English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 12 January 2019, 02:02   #1
Honey Badger

Gotek as external disk drive?

I received a Gotek HxC virtual floppy drive gizmo today - installed it in my Amiga 600 - prepped it with appropriate firmware - loaded up thumb drive with bunch of ADFs & voila! it functions well

But, got to thinking ... could this work as an external drive? I suppose a specialized interface would be needed, but can't think of any reason why it shouldn't work.

Have any of you used a Gotek as an external drive?
Old 12 January 2019, 05:30   #2
lesta_smsc

Yes. There is a cable that allows you to connect to external port. If you search Gotek external cable on eBay there is a seller for such an item. I'm not sure if anyone on the forum is selling them as there is on Amibay.
Old 12 January 2019, 05:40   #3
demolition
Unregistered User

Yes, I have my Gotek in an external chassis and I know many others who use it the same way. I have taken a broken standard external Amiga floppy drive and replaced the faulty drive with the Gotek. Most external drives simply have standard 3½" drives inside so it is a quite simple operation.

If you intend on booting from the Gotek, notice that most games will not work when booted from DF1: as they were intended to be booted from the internal drive. It is possible to hack the Amiga to use the external drive as DF0: however in an A600 this normally requires cutting some traces on the motherboard so it should not be done unless you really know what you are doing.

Regular DOS disks like Workbench will boot fine from DF1: however so no hacking is required here. I mainly use my Gotek for booting WB and installing software so having it as an external drive is quite convenient.
Old 12 January 2019, 05:59   #4
Supamax
Da Digger :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
If you intend on booting from the Gotek, notice that most games will not work when booted from DF1: as they were intended to be booted from the internal drive. It is possible to hack the Amiga to use the external drive as DF0: however in an A600 this normally requires cutting some traces on the motherboard so it should not be done unless you really know what you are doing.
True but I remember, back in the day, having a program (or was it just a custom bootblock? Probably) which - all realised in software - made the Amiga reset & boot from DF1:.
It worked for many games, but I don't remember its name...
Old 12 January 2019, 06:05   #5
demolition
Unregistered User

No software can make it possible to boot games from DF1 if those games were hard coded to boot from DF0 and disable the system. I would say that would be the case for perhaps 90% of all games out there..

The software you talk about might have made it possible to boot system friendly disks from DF1 when using KS 1.3 which normally could not boot from DF1. KS2.0+ can boot from any floppy drive without any patches.
Old 12 January 2019, 16:01   #6
Honey Badger

Ah, very cool! Booting off the external (or not) wouldn't be a deal breaker for me. And mainly the point would be not having to mess around with getting the Gotek to fit properly(not so much having the gizmo securely positioned, that's easy enough, more like how case molding for the drive slot basically gets in the way ... and not wanting to mess with the case if not necessary).

Did find some interfaces on eBay - and seems that general approach could work for other 80s/early 90s era computers.
Old 12 January 2019, 16:41   #7
Syntrax

I am also thinking about a Gotek as an external drive. What keeps me from buying one is that you have to reset your amiga when you want to insert disks, that you previously did not select. I saw movies where you select the disks you want to emulate and when you need to change that disk set, you will have to reset the amiga.

Is there a a way to change the current disk set without needing a reset? Otherwise, is there a tool that can "mount" a ADF file as if it were DF1: or DF2:?

Cheers

Old 12 January 2019, 17:07   #8
Jope
-

I have an oled display in mine, I never make any disk sets, all disks are selected ad hoc.
Old 12 January 2019, 20:09   #9
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syntrax View Post
Is there a a way to change the current disk set without needing a reset? Otherwise, is there a tool that can "mount" a ADF file as if it were DF1: or DF2:?

Cheers
http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/ImageMount
Old 12 January 2019, 22:49   #10
lesta_smsc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jope View Post
I have an oled display in mine, I never make any disk sets, all disks are selected ad hoc.
Likewise, but you can on 'cycle' through the disks selected using the selector disk (000), so no new disks can be added until you do this?
Old 13 January 2019, 12:37   #11
Syntrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesta_smsc View Post
Likewise, but you can on 'cycle' through the disks selected using the selector disk (000), so no new disks can be added until you do this?
I am under the impression that you create a list of disks that you will use, that list is written to disk (000) and after reset, the Gotek will offer the disks that were put on that list. Consequently: if the disk you need is not on the list, you will need to reset, need te create a new list and reboot again. I can see this is the most workable way if you've got 1000's of disks and you know that you only need 5 or so.

Old 13 January 2019, 12:41   #12
lesta_smsc

Quote:
I am under the impression that you create a list of disks that you will use, that list is written to disk (000) and after reset, the Gotek will offer the disks that were put on that list. Consequently: if the disk you need is not on the list, you will need to reset, need te create a new list and reboot again. I can see this is the most workable way if you've got 1000's of disks and you know that you only need 5 or so.
Yes exactly... so unless you simply inserted all the disks you have in your collection as it lets you select 999 disk images, then you will have to select 000, reset and make the new list and then reboot with the selected disk.

Having OLED display means that you don't have to remember the numbering as is great for disk swaps! That's revolutionary and such a simple mod.

Kudos to Keir for making such a great firmware for free!
Old 13 January 2019, 14:10   #13
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:

No, you don't have to reset, especially if you are working on the Workbench with the HxC Firmware and the HxC File Selector.
With the latest update you can start file selector and return to the workbench without resetting/rebooting the machine.

Here is the latest file selector update :

https://github.com/jfdelnero/HXCFE_f...ector/releases
Old 13 January 2019, 14:14   #14
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Having OLED display means that you don't have to remember the numbering as is great for disk swaps! That's revolutionary and such a simple mod.

A ten-year-old revolution ! (Available since the first SD HxC in 2008)
Old 13 January 2019, 15:06   #15
lesta_smsc

Sorry Jeff. I must apologise as you developed this journey lol. Unfortunately, I have not yet had the privilege to use your software as I didn't have the USB to TTL and F-F could be done via USB A TO USB A cable.
Old 13 January 2019, 15:09   #16
Syntrax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_HxC2001 View Post
No, you don't have to reset, especially if you are working on the Workbench with the HxC Firmware and the HxC File Selector.
With the latest update you can start file selector and return to the workbench without resetting/rebooting the machine.

Here is the latest file selector update :

https://github.com/jfdelnero/HXCFE_f...ector/releases
Good to know! The reset part was really something that held me back!

Old 13 January 2019, 15:51   #17
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Sorry Jeff. I must apologise as you developed this journey lol. Unfortunately, I have not yet had the privilege to use your software as I didn't have the USB to TTL and F-F could be done via USB A TO USB A cable.

But the HxC too can be done with an USB cable. I can provide you an HEX file and then you can program it as you want. And a F-F Gotek can be turned to HxC without any USB or Serial cable. A simple usb stick is enough to this operation. Just ask me by email if anyone interested by these methods .
Old 13 January 2019, 17:38   #18
lesta_smsc

Awesome. I didn't know that was possible. That means I could put on HxC on my Gotek though USB on my spare drive (not currently flashed) so still has original firmware that comes supplied.
Old 17 January 2019, 02:44   #19
arananet

I made a mod long time ago. Using the sakura interface, a gotek drive and the HXC firmware.

Was working very well.

[ Show youtube player ]

Now with oled, an small box could look very cool.

Sakura device:

https://github.com/Sakura-IT/AmiExtFDD

Regards,
Edu.