English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 17 February 2017, 22:39   #1
E-Penguin
Banana

Workbench 1.3 classics?

Since the arrival of the ACA500plus I've finally got an Amiga 500 with a hard drive. That's one childhood fantasy ticked off. I've cobbled together a dual boot 1.3/3.1 installation and find that I end up never using the WB 1.3 part because 3.1 does everything, and does it better.

Apart from "Say", obviously. Getting the Amiga to swear will never get old.

Are there any classic pieces of software that I ought to put on the 1.3 installation, now that i have it? State-of-the-art circa 1990, sort of thing.

Octamed?
Old 17 February 2017, 22:43   #2
Daedalus

Like you say, most things will work better on 3.1, such as newer versions of Octamed. I joined the party late I guess - 1.3 was looking pretty dated when I was playing with 2.0 machines.

You can also copy Say to the 3.1 installation along with the narrator files and it'll work fine there too.
Old 17 February 2017, 22:55   #3
E-Penguin
Banana

It's not the same without the garish orange-on-blue colour scheme and chunky icons though (and I don't want that on my 3.1 installation which I actually use for stuff on a regular basis).

Does anything need 1.3? It must be good for something...
Old 18 February 2017, 02:57   #4
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

There's quite a lot of very old badly written software that is incompatible with OS2.0+ and will crash on such a system.

Apart from that, no.
Old 18 February 2017, 03:25   #5
EugeneNine

1.3 is all I've ever used. I've been digging around trying to remember what all I used back then. Most stuff I used came from the Fish disks so I've been reading through the indexes.
Old 18 February 2017, 08:52   #6
gurth

Oooh how do you get the ACA500 to boot from hard drive with 1.3? That's why I bought mine but never managed it. Always wanted a classic 1.3 system.
Old 18 February 2017, 10:13   #7
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurth View Post
Oooh how do you get the ACA500 to boot from hard drive with 1.3? That's why I bought mine but never managed it. Always wanted a classic 1.3 system.
Same as any other KS 1.3 compatible autoboot controller: 1.3 compatible filesystem must be installed in RDB. (Only choices are: 1.3 compatible FFS, not all later ones are 1.3 compatible and PF3aio).

Or boot from fat formatted cf in aux slot (Not really fully compatible due to extra memory usage, lack of Amiga protection flags and comment support and other fat limits...)
Old 18 February 2017, 12:52   #8
lolafg

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
It's not the same without the garish orange-on-blue colour scheme and chunky icons though (and I don't want that on my 3.1 installation which I actually use for stuff on a regular basis).

Does anything need 1.3? It must be good for something...
You should try classic workbench with 1.3 theme , it works with 3.1 rom and looks like 1.3 workbench....
Old 18 February 2017, 13:42   #9
deladrevoc
Not enough time

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolafg View Post
You should try classic workbench with 1.3 theme , it works with 3.1 rom and looks like 1.3 workbench....
I have this on my Minimig, definitely worth a look
Old 18 February 2017, 14:19   #10
E-Penguin
Banana

I like to keep my 3.1 installation relatively "clean" - my A600 / vampire2 will be the machine for experimentation with themes and stuff.

gurth I partitioned the CF card and created a 50MB partition for 1.3, a 250MB partition for 3.1 and the rest of the CF card for games, utilities, etc. I used pfs3-aio_custom but can't remember why I chose that over the normal pfs3-aio. I read something somewhere which made me think I needed to. Anyway, it works.

The dual-boot thing I manage by selecting the kickstart in the aca500plus boot menu, and the startup-sequence sets assigns based which ks is in use.

I take no credit for it, I followed a guide on YouTube...
[ Show youtube player ]

Back to the topic at hand, I once had quite a collection of utilities for 1.3 like WordWorth2 and PPaint (don't know which version). All purchased properly. Unfortunately my parents "tidied up" after I moved out and it's all gone

Minuous are there any lists of wb1.3-only software? I did a quick forum search but couldn't find anything likely looking.
Old 18 February 2017, 16:41   #11
scuzz

Not going to help but I find my 1.3 A500 with GVP sidecar essential for playing my demos that I have decrunched on the 4000. Thing is a lot of the demos wont play on the newer machines and or I have to reboot which is a pain. Also I can leave the demo running on the 500 whilst I search and decrunch other disks. A lot of the content from the boot process is not visible on the 4000 or 1200. The 500 handles things in a different way.

I do have 1.3 running off GVP and 590s plus external SCSIs on various machines but in truth it hardly has any real functionality that cannot be achieved much better with 3.0 or 3.1. I tend to use 3.0 for the most part. You can always use a degrader if you want the 1.3 feel anyway. Mostly a games issue to be honest.

http://www.scuzzscink.com/amiga/a_amiga_inframe.htm
Old 18 February 2017, 17:54   #12
E-Penguin
Banana

Wow, that's quite a collection you have!

I've just installed "vista" from one of the Amiga Format (33) cover disks. I can't believe I used to spend hours rendering landscapes...
Old 18 February 2017, 19:14   #13
scuzz

Best fun is getting hold of VidiAmiga and using a DvD player and using some of your own DvDs or video and saving as animations and then mucking around in DPaint and creating short video clips that you can have playing on your Amiga all the time. I use other applications, even AMOS, to mix music samples etc. TechnoSound sampler is great. When not playing with videos and making samples etc I still enjoy playing games like Arcade Snooker, SimCity and Settlers. I even run leagues in SWOS where I simply coach, I never play. I just have the games running in the background whilst I do other things. I still get a buzz when I hear that someone has scored. I trawl through old disks to find stuff. Even use ARestaure and DiskSalve to seek out hidden treasures. PD is a wonderful source and CDs come up on Ebay all the time.

An Amiga really needs a HD floppy disk drive, ZIP drive, CD and probably a Parnet to another Amiga. I have mine networked to other PCs. Sometimes I have any number of Amigas on doing stuff. There is a 2000 on at the moment that I just set up checking a monitor I found. Its never ending really. Thought I'd outgrow it after some 30 years but still switching on the Amigas every day... as I have for like an eternity.

Have fun with Vista.
Old 19 February 2017, 01:46   #14
EugeneNine

I found this
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=52283
Old 23 February 2017, 02:35   #15
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
Since the arrival of the ACA500plus I've finally got an Amiga 500 with a hard drive. That's one childhood fantasy ticked off. I've cobbled together a dual boot 1.3/3.1 installation and find that I end up never using the WB 1.3 part because 3.1 does everything, and does it better.

Apart from "Say", obviously. Getting the Amiga to swear will never get old.

Are there any classic pieces of software that I ought to put on the 1.3 installation, now that i have it? State-of-the-art circa 1990, sort of thing.

Octamed?
lol... now, why didn't I think of that.. all i thought of the AMiga. was to play games in the 90's... not to swear..