English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 04 March 2016, 13:19   #1
-Acid-

Could the PSU be causing these problems?

I've got an A1200 here running an Apollo 060 clocked up to 66mhz, it has a Lyra keyboard adapter, Indivision 1, DVD drive, 1 floppy drive and a mechanical 3.5" hard disk. This all runs fine on the PSU I have in it.

I recently came into the possession of a Mediator and a Voodoo 3 graphics card for it. I installed the these and booted up without the hard drive connected. It booted to roms and in the early startup menu it sees the Mediator. I decided to plug in a CF adapter instead of the hard drive to check things over before messing with my hard drive's WB install.

On the first boot up it found the CF card and booted to the point where it restarts for load module but when it resets it wouldn't go any further as if it stopped seeing the drive.

I powered it off and checked connections but now when I boot it doesn't even recognise the drive is there (card and it's contents are fine in WinUAE). Put my real hard drive in and doesn't see that either.

The PSU did not with the Power Tower as I had to get a stronger one to power the 060. Does this sound like it's now not got enough amperage to power all the extras? I will unscrew the PSU out and get it's rating in a little while to find out what it's rating is. The last time I had a Mediator I could not get it to work and sold it, but at the time I didn't think about the power requirements so i'm hoping this is the problem.
Old 04 March 2016, 20:32   #2
Daedalus

Yeah, it could be power alright, or it could be some module loaded that's causing conflicts. See what wattage the PSU is, and also try removing the Voodoo to see if it makes a difference. Sometimes a PSU is just unstable, even if it does have enough rated power, so if you have another around to test it would help.
Old 04 March 2016, 22:56   #3
-Acid-

Okay disconnected the DVD drive, floppy drive and removed the Voodoo card. Best it can muster
is seeing the partitions if I boot from cold and go straight to the early startup menu and then I can
boot with no startup and get to a dos prompt. If I try to boot normally it goes straight to the kickstart
screen after a few seconds and the hd led stays on. If I connect the floppy drive it doesn't even see
the CF drive attached to it.

So now i've only got the main board, mediator, indi, lyra and cf attached and it still is incapable of
booting properly. Disconnecting the other bits sort of made some progress so what does anyone think
my next move should be?

Here are the stickers on the PSU

Old 05 March 2016, 16:31   #4
xArtx

It only takes a cheap meter to check the voltages while running.
Ideal to test under load, for example across some capacitors on the Amiga board while running.
Also can check DC resistance across the supply of the Amiga board with the PSU disconnected.
Old 07 March 2016, 12:27   #5
Daedalus

So is it still stalling at the Loadmodule step? Can you get it to boot with just the standard Setpatch setup? Or try removing most of the modules and re-adding them one by one until it fails. Perhaps something's clashing with the Mediator's logic. Also, check that the Mediator's jumpers are set appropriately. It's about 15 years since I installed my Mediator, but from memory there are 3 jumpers: One for memory window, which is for PCMCIA compatibility, and two which are specific to different configurations and must be set depending on the accelerator used. Perhaps you could double check that these are appropriate for your setup.
Old 07 March 2016, 21:39   #6
-Acid-

Problem eliminated it now boots from hard drive, need to get the mediator software installed etc and tested later tonight. Was a complete user error, I forgot I was loading an my A4000 workbench with the A4000 IDE scsi.device and this is my A1200 (duh!)