View Poll Results: Real Amiga vs Emulation
I prefer using a Real Amiga 48 69.57%
I prefer to emulate 21 30.43%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 December 2002, 00:58   #41
Miggy2TheMax

Quote:
Originally posted by Frederic
emulation. Why? With WinUAE, you can emulate superbly, for gaming, dozens of models and types, with many variations of each. This LOGIC applies not only to Amga, but any emulated older console or computer. It's also neat, because instead of wires and stacks of games and disks, you also save space, and, it's FREE. Get of this real thing baloney, giuys. it's just games. For other things besides games i cannot comment, because I do not know.
Also, I emulate Amiga on my Apple ibook and atari St as well. Try playing "Settlers" or "Cenurion of Rome" on a plane or train with a real miggy.
Bah.
Sorry Fred, but "emulation" does not cut it for me. Its might be ok for consoles but not for amiga! With the amiga you have Whdload, jst or straight HD patches, there is no reason to emulate "dozens of models" and there is no reason to have 1000's of disks if you have most games installed on the hard disk.

Is Settlers or Centurion of Rome Joystick games? Or are they turn based strategy games? Anyhow when I play my retro games I rarely play them "on the move", I want to hear the sound thru a nice stero system and be comfy in my fav computer chair, using my fav joystick and my fav amiga!!
Old 23 December 2002, 01:17   #42
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

You have your opinion and I mine. Subjectively we can of course disagree. But objectively no one here has shown a reasonable alternative to emulation. And you know that some versions of Amiga (or many other old computers) are not compatable with older games, or certain games, or games that require this video card or that monitor, etc. Nuff said on that.
And of course if you have an Amiga 500 you are screwed to play AGA or newer games.Compared to emulation, the "real thing" malarkey is also expensive. It does have an advantage that no emulation for PPC has yet made it. And I use WHDLoad and JST almost perfectly on WinUAE. I don't see it as being an exclusive to the amigaa thing
And also rememeber that amigas and old computers everywhere are dying, being tossed out, etc. So most people are forced to emulate anyway.
Old 23 December 2002, 01:17   #43
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Quote:
Try playing "Settlers" or "Cenurion of Rome" on a plane or train with a real miggy.
I also can't do that with any emulators, so that argument doesn't quite make it for me
Old 23 December 2002, 01:19   #44
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I don't understand Mr Creosote...??
Yes you can.
Old 23 December 2002, 01:28   #45
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

I can't. That's a personal statement, referring only to me individually. I am aware others (rich bastards like you ) might be, but I'm not. You said
Quote:
Compared to emulation, the "real thing" malarkey is also expensive
and that is where I'm jumping in: you actually want to claim buying an Amiga is more expensive than buying a PC, Mac or whatever other system which might be able to emulate an Amiga? Erm... no, not quite. That argument only holds if you take the ownership of such a system 'for granted'.

I absolutely do see many points in favor of emulation, but what I'm trying to say is that as many of them there might be, they, just like the arguments for using real Amigas, are always dependant on the individual situation of the person who uses them. An 'ultimate truth' doesn't exist there. For you with your current hardware, emulation might have its pros, for me, it's hardly more than a way to make some screenshots.

Note to Akira & others: I have left out the 'eliteness' argument out on purpose
Old 23 December 2002, 09:21   #46
Pyromania

Quote:
The "Real thing" does not cut it for me, where's the logic? And FAR better joysticks are found for the PC than any miggy joystick.
Wico Amiga joysticks last forever feel just like an arcade stick and kick ass.
Old 23 December 2002, 09:25   #47
Pyromania

Quote:
You have your opinion and I mine. Subjectively we can of course disagree. But objectively no one here has shown a reasonable alternative to emulation. And you know that some versions of Amiga (or many other old computers) are not compatable with older games, or certain games, or games that require this video card or that monitor, etc. Nuff said on that.
And of course if you have an Amiga 500 you are screwed to play AGA or newer games.Compared to emulation, the "real thing" malarkey is also expensive. It does have an advantage that no emulation for PPC has yet made it. And I use WHDLoad and JST almost perfectly on WinUAE. I don't see it as being an exclusive to the amigaa thing
And also rememeber that amigas and old computers everywhere are dying, being tossed out, etc. So most people are forced to emulate anyway.
Well if you need to use the Amiga version of the Video Toaster Flyer and all the cool ad-on software and effects you are just SOL if you are just doing emulation. You will need a Video slot and Zorro slot to enjoy this very fab part of the Amiga video scene.
Old 23 December 2002, 09:40   #48
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

I'd bet the vast majority of people who emulate use it for gaming. As I said in an earlier post, I could not comment on applications because I don't use them.
So I am not interested in using WinUAE for that. You and Akira obviously need real Amigas for your jobs, of course.
Old 23 December 2002, 16:40   #49
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Another advantage of REAL Amiga usage is that you don't have to deal with a bloated OS underneath AmigaDOS.
Old 23 December 2002, 17:08   #50
Jambo
Yarr!

Location: n. A place where something is or could be located; a site.
I often find that to be a problem while using MacUAE and UAE twistin!!

Seriously though, i hate XP - it crashes like a bitch! Think ill go back to 98

As for my vote... well I haven't used my Real Amiga in ages so its going to have to be emulated!
Old 23 December 2002, 17:55   #51
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

But I was not referring exclusively to Windows as the bloated OS...
Old 23 December 2002, 23:22   #52
Jambo
Yarr!

Location: n. A place where something is or could be located; a site.
All os's are bloated when compared to AmigaDOS/Workbench
Old 24 December 2002, 04:11   #53
adolescent