English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 02 February 2013, 21:54   #1
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

Streetfighter 2 special moves

I had a stab at this game for the first time in a zillion years and can't remember how you're supposed to pull off the special moves. I seem to recall something about making d-pad arc movements, back-back forwards fire etc, but nothing seems to work. Any ideas?
Old 02 February 2013, 22:04   #2
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
http://hol.abime.net/2137/manual
Old 02 February 2013, 23:11   #3
dreamkatcha
My elbow tastes of icky

Brilliant, thanks! I hadn't thought of looking there and Google brings up nada. I was on the right track according to the instructions, just needed to get my kick and punch buttons the right way round.

I know the Amiga version isn't fondly remembered, but it's all I've ever known so what the heck, it's OK by me. I had the original game back in '91 so it was a bit of a treasured possession.
Old 02 February 2013, 23:37   #4
s2325
Zone Friend

I had copy with screenshots from magazine glued on disks. When I saw arcade version I thought the only difference were bigger sprites and more buttons.
Old 03 February 2013, 00:30   #5
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Same thing for me, the Amiga version was the first I have known.

Frankly speaking, I believe that if you don't know the arcade versions and some of the console ports, it is quite an enjoyable game.

Characters have different strengths and weaknesses compared to the arcade version, you just need to know the differences. Same thing with the music: different (and fewer) renditions but by themselves they are pretty good to listen to.

Also, I always found the 1-button quite intuitive if it is mapped correctly which is rather the case here (IK+ being the best example I think*).

So if I want to play Street Fighter II today, I would indeed probably play the arcade version, but I would probably enjoy playing the Amiga version if it was the only option.

*: edit: Barbarian too
Old 03 February 2013, 04:34   #6
fishyfish
Banned

Back in the day I quite enjoyed amiga SF2. Id played the arcade version to death (can still complete it on 1 credit with most characters, such is the extent I played it), but still enjoyed amiga version.

Forward to start of 2011, when I bought myself an a1200+'040 accelerator, my 1st amiga in a few years...... man does that game suck. How I reaped any enjoyment from it I'll never know.
Sprites wobble inconsistantly, sprite detection is bad, game speeds up and slows down, controls are cumbersome and unresponsive.

Despite the game being faster on faster hardware (not something that happens often with 2d games on the amiga), that's all that happens,..... its faster. Same jerky/wobbly movement and unrespnsive controls. Its a shame no effort was made to make it smoother/more responsive, rather than just faster.

All this said and done a friend recently bought himself an a500 and pulled out SF2 while trying some old games from the amigas heyday. I made a few comments about how bad it dated, but he loaded it up anyway. Lo and Behold it seemed okay again.
It seems the movement/timing/etc. works quite a bit better on a 7.14mhz 68000 system than anything faster. It still has many of the flaws I mentioned, but theyre nowhere near as pronounced and the game becomes okay because of it. Still a terrble conversion, but an okay-ish game in its own right.
Old 20 August 2016, 05:37   #7
Retro1234
Bo Bo

Cat or E Honda
[ Show youtube player ]