English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 19 September 2004, 07:21   #1
Galaxy

Overdrive (Infacto)

I'm looking for a game named Overdrive (by Infacto - not the Team 17 one that shares the same name). It's on the CAPS wanted list and I have not seen it anywhere. Does anyone have a copy of this game that they could upload to the Zone?

This game also seems to be missing from HOL. I have uploaded a scan of the advert to the HOL ftp so that you can add an entry for it.

Last edited by Galaxy; 19 September 2004 at 10:00.
Old 19 September 2004, 23:00   #2
Amiga1992

Yes!
I do have this rare mofo!
i'l ADF it for you and upload it to the Zone, give me some hours.
I dont think this would be useful for the CAPS team though, if it is, let me know.
Old 20 September 2004, 06:55   #3
Amiga1992

It's in the Zone!

I couldn't get it to run on winUAE but I can't be arsed, post a config if it works. I think it's properly dumped but if anybody finds any sort of error in it I'll re-dunp it.

The memories! This game is a bastard I barely played, because it's a pain in the arse until it gets to the point of the actual game, and teh actual game is sub-standard.

enjoy anyway
Old 20 September 2004, 10:17   #4
Galaxy

Thanks Akira,

I'll have a look at it later.
Old 20 September 2004, 10:19   #5
fiath

Not useful unless it is an original Akira, but I guess you know that.
Old 20 September 2004, 11:04   #6
oldpx

Quote:
is this TOSEC'ed?
no

Old 20 September 2004, 13:41   #7
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Disk 4?

OK, now I have tried this too.

And I presume that there must be a disk 4 we're still missing!

Watch out for the letters appearing in the upper left corner.
b = Disk 2

Then it wants Disk 4 (d).
Wouldn't surprise me if this is the very reason why we can't get it to work.

Last edited by andreas; 20 September 2004 at 18:35.
Old 20 September 2004, 15:13   #8
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

The game disk it's asking for is a user created disk, inserting a blank disk when it asks for the game disk is what's needed, the game disk is then created. However I still can't get the game working, it just stops on a black screen, you can hear music playing but nothing happens.
Old 20 September 2004, 15:31   #9
Galaxy

[Edit: Belgarath beat me to it.]

I don't think any disks are missing.

I was able to get into the game on a real Amiga (works on A600 but not on A1200) - and I mean past the screen where you are choosing things - you eventually get to play a very mediocre SEU. Did not have much success with WinUAE though - it kept resetting.

Make sure all the disks are write protected.

When it asks for the you to insert game disk, insert a blank. It then says something about destroying data. Press fire and it will format the disk as a save? game disk.
Old 20 September 2004, 15:43   #10
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

I've managed to get it working on winuae, the game seems to get very confused over which disk is which though, the only time I've had it working is when I used disk 3 as the game disk, anyone trying to get it to work, I suggest making a copy of disk 3 and calling it disk 4. Also the game does have a tendency to reset under winuae, It seems to me to occur if you click too fast after the option screen has loaded.
Old 20 September 2004, 16:22   #11
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

New HOL entry Anymore info would be most welcome, also Galaxy can you please reupload the advert as it appears to be corrupt.
Old 20 September 2004, 18:01   #12
Amiga1992

On rich's experimental UAE the game locks up saying that "your Amiga did something terribly stupid"

I got as far as you peeps, WinUAE warned me that the game probably needed a CUSTOM ADF image to be created, perhaps this solves the problem (instead of making a standard one)? I'm gonna try.

It's a buggy motherfucker nonetheless, maybe one of the WHDLoad guys wants to fix it? (PMing Codetapper now)

Finally bringing all my old disks from my parents' paid off I'l see if I have more oddities.
Old 20 September 2004, 18:18   #13
andreas
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
Finally bringing all my old disks from my parents' paid off I'l see if I have more oddities.
Well, perhaps you can even manage to rediscover your long-lost Tetris game that way

BTW: Has anyone ever hex-edited the bootblock of the first ADF?
I think that says it all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxy
When it asks for the you to insert game disk, insert a blank. It then says something about destroying data. Press fire and it will format the disk as a save? game disk.
If it only were just as easy as this!

Again: I tried to use one drive only, in order not to confuse this - uh - special - uh - game.
I booted with disk 1, then set Windows write-protect flag on disk 2 as requested. It loaded, then it wanted 'd' (Disk 4 probably).
The actual problem for me is that there's no "insert game disk" prompt at all, i. e. I can't even get that far.

Last edited by andreas; 20 September 2004 at 18:28.
Old 20 September 2004, 18:31   #14
Amiga1992

Protect ALL GAME DISKS and try again. It only worked for me when I did this, so it boots up, you see a logo appearing, it asks for disk 3, then for disk 1 again and you get the main menu.

belgarath, the picture in the HOL looks completely naff, like if you resized it and didn't apply any resampling into it (or used nearest neighbour instead). Want me to do it with Bicubic?
Old 20 September 2004, 18:40   #15
andreas
Zone Friend

Happy

Quote:
Protect ALL GAME DISKS and try again.
HEY - that worked - thanks!
You *got* to know this, man!
Must test this on real thing if it's the same requirement.

Quote:
It only worked for me when I did this, so it boots up, you see a logo appearing, it asks for disk 3, then for disk 1 again and you get the main menu.
No asking for disk 3 here
I put disk 1 in df0: disk 2 in df1: and disk 3 in df2:

Quote:
Also the game does have a tendency to reset under winuae, It seems to me to occur if you click too fast after the option screen has loaded.
So true.
Had this too here ... after the 2nd time, it worked.

@Belgarath:
I think making a copy of disk 3 and using it as #4 is NOT needed.
I figured it out: when the game disk prompt comes, you have to have disk 1 and 2 in df0: and df1: to copy data from! I put the blank disk in df2: and voilĂ , it worked!

The most difficult thing for me was how to PLAY this thing!
You can equip your ship with weapons; and when clicking on the ship, you get "Ship taking off" but then the ship is replaced by a new one and you can equip it anew, but not play!
Took me a while until I found out you got to click into the message window once, then you get asked to click again => game starts!
Argl!

Last edited by andreas; 20 September 2004 at 18:56.
Old 20 September 2004, 19:07   #16
Amiga1992

I think I remember being told that the game wouldn't work well with more than one disk drive so maybe you should of try that way.

I think the same applies for the real thing, all my disks are write protected.
Old 20 September 2004, 19:10   #17
Amiga1992

I think the best part of the game is the commandline you have there :P You can check emails sent to you and shit, it even has a bunch of *nixish commands like LS and PS I think. Do mess with it for a while, it's funny Typing HELP brings a list of commands, I think.

When you are ready, you can type GO and then click the mouse button, your ship will part. I think you can also change the ship, I'm not sure, the game is cack so I didn't advance much.
Old 20 September 2004, 19:24   #18
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Quote:
belgarath, the picture in the HOL looks completely naff, like if you resized it and didn't apply any resampling into it (or used nearest neighbour instead). Want me to do it with Bicubic?
Akira, any naffness to the pic I attribute soley to the game being naff
The pics haven't been resized at all, they were taken at that res, all I did was convert from bmp to png
Old 20 September 2004, 19:30   #19
Amiga1992

The title screen is NOT 320x256, that's why it looks garbled. I'll resnap it and resample it, because it looks like utter shite (I KNOW the game is shite, but this is yer fault )
Old 20 September 2004, 19:33   #20
andreas
Zone Friend

Quote:
I think I remember being told that the game wouldn't work well with more than one disk drive so maybe you should of try that way.
No, no!
I never said this, it was just my first attempt.
I'm never ever going to play this game with one disk drive again, because it's a major nuisance that way!

It works like a dream with three drives, so I dunno what you're trying to suggest here.