC.
Not with kickstart 1.3 afaik. I heard that only PAL A500s can be hardware switched to NTSC but NTSC ones couldnt do PAL.

Have a look around on aminet in hard hacks I did add a switch to one of my PAL a500s for NTSC mode.
Old 27 June 2007, 14:59   #4
OddbOd

Nothing to do with Kickstart mate in fact it can even be soft switched on an OCS machine machine using a copper trick, Codetapper and Toni explain it much better than I can in this thread. 60Hz Emulator is an implementation of this technique (I think) and should work on any machine, it stays resident so it will survive reboots just like the old Hacktrick.60Hz utility which does require ECS. I couldn't remember the exact details for the hardware switch, something to do with pulling up a leg on Agnus, but there is a schemtaic for a decent debounced switcher with indicator LED, here.
Old 27 June 2007, 15:09   #5
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddbOd
Nothing to do with Kickstart mate in fact it can even be soft switched on an OCS machine machine using a copper trick, Codetapper and Toni explain it much better than I can in this thread. 60Hz Emulator is an implementation of this technique (I think) and should work on any machine, it stays resident so it will survive reboots just like the old Hacktrick.60Hz utility which does require ECS. I couldn't remember the exact details for the hardware switch, something to do with pulling up a leg on Agnus, but there is a schemtaic for a decent debounced switcher with indicator LED, here.
Yes but there is no early boot menu accessed by holding down the two mouse buttons in kick 1.3 is the point I was trying to make.
Old 27 June 2007, 15:15   #6
OddbOd

I realise that and it may be perfectly clear to some people but others may have assumed you meant it was not possible at all under 1.3, I wasn't disputing what you were saying just attempting to clarify it.

Edit: Found what I was originally thinking of, SwitchInst is a generic patcher that can force your system to PAL (or NTSC) by modifying the bootblock (including custom loaders) directly so it can be used on practically any disk. It only works under 1.3 AFAIK and can break custom bootblocks so only use it on backup floppies.

Last edited by OddbOd; 27 June 2007 at 16:45.
Old 27 June 2007, 20:52   #7
NfernalNfluence

Quote:
Edit: Found what I was originally thinking of, SwitchInst is a generic patcher that can force your system to PAL (or NTSC) by modifying the bootblock (including custom loaders) directly so it can be used on practically any disk. It only works under 1.3 AFAIK and can break custom bootblocks so only use it on backup floppies.
great! but it doesn't seem to like pirated software. (or is it the other way around) message is clear and fills entire screen. the first disk i tried, i was denied

anything else like the above tool without restrictions or having to load the workbench disk prior to game?

Last edited by NfernalNfluence; 27 June 2007 at 21:08.
Old 27 June 2007, 21:11   #8
ppill
CON: artist

Why not try Degrader? It can switch between NTSC/PAL and surives a reboot.
Old 28 June 2007, 00:31   #9
NfernalNfluence

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppill
Why not try Degrader? It can switch between NTSC/PAL and surives a reboot.

under WinUAE it survives only a "single" reboot. hopefully, i get a different result when i fire up the amiga.
Old 05 July 2007, 13:29   #10
NfernalNfluence

Quote:
Nothing to do with Kickstart mate in fact it can even be soft switched on an OCS machine machine using a copper trick. 60Hz Emulator is an implementation of this technique (I think) and should work on any machine, it stays resident so it will survive reboots.

ok, i've extracted 3 files to a blank adf but can't access anything on WB1.3. how do i activate the switch with 60Hz Emulator?
Old 05 July 2007, 17:26   #11
OddbOd

The disk has to be bootable for you to run anything on it, so, boot from your Workbench disk, open up a shell and enter the command install ? a prompt should appear, insert the disk that has the 60Hz Emulator files on it and wait for it's icon to appear, now at the install prompt enter df0: and press enter. If you reset the computer the disk should boot up to a command prompt at which point you simply enter 60HzEmulator and hit enter, the program should start and pressing <LEFT-ALT>+<LEFT-SHIFT>+<CTRL>+0 toggles between 50Hz and 60Hz modes.

What happened with Degrader? Did it not work or haven't you tried it.
Old 05 July 2007, 22:15   #12
NfernalNfluence

Quote:
simply enter 60HzEmulator and hit enter, the program should start
it says "installed" and then i'm right back at command prompt. do i enter another command?

Quote:
and pressing <LEFT-ALT>+<LEFT-SHIFT>+<CTRL>+0 toggles between 50Hz and 60Hz modes.
how do you know which mode it's in? nothing noticeably happens except for a brief flicker. anything left prior to inserting random PAL title & reseting?

Quote:
What happened with Degrader? Did it not work or haven't you tried it.
it worked under WinUAE but only after a single reboot. i'm sure i can at least get the same result on my "ECS" agnus a500 NTSC model

i also own an "OCS" chipset a500 NTSC model which is why i'm hoping this particular tool works.

incidentally, what key combination to press for warm boot on WinUAE?

Last edited by NfernalNfluence; 05 July 2007 at 22:24.
Old 06 July 2007, 07:05   #13
NfernalNfluence

ok, i got the program to work. forgot the amiga isn't yet perfectly emulated through WinUAE.
Old 06 July 2007, 07:49   #14
NfernalNfluence

nope, i couldn't get it to make some of the unplayable PAL games playable!

it's probably more effective with an ECS Agnus chip
Old 06 July 2007, 11:05   #15
OddbOd

Some European software won't work on an OCS NTSC machine no matter what you do, the chipset only supports a single video standard, the 60Hz emulator hack will only allow a PAL OCS machine to fake NTSC it does not work the other way around (AFAIK). An ECS A500 connected to a Composite/RGB monitor or a multi-standard TV will run anything you throw at it.
Old 06 July 2007, 12:16   #16
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NfernalNfluence
it worked under WinUAE but only after a single reboot. i'm sure i can at least get the same result on my "ECS" agnus a500 NTSC model
Most likely not a WinUAE bug but using 1MB chip with KS 1.3 which results in reset proof programs getting erased at boot. (KS bug)
Old 06 July 2007, 12:35   #17
ppill
CON: artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen
Most likely not a WinUAE bug but using 1MB chip with KS 1.3 which results in reset proof programs getting erased at boot. (KS bug)
So this would explain why I can't get hackdisk.device to stay resident on my A600 with 1.3 ROM taken from an A500.
Old 25 August 2010, 14:11   #18
Mike55

On my A2000 I have a toggle switch that I can flip so that I can select NTSC or PAL. Works for me as I have many European Demos in Pal.