English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 18 March 2010, 15:24   #1
Bloodwych

Wow, have you seen Cammy's and Rebel's optimized palette

I must admit, for a 16 colour OCS and magicwb compatible palette, they've locked the colours in extremely well if this is the result:

http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthre...t=51924&page=3

I wouldn't mind getting my hands on that optimized palette. At the moment, I lock in colours 1-8, but the other 8 are free pens for Newicons. It looks like with a good choice of pens for those 8 remaining colours, you can create a very nice effect!

I do like those outlined fonts too. I'm thinking of creating a variety of theme packs for the ClassicWB (including standard grey and 1.3 blue/orange) and those fonts would be cool.

Sounds like they are looking to release a "ModernWB" pack. Probably based on OS35/9, as they mention glowicons. I think it's a great idea - the more choice, the better!

Looks like I may soon be out of a job. AmigaSYS take note too! I know Cammy is a very dedicated fan when it comes to her Amiga and Workbench, so she'll probably do a great job and devote a lot of time to getting it right!

Cammy or Rebel or whoever may work on this pack - good luck!
Old 18 March 2010, 15:29   #2
seuden
uber cool demi god

That is awesome looking. I'd like a OS3.1 of that for standard A1200 with 8MB of fast ram. Would it handle it? I know nothing about Amiga hardware.
Old 18 March 2010, 16:53   #3
Zetr0
Ya' like it Retr0?

Impressive!!!

and to still have 1.77MB free chip, quite awesome!
Old 18 March 2010, 17:09   #4
Cammy

Hi Bloodwych! If you'd like, we could work together on a new ClassicWB pack rather than start a whole new one from scratch, and have it optimised for low-end Amigas but with all the newest software, many of which has gone unnoticed by the larger OS3 community. I try to use my A1200 as my main computer, so I want the best, most responsive user experience. I stick to 3.1/Scalos for this as 3.9 is too slow, mainly at loading in images, and with all the eye candy I use there are plenty of bitmaps loaded. I think including internet software like SabreMSN/AmiMSN, AmiNetRadio, AmiGift, AmiTwitter, IBrowse (unregistered, but configured to look good and have plenty of compatible sites in the bookmarks), useful utilities like Meridian for mouse gestures in IBrowse and Workbench, and more Workbench games like Dynamite and HBMonopoly built in so more people will be online to play against us. We could include Workbench2000 as an optional program launcher, it's a clone of the Windows2000 task bar and start button and has many of the same features, making it easy for most people to understand and use, and it's better than any alternatives for OCS-AGA classics.

About this palette that Rebel developed, he spent years optimising it and coming up with the most commonly requested colours from the largest range of Workbench applications and games. It is OCS compatible, and is designed to avoid DBLPal/NTSC flashing, works with MagicTV, doesn't change when the mouse pointer colours are changed, and remaps well to all popular iconsets, music players, games and other Workbench stuff. I have also written a program which opens a VisualPrefs/Birdie-compatible Public Screen with the same locked palette, so if you don't want to open IBrowse or other applications on the main Workbench screen, they can be opened on the "Spare Desk" and they will use the optimised palette rather than try making up their own random palette (usually which has three blacks and two bright purples among other useless colours). This makes all the GUI images look nice since they were all designed for this palette and don't need to be remapped again.

We're also working on a 4-colour setup for 1MB+ KS2-3 systems with a new iconset that loads faster than the standard Workbench 4-colour icons, and looks a little nicer too. Since the icons use whatever the onscreen palette is, you can choose between several 4 colour palette presets to find the shade you prefer and the icons will still look fine. You can see some of these icons and colour palette presets in use in my old A600 video on YouTube. We're using ToolsDaemon as the program launcher, and are trying to add a few tiny black & white bitmap images to the font we use so the ToolsDaemon menus look a little nicer (like there's a tiny image of a joystick next to the Games menu).

Hi Seuden, my screenshot was taken on my A1200+8MB, and runs very responsively with the standard 020. It's a great pack for CD32/SX-1/SX32 owners too!
Old 18 March 2010, 17:18   #5
Kitty

The idea of classic wb 1.3 was as a theme for aga amigas, I dont think this should be ruled out completely to just low-end amigas, or did you mean a low-end amiga 1200?

Last edited by Kitty; 18 March 2010 at 23:09.
Old 18 March 2010, 17:19   #6
seuden
uber cool demi god

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
Hi Seuden, my screenshot was taken on my A1200+8MB, and runs very responsively with the standard 020. It's a great pack for CD32/SX-1/SX32 owners too!
Wow, that's awesome Cammy. Is it something you would be willing to pack together and send to me? I'd love to give it a go, pwease.
Old 18 March 2010, 17:27   #7
Frog

Really impressive 16 colors palette. I've done myself a 64 colors palette long time ago (Newicons, RomIcons, MagicWB, GlowIcons compatible) HERE

BTW for all people crying for low chipmem, you should use CyberbugFix AGA
Old 18 March 2010, 17:44   #8
Bloodwych

Hi Kitty. I don’t intend to change my plans for the ClassicWB packs and 1.3/basic grey themes.

The whole idea of the ClassicWB is to look and feel like Classic Workbenches we all remember, so you have no worries there. The themes I was thinking of will be applicable to all the packs to make them look, er Classic!

AmigaSYS and this new project, ModernWB, (I really like that name) should be a separate project under a separate name and falls into the same area as AmigaSYS which is pushing Workbench beyond its classic origins.

As for your new project Cammy, I think you should continue forward as planned. You obviously have some great ideas and a wealth of experience in actually using real Amiga’s for everyday tasks, something I just don’t have, which puts you in an excellent position to release your own Workbench pack.

Since you have such a different software suite and approach, I think the best thing to do is create your own pack using whatever you need out of the ClassicWB. If you want to modify a ClassicWB pack, feel free to do so. Or if you want to take things out of the pack, that’s fine. In return, I may find some great stuff to add to my packs out of your experienced setup.

I was thinking of doing a modern theme for my packs, but I think I’ll leave my packs with the classical look only since modern looking Workbenches are available for real Amiga’s with AmigaSYS and, hopefully, ModernWB!

I can help test the pack and make it available for public download (install procedure, adding iGame artwork etc using my existing scripts) if you want. I don’t have much time to work on my own packs these days, as you can probably guess with the yearly updates, so I would leave the main development down to you and whoever else is working on it. I would essentially be a kind of consultant.
Old 18 March 2010, 17:48   #9
Bloodwych

Frog, I remember seeing your Workbench for the first time back in 2002. My jaw dropped to the flaw.
Old 18 March 2010, 18:44   #10
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
oh er a collaboration between Bloodwych and cammy to create an updated easy to use great to look at WorkBench, now that is something to lookward too

no I`m not haveing a dig at you Bloodwych but what are you mad not to work with these talented ppl. I can understand the time and effort that you have put into classicwb and it might be hard for you to leave it for a bit to consecrate on another project but pleas consider doing it, just say for a year and if you dont like it you can always go back to your excellent wb packages

just my thoughts
Old 18 March 2010, 19:12   #11
Bloodwych

That's pretty much what I'm offering cosmicfrog.

I'm saying Cammy can use whatever she wants from the ClassicWB packs or modify a current pack to her specification and standards rather than start from scratch.

I'll offer to test, make suggestions, run scripts to make them available to the public and install iGame artwork, even add the packs to my site if she wants under whatever name she chooses. She can even call it ClassicWB ULT (ultimate) if she chooses to.

All I'm saying is I'm leaving the development of the pack in her (and her teams) very capable hands as my time is limited. I'd only get in the way anyway, plus it sounds like Cammy has her own ideas of what to do.
Old 18 March 2010, 20:50   #12
amiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy View Post
Hi Bloodwych! If you'd like, we could work together on a new ClassicWB pack rather than start a whole new one from scratch, and have it optimised for low-end Amigas but with all the newest software, many of which has gone unnoticed by the larger OS3 community. I try to use my A1200 as my main computer, so I want the best, most responsive user experience. I stick to 3.1/Scalos for this as 3.9 is too slow, mainly at loading in images, and with all the eye candy I use there are plenty of bitmaps loaded. I think including internet software like SabreMSN/AmiMSN, AmiNetRadio, AmiGift, AmiTwitter, IBrowse (unregistered, but configured to look good and have plenty of compatible sites in the bookmarks), useful utilities like Meridian for mouse gestures in IBrowse and Workbench, and more Workbench games like Dynamite and HBMonopoly built in so more people will be online to play against us. We could include Workbench2000 as an optional program launcher, it's a clone of the Windows2000 task bar and start button and has many of the same features, making it easy for most people to understand and use, and it's better than any alternatives for OCS-AGA classics.
I'd say, go for it, Cammy !
I like projects like these ones.
Old 19 March 2010, 01:58   #13
Amiga1992

Where can we get our mitts on this lovely pallete?
Old 19 March 2010, 05:08   #14
blade002
Zone Friend

Cammy = The most intelligent and creative young lady in the Amiga community and a hell of a smarter than me I used to play around with workbench ALL THE TIME trying to get great colour schemes in the 90's but could never come up with something as incredible as what Cammy has achieved with 16 colours!!

Well Done Cammy!!!
Old 19 March 2010, 05:21   #15
kriz

Very cool, looks amazing !!!
Old 19 March 2010, 06:37   #16
ami_junkie

I think a ModernWB pack would be a great idea, ClassicWB is great for creating that "classic" feel but Cammy`s Workbench is great for really sprucing up those low-end`ish Amigas. My A1200 only has 4 mb fast ram and 020/28mhz will that run the Modern/CammyWB? Also on a note of having SabreMSN installed would be fantastic, I am still having no luck getting SabreMSN installed on my Amiga, so if there is a pack with all the modern apps installed it would be really appreciated by a lot of people.

Old 19 March 2010, 07:23   #17
Cammy

Thanks for the encourangement you guys, but all the hard work was done by Rebel, I just use his palette and graphics along with these essential three utilities, which you have to download and install before you can use these themes:

http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/VisualPrefs
http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/birdie2000
http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/FullPalette22

Once you have these installed, you just need to copy the themes directory to Workbench:Prefs/Presets and add a few lines to your Startup-Sequence.

There's also some MUI gadgets and patterns but you have to register MUI if you want to use them, which is well worth it!
Old 19 March 2010, 09:46   #18
Bloodwych

Quote:
Originally Posted by ami_junkie View Post
I think a ModernWB pack would be a great idea, ClassicWB is great for creating that "classic" feel but Cammy`s Workbench is great for really sprucing up those low-end`ish Amigas.
I've always stressed the ClassicWB packs are default installs and users should think of them like Windows default themes - you use them as a foundation to build your own look and feel, as everyone has different tastes.

I can however add Visual Prefs, birdie2000 as enable disable options. Fullpalette is already in the LITE and lower packs, Scalos handles colour locking in the FULL and above.

Cammy, your experience with modern use programs though is way better than mine - I can only imagine what you can do with a pack.

And yes, I don't want Cammy to get into trouble with Rebel - A BIG THANKS TO YOU MY FRIEND TOO!!!!
Old 19 March 2010, 11:00   #19
Frog

Visual Prefs works very well with Scalos without any problems. You can easily desactivate it (just a command to add/remove in startup-sequence)
Old 19 March 2010, 12:26   #20
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
that is indeed great news Bloodwych & Cammy

so cammy when can we see a beta of your "ClassicWB ULT (ultimate)" pack ?

just with those 3 utils from aminet and the pallet for now would be great

so how do you feel about Bloodwych hosting the workbech ? have you another name in mind ?

iether way I think this is a great idea