English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Old Rare Games

Old 31 January 2006, 08:07   #1
Colt374

Trying to find Theatre Europe!?

Gudday all!

This is my first post on these boards, so thanks all for having me! It's nice to find such an active Amiga forum.

Anyway, I have been a fan of the old C-64 game 'Theatre Europe' for many, many years, and I used to play it religiously as a kid. Then I upgraded to the Amiga, then later to a PC, and the only way I could get my fix of 'Theatre Europe' was with a C-64 emulator. Still, that was great!

Then the other day I discovered that 'Theatre Europe' seems to also have come out for the Amiga! I was shocked! I NEVER KNEW! How could nobody tell me!?

The problem is that I can find nearly NOTHING about the Amiga version. The ONLY thing I've found so far is the reference I first found on the 'EAGER' list, here: http://eager.back2roots.org/DATA/T/THEEU.HTML. No screenshots, no info, and definately no .adf file. I desperately want to find this version so I can see what it is like. Please, does anyone know where I can find this??

Any assistance greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Colt.
Old 31 January 2006, 08:12   #2
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Welcome Colt.

It wasn't released on the Amiga!
Old 31 January 2006, 08:38   #3
Colt374

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyJarrett
Welcome Colt.

It wasn't released on the Amiga!
This is what I thought too. However that site that I have linked above is the 'Every Amiga Game Ever Released' list, and that's where I found the Theatre Europe reference. I've just been assuming it is correct.

But maybe it all comes down to the fact that the bloke has his facts wrong?

Colt.
Old 31 January 2006, 10:06   #4
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt374
This is what I thought too. However that site that I have linked above is the 'Every Amiga Game Ever Released' list, and that's where I found the Theatre Europe reference. I've just been assuming it is correct.

But maybe it all comes down to the fact that the bloke has his facts wrong?
Yes, I know the site. I believe that it's incorrect in this case.

All Amiga databases have errors. It's difficult when deciding whether certain games exist as it's hard to prove that something wasn't released. Proving the opposite is easier if you can produce a box scan or screenshot. But the Amiga was quite variable with games written in numerous countries by one person, small teams, large companies with various versions.

In this case I've never seen anything to suggest that the game was released.
Old 31 January 2006, 22:40   #5
Colt374

Quote:
Yes, I know the site. I believe that it's incorrect in this case.

All Amiga databases have errors. It's difficult when deciding whether certain games exist as it's hard to prove that something wasn't released. Proving the opposite is easier if you can produce a box scan or screenshot. But the Amiga was quite variable with games written in numerous countries by one person, small teams, large companies with various versions.

In this case I've never seen anything to suggest that the game was released.
Well, I think I have to agree with you. As you said, it doesn't look like it ever came out for Amiga. Cross that search off my list.

Thanks for your help.

Colt.
Old 01 February 2006, 02:45   #6
FromWithin
Music lord

Midnight Sun.
Old 05 February 2006, 07:52   #7
Colt374

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromWithin
Midnight Sun.
Fire-plan Warm Puppy.
Old 14 February 2006, 21:45   #8
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I saw a reference to Theatre Europe on the Retrogamer magazine forum and it appears that it was released on the Amiga! However, it is called Conflict Europe. I've compared the two versions and they appear to be the same game.
Old 14 February 2006, 23:31   #9
cebulba

Quote:
I saw a reference to Theatre Europe on the Retrogamer magazine forum and it appears that it was released on the Amiga! However, it is called Conflict Europe. I've compared the two versions and they appear to be the same game.
Sorry Cody, incorrect.

While the map and the movement on both games seems to be the same - Conflict:Europe doesn't have the ACTION FIGHTING part (where you need to shot down planes and helicopters). Also this is not a two player game which maked the FUN in Theatre Europe. I played Theatre Europe many times on my Amstrad SCHNEIDER CPC 6128.

Theatre Europe is actually one part of a series of PSS Theatre Wargamer Series...
Old 15 February 2006, 09:41   #10
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

There are differences, as with most conversions, but there are also a large number of similarities. The game mechanics, setting, opposing forces and nuclear explosion screen are the same. Plus the C64 programmer (Alan Steel) is listed as a designer on the Amiga version.

If it's not a direct conversion then Conflict Europe is at least heavily based on Theatre Europe (or the Theatre series).
Old 15 February 2006, 15:06   #11
cebulba

Quote:
If it's not a direct conversion then Conflict Europe is at least heavily based on Theatre Europe (or the Theatre series).
ok - copy that
Old 16 February 2006, 01:09   #12
Colt374

Ohhh Woo HOO!!

Thank you all! I can finally see what the game would have been like on the Amiga! Cheers!

Oh Cebulba... frankly I'm kinda glad the action sequences aren't in there. Never played them anyway.

Colt.