English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 28 July 2006, 23:19   #21
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas
Thanks for the kudos *blush* :P

Which original CD? The '83 Gazebo album?
Your one step ahead of me! Not quite that original - I have it on The Best of the 80s 8-CD collection (radio edit). LOL

Quote:
BTW: What does this tell you? Yes, that it doesn't matter how expensive your hardware had been, but what you can squeeze out of four tracks
There are some fantastic tunes around that definately fools me into thinking there are more than four channels because of sampled chords (see below)...

Quote:
Hint: When playing stereo, try swapping channels in WinUAE! ("Paula only")
Sounds way better, but still a bit weird; I think WinUAE doesn't yet reproduce the exact stereo feel of a 1084S, but I may be wrong...?
I use to have my Amiga connected to a stereo, with the speakers at the sides of my monitor. Never listened to sound through monitor. Now I use WinUAE and have bog standard PC stereo speakers that sound rather tinny. I burn mp3 Amiga mods to CD and listen to them through a proper stereo system much to the annoyance of my wife!.

Quote:
For "You're The Voice" they used a completely different technique: they crammed whole bars into ONE "instrument", that's why you hear far more than 4 voices ... btw same technique on Pinball Dreams: they sampled a CHORD of a sample/instrument, hence the sound is so amazingly thick
About where to find the disk - no idea, sorry.
The difference here though with creating chords with a combination of instruments is that you needed to produce a sample for each key of the scale (A to G) which eats up more memory... I've tried this myself but the song ended up sounding too "samey"! But then I'm no expert. Off course, those with the patience and know-how have produced some amazing tracks. Pinball Dreams was one of the first I recorded to cassette!

I've produced a number of modules with Sonix and Trackers, they are, to say the least, crap! One day, I'll get round to converting my disks to adf so I can make a "Crap beginner music mod Alert!" thread!

Ah, having real problems tracing You're the Voice. Thanks for looking though. No doubt someone will have it among there Sonix collection....
Old 28 July 2006, 23:26   #22
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
The difference here though with creating chords with a combination of instruments is that you needed to produce a sample for each key of the scale (A to G) which eats up more memory
But not always for sound effects. I remember the "Hallelujah!" sample from Second Samurai, which was definitely ONE sample but just played at two different pitches; you could even hear that the voices were a bit "techno-rave-ish" at the higher pitch.

Again back for a sec to my tracks: try to tweak stereo separation ! Never used this before, but 70% is definitely too wide for these tracks, as it sounds a bit unreal ... 30% + 40% gives a fairly good sound! You can optionally swap channels too. Please note when doing these tracks I had a 1084 *without* the 'S', e. g. mono! You bet I would have mixed the track vice-versa if I had had a real stereo monitor, but with mono at your hands, you have hardly any idea about stereo diffusion!

Last edited by andreas; 28 July 2006 at 23:32.
Old 29 July 2006, 00:38   #23
quahappy
Born again WinUAE user

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreas
But not always for sound effects. I remember the "Hallelujah!" sample from Second Samurai, which was definitely ONE sample but just played at two different pitches; you could even hear that the voices were a bit "techno-rave-ish" at the higher pitch.
Oh god - I remember that sample well! LOL

Quote:
Again back for a sec to my tracks: try to tweak stereo separation ! Never used this before, but 70% is definitely too wide for these tracks, as it sounds a bit unreal ... 30% + 40% gives a fairly good sound! You can optionally swap channels too. Please note when doing these tracks I had a 1084 *without* the 'S', e. g. mono! You bet I would have mixed the track vice-versa if I had had a real stereo monitor, but with mono at your hands, you have hardly any idea about stereo diffusion!
Admittedly it used to be quite annoying listening to Amiga songs on cassettes years ago in the car - the balance control had to be adjusted so I could hear the full mod instead of 2 channels on drivers side which consisted of maybe a drum/bass and string channels and the other two channels being "too quiet"! This effect can be reproduced in WinUAE by selecting Stero Mode>4 channels

I would never be surprised at the number of musicians who produced songs with a monitor with mono speaker output. Full credits to them. I tried creating a song in which the bass and drums constantly switched between two channels to give the effect of "stereo surround"(!)... only to find that when played through my dads stereo system, I had used the wrong two channels and said drums/bass still emitted from one speaker.... ooops.

I've had a go at stereo separation. The sound does tend to, er, sound better at around 40% making it sound wider (almost CD-esque). I think sound emulation in WinUAE is pretty damn impressive. I've only encountered one game (Unreal) where the music was totally out of sync.... NTSC had to be switched on instead of PAL to resolve the bad sync timing!

Last edited by quahappy; 29 July 2006 at 09:17.
Old 08 October 2019, 23:36   #24
oundfire99

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziovax View Post
Can you re-upload sonix in the zone, please?
Any chance someone can re-upload to the zone Thanks so much