ChrisUnionNJ
Amibay Mod/Staff

Catweasel MK4 Plus Help

Hi all
I just got a catweasel MK4 plus I know but it was dirt cheap
the problem I'm having is it keeps telling me The Third
Party Inf Does Not Contain Digital Signature Information
what I want to know is the anyway to change the inf to
trick win Xp to install them my setup below..
XP home 2002 version SP3

Old 30 May 2011, 22:35   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Hi Chris,
What drivers were bundled with the card?
This is the official drivers page for Individual Computers products, including the Catweasels:
http://siliconsonic.de/t/bin/
In the first instance, try the CWMK42600.zip file.

The latest beta drivers are available on this page:
http://beta.icomp.de/
Scroll down till you get to the Catweasel 32bit drivers and tools.

I'm surprised that your drivers don't have the correct digital signatures. Jens is most particular about supporting 'proper' (Win2K and later) operating systems.
Old 31 May 2011, 00:44   #3
ChrisUnionNJ
Amibay Mod/Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by prowler View Post
Hi Chris,
What drivers were bundled with the card?
This is the official drivers page for Individual Computers products, including the Catweasels:
http://siliconsonic.de/t/bin/
In the first instance, try the CWMK42600.zip file.

The latest beta drivers are available on this page:
http://beta.icomp.de/
Scroll down till you get to the Catweasel 32bit drivers and tools.

I'm surprised that your drivers don't have the correct digital signatures. Jens is most particular about supporting 'proper' (Win2K and later) operating systems.
V 2.6.0.0 also tried the beta still the same i'll try it in safe mode see what happens..
Old 31 May 2011, 04:18   #4
Hewitson

Whenever I've seen Windows complain about signatures, it's given the option to continue installing the drivers anyway.
Old 31 May 2011, 05:20   #5
ChrisUnionNJ
Amibay Mod/Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
Whenever I've seen Windows complain about signatures, it's given the option to continue installing the drivers anyway.
I can count on one hand how many times it happened and that was when they made the jump to XP..

But good news I got them installed I had to use CWMK4020407 to make it
work the sid driver from this version reset my system so and I have no
clue why but it let me install the newer version so thanks all for your help
more testing when I get back from Atlantic City NJ..

Old 31 May 2011, 22:31   #6
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisUnionNJ View Post
But good news I got them installed I had to use CWMK4020407 to make it
work the sid driver from this version reset my system so and I have no
clue why but it let me install the newer version so thanks all for your help
more testing when I get back from Atlantic City NJ..

Thanks for that report, Chris!

I've not tried my PCI Catweasels in WinXP yet.
Old 31 May 2011, 23:22   #7
ChrisUnionNJ
Amibay Mod/Staff

Quote:
Thanks for that report, Chris!

Give it a try see if you run into the same problems maybe mine was a fluke.

Old 31 May 2011, 23:40   #8
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisUnionNJ View Post
Quote:
Give it a try see if you run into the same problems maybe mine was a fluke.

I was going to add that I probably won't ever try them in WinXP now that I've got myself a KryoFlux to play with, but I might as well have a go now after all just to see if I can reproduce your problems.

I don't have a MK4 Plus; just a MK3 and MK4, so I'll try the MK4.
Old 03 June 2011, 02:07   #9
prowler
Global Moderator

This evening, I successfully installed my Catweasel MK4 in WinXP Pro SP2, but of course it wasn't straightforward.

Before installing the card, because of previous reports on EAB that the latest beta drivers and tools are far better than previous versions, I extracted those archives into a folder on my desktop to use as a source for when Windows' Install New Hardware Wizard requested a driver disk.

I then fitted the card in a spare PCI slot and hooked up a Sony MPF920-E/131 3½-inch 1440K floppy as a dedicated Catweasel drive (the recommended configuration) using the supplied cable as Unit 0: (after the cable twist) to the Catweasel's black floppy data connector.

On powering up the machine, the PCI catweasel controller was detected by the New Hardware Wizard, which I directed to the folder where I had extracted the beta drivers and the catwea2k.sys driver was installed. The Wizard warned me that the driver was not digitally signed, but I asked it to continue anyway.

Next, the Catweasel's floppy drive was detected, and the catdri2k.sys driver was installed. Again, I was warned that the driver was not digitally signed.

I cancelled the requesters for the various input device drivers, because I did not wish to install those.

The problems began when I started up the ImageTool, whereupon Unit 0: was reported as a 360RPM 5¼-inch drive!

Nevertheless, I inserted an AmigaDOS floppy in the Sony drive and clicked the "Read Disk" button (Amiga DD 880K format had been selected by default before I inserted the disk). The drive began spinning alright, the activity light working and I could hear the drive heads stepping from one cylinder to the next, but every sector on the disk was reported as bad!

I had to abort the operation, or else it would have retried the default 99 times! I tried to detect the disk format manually, but the message "Error reading disk" popped up.

I was sure of the disk drive and cable as I had used them recently, so I replaced the Amiga floppy disk with a 720K MS-DOS formatted floppy, but the problem persisted.

The Catweasel User Manual lists the catweasel controller properties and the possible values for their settings in the cwconfig.ini configuration file. I decided to check the values which had been set for the floppy drive configuration against those listed for a 3½-inch drive.

Inexplicably, the drive type had been set to "1" (5¼-inch), RPM to "360" (common for 5¼-inch PC drives), reader PLL mode to "1" (digital), drive letter to "A" and precompensation to "1" (on)! In each case, the default values of drive type "0" (3½-inch), RPM "300" (common for 3½-inch PC drives), reader PLL mode "0" (analogue), drive letter "0" and precompensation "0" (off) would have been correct and should have been retained. Restoring these settings to the default values cured the problem and I have subsequently imaged three AmigaDOS disks successfully with no retries!

@Chris,
To enable the digitally unsigned beta drivers to install in your WinXP setup, you need to go to the Control Panel, select Performance and Maintenance, click the System icon, open the Hardware tab, select Driver Signing and select Warn, which prompts you to choose an action each time an unsigned driver is encountered. This was the default setup on my system.

PS. Finally, I had to disable the Catweasel's various input device ports using the Windows Device Manager (Control Panel -> Performance and Maintenance -> System -> Hardware tab -> Device Manager) to prevent the New Hardware Wizard requesting drivers for them on every reboot.
Old 03 June 2011, 02:22   #10
Magno Boots
Zone Friend

I advised Chris (on Amibay) to drag the cat.sys files to his system32\drivers folder as that was the only way I could get the card to work myself on XP.

It appears to have worked for him also.

Thanks for the info Prowler; I will print your post out and pop it in the Catweasel box, should I ever decide to sell it.
Old 03 June 2011, 08:39   #11
Jope
-

Whenever I've installed the catweasel drivers, I've always just swapped the texts drive1 and drive2 in cwconfig.ini if my 5.25" and 3.5" drives weren't in the order that the ini specified. Two numbers to change around in the headings of the ini blocks and voila..

You say inexplicably, but the explanation is that it is a hard coded default. The catweasel can't detect what kind of drive is connected, as floppy drives don't supply this information.
Old 03 June 2011, 09:38   #12
Hewitson

Seems like a silly default though, how many people have 5.25" drives in their PC's?
Old 03 June 2011, 09:56   #13
Jope
-

Many people who own a catweasel use it for reading/writing C-64 disks.
Old 03 June 2011, 23:07   #14
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
You say inexplicably, but the explanation is that it is a hard coded default. The catweasel can't detect what kind of drive is connected, as floppy drives don't supply this information.
I said inexplicably because I couldn't explain it at that time. Now, thanks to your post, I have the explanation.

It seems that there is no choice other than to edit the cwconfig.ini file manually regarding the actual floppy drive(s) configuration. Once the reason for this is known, it all becomes clear.

However, as Hewitson said, 5¼-inch drives are not commonly fitted to PCs running 32bit Windows applications, so a 3½-inch drive as default would have been a better choice, notwithstanding the widespread use of Catweasel for use with C64 disks.

Despite the significant number of Catweasel related threads which have appeared here, there are still interesting facts which can be brought to light.

Last edited by prowler; 03 June 2011 at 23:14.
Old 04 June 2011, 08:04   #15
Jope
-

Heheh, yep.. I do actually agree, most Catweasels are no doubt connected to a single 3.5" mechanism. Just had one of those argue for arguements sake moments there.