English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 16 November 2009, 02:57   #1
Kitty

Exclamation Replacement C64 & Amiga Casing

After reading through the thread about how to remove yellowing from old Commodore computer casing (which is an awesome read by the way) I was thinking to myself, why hasnt anyone made replacement 3rd party cases for retro consoles rather than going to all the trouble of bleaching old cases.
All the latest consoles always get 3rd party casing made by some company, this has happend since the release of the original Playstation.
How about this, Amiga and C64 casing but blue seethru, red see thru, clear seethru, you see what I'm getting at now?
Maybe a company could just make replacement Commodore casing in the original beige plastics too, another way to save the old computers from future casing death?
Do you know anyone who could make this happen?
I would gladly pay good money for brand spanking new beige casing or even clear seethru casing and maybe then personally add some nice blue leds inside to get a nice glowing Commodore 64 and Amiga

Last edited by Kitty; 16 November 2009 at 03:55.
Old 16 November 2009, 03:23   #2
Adropac2
Zone Friend

Hmm a nice idea and all perfectly possible.Suprised actually this hasn't ever come up before

A black A1200 would be my choice were the price reasonable or maybe even if it wasn't

Anybody here able to make something like this happen and failing that, i may just have to look into making this a reality myself
Old 16 November 2009, 04:37   #3
TjLaZer

From what I read about this topic before, it would cost a lot of money to make the molds, etc and it was not worth it in the end for this limited, small userbase.... Just do the Retr0brite, it's awesome
Old 16 November 2009, 09:34   #4
Kitty

I don't think that the user base on retro equipment is as small as you think now.
Retrogamer is a magazine that is published in the uk, if the userbase for retro games was small
that magazine wouldnt exist, ie not enough interest, but there is, all that has to be done is good advertising
in the right area's (like Retrogamer magazine) with a fair price.
I would pay maybe up to £50-£60 for one of these said cases, how much do you think they would take to make?
I'm sure it would be less than that.

Last edited by Kitty; 16 November 2009 at 09:43.
Old 16 November 2009, 10:13   #5
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
I don't think that the user base on retro equipment is as small as you think now.
Nevertheless it is very difficult to break even.

Quote:
I would pay maybe up to £50-£60 for one of these said cases, how much do you think they would take to make?
I'm sure it would be less than that.
The actual cost of making a single case is not that bad, but the tooling costs for the molds are prohibitive in this case. Can be tens of thousands. Thus you need to crank out a lot of these to get them down to £60.

I'm not sure how many are willing to plonk down that much though.. At least around here (Finland), people are quite thrifty regarding their old computers.