English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 16 March 2009, 13:02   #41
Jope
-

Also sets codepage 437 as most ANSI graphics gets messed up with the default Finland code page of 850.

And yes, dosbox.conf has options for these nowadays, so you don't have to add them to the [autoexec] section. :-)
Old 16 March 2009, 13:17   #42
Jakodemus

Dosbox is for n00bs It doesn't give a realistic touch to the wonders of autoexec.bat and config.sys. Everything is just too easy. Aah, the days when you had to turn off mouse driver to have enough base memory.
Old 16 March 2009, 13:24   #43
Jope
-

I don't really miss them.

I actually did set up dos on a new laptop I had sometime in 2003.. Dual boot with XP! :-D

Tuned the emm386 memory block inclusions by hand and was able to load everything high after selecting the blocks and load order for each driver by hand.

After I did that I realised:
1) why do I know how to do this
2) why am I doing it in 2003

Dosbox gives you cd stunts^Mst^M without having to get your hands dirty. :-)
Old 16 March 2009, 13:47   #44
Old Fool
Zone Friend

I'm planning to build an old PC just for play old DOS games. Mainly because games like Carmageddon (1) and Realms of the Haunting. It's a shame that games that combine 1st person shooting, adventure games, roleplaying game and pure horror are so rare. Realms of the Haunting (Gramlin Graphics, 1996) was a great game to mix all these things...

I have seriously modified Carmageddon. I made lots of new cars and tracks for this game, some of them I consider more fancy than the original ones . It was damn fun to modify also those car aerodynamics and to create different kinds of cars that really felt different to drive. I just love old games!
Old 16 March 2009, 13:51   #45
Jakodemus

Of course there is no point using real dos nowadays, but it's always fun to mess around. One might argue that it's pointless to use real amiga.
Old 16 March 2009, 13:54   #46
Old Fool
Zone Friend

Oh and to add my list: NEED FOR SPEED (1). One of the finest driving games ever. Just play this game with wheel and pedals and drive top ten times. Playability is as close as driving a real car as possible.
Old 16 March 2009, 13:55   #47
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakodemus View Post
One might argue that it's pointless to use real amiga.
I beg you to reconsider and please do not compare the "pleasure" of messing with DOS's retardness and simply inserting the disk and playing an Amiga game.
Old 16 March 2009, 14:04   #48
Old Fool
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5h00n4y View Post
I beg you to reconsider and please do not compare the "pleasure" of messing with DOS's retardness and simply inserting the disk and playing an Amiga game.
Agree!

But I prefer also SM-things . That's why I still love to mess with the DOS!!
Old 16 March 2009, 14:06   #49
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Of course, I do understand the nostalgic pleasure of messing with things you were messing back-in-the-days just for the pleasure itself.
But those things are *NOT* the same imho.
Old 16 March 2009, 14:18   #50
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Well then don't forget about the 'fun' we had when the game refused to boot from disk which ran fine yesterday...
Old 16 March 2009, 14:18   #51
Jakodemus

Quote:
On personal level I prefer to play games from hard drive. It's much nicer to just type cd games\game and game.exe than listen floppy drive making strange noises.

Configuring DOS isn't really as bad as it sounds. You do it once and thats it. On boot you just decide will you have EMS, sound support, etc. I'm not saying DOS is better than AmigaOS.
Old 16 March 2009, 14:22   #52
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
On personal level I prefer to play games from hard drive. It's much nicer to just type cd games\game and game.exe than listen floppy drive making strange noises.
Of course, that's why I said this was a badly compared example.
Quote:
Configuring DOS isn't really as bad as it sounds.
Been there, tried that, don't wanna come back now when there's DOSbox... the problem with DOS is imho that - it doesn't matter if you like it or not, you still HAVE TO mess with it in most cases. And after a while there's still some new game that has problems...
Old 16 March 2009, 14:30   #53
StarEye
Zone Friend

Quote:

Configuring DOS isn't really as bad as it sounds. You do it once and thats it. On boot you just decide will you have EMS, sound support, etc. I'm not saying DOS is better than AmigaOS.
Not entirely true, considering some games were incompatible with EMS, so you had to turn it off for it to run. It's also usually one of the suggestions in the manuals. And some games needed the EMS, so you had to turn them on. If you lacked memory, you needed to use a boot disk. Dosbox lets you make different configurations, from game to game, and also install the full games to the harddrive and use disc images instead of the real discs. Just rip your game (when possible, ie not protected) into an iso, and point your dosbox to that via the configuration file.
Old 16 March 2009, 14:32   #54
Madcrow

AmigaOS was vastly better as an OS than DOS. But as a game host, DOS was actually superior, assuming you could get get over the driver issues and the dodgy memory management. DOS was basically a way of loading programs which then had total control over the hardware. Notice, for example, that the PC never really had lots of games that booted directly from floppies the way Amiga games do. That's because DOS games could "take over" the whole system much more easily than programs started from AmigaOS could.

Still, with the advent of WHDload, even that small benefit of DOS is gone
Old 16 March 2009, 14:32   #55
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCyberDruid View Post
Well then don't forget about the 'fun' we had when the game refused to boot from disk which ran fine yesterday...
Oh joy
I'll never forget when playing through a few missions in Wings, the next day it's title screen got renamed to Lamer Exterminator and refused to run!
Old 16 March 2009, 17:59   #56
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye View Post
Assuming that "this version" is the Timidity download halfway down the page, yes I did install that one. I also used the midimapper (although for some reason it never showed up in control panel, so I had to run it manually). I feel I've done pretty much everything right, 'cause it works flawlessly in ScummVM. Yet, I can't seem to get it working in Dosbox.
Install everything by right clicking and running as administrator. Also start the midi mapper as administrator.

Also try the attached program.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Vista MIDI Picker.rar (21.4 KB, 167 views)
Old 16 March 2009, 20:50   #57
StarEye
Zone Friend

But everything works perfectly in ScummVM, and I've picked the MIDI device with the other program.Also, the program you linked to now didn't find Timidity++, but the other one did.
Old 16 March 2009, 22:46   #58
ancalimon
Supernormal

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarEye View Post
Also, the program you linked to now didn't find Timidity++, but the other one did.
Yes it's random here too.
Old 17 March 2009, 18:55   #59
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancalimon View Post
Did you use http://akkordwechsel.de/15-windows-v...r-midi-mapper/
to select Timidity as default midi?
Ah, shit... just tried it, and it doesn't work on 64-bit Vista
Can't see no new MIDI icon in the control panel

what does it say here? copy to windows/syswow64 and search in 32bit control panel? well it still doesn't show
Quote:
Die integration in die Vista Systemsteuerung funktioniert (bei mir) für 64-Bit (Ultimate) wie folgt:
Datei nich in system32 sondern in den Ordner “SysWOW64″ kopieren, der Eintrag ist dann wie schon beschrieben in der Systemsteuerung vorhanden und zwar in der Gruppe “32 BIT Steuerungselemente anzeigen” in der klassischen Ansicht. Hoffe das hilft dem einem oder anderen…
@Ingo - tolles tool, erspart des registry gepfusche…
PS: this doesn't work either, only MS GS Wave synth to choose from
Old 17 March 2009, 19:06   #60
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
what does it say here? copy to windows/syswow64 and search in 32bit control panel? well it still doesn't show
Yup, but the second part says 'it shows up in the group "Show 32 Bit control elements" with the classic view'. Since I don't have Vista 64 Bit here I can't translate or point to it better, but maybe this helps
Btw : Reboot done?