Old 09 May 2005, 12:37   #21
HOL2001
Amigamaniac

As I said before:

Don't hesitate, just emulate.
Old 09 May 2005, 22:21   #22
Amigamancer
Zone Friend

I have voted "bad for the Amiga scene" because this is what i believe.
Old 10 May 2005, 00:16   #23
Stig

The amiga sound pack for WinUAE plus on-screen leds do set the mood!.
Old 10 May 2005, 00:29   #24
wanderer
I want an A1000

Can anyone recall any cases of, hmmm, "superior" emulation? A lesser machine, trying to emulate a better one? Seem to remember an Amiga emulator for C-64, or even Amstrad CPC 6128 , or am I wrong?
Surely there must have been for some systems some sort of semi-working emulators of this type?
Old 10 May 2005, 01:18   #25
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
There were Atari ST kits that emulated a Mac
Old 10 May 2005, 01:29   #26
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Quote:
Can anyone recall any cases of, hmmm, "superior" emulation? A lesser machine, trying to emulate a better one?
Well, my Amiga 500 emulates MacOS 7.5.5 pretty nicely. It runs at nearly full speed in monochrome. Although it is an accelerated A500 with some newer parts, I still think it's pretty amazing for an '80s Amiga to be running a 1996 MacOS.
Old 12 May 2005, 01:45   #27
_ThEcRoW
Amiga NetRunner

Very important for the amiga scene.
I choose this altough i own and use my two classics(1200 & 500), winuae is a excellent path to running 68k code actually, when most parts for these computers are very hard to find or repair. Also, i think, that in the case of amiga it even beats the real thing in case of performance (040 at speeds over the ghz). So this is my point of view.
See ya!
Old 12 May 2005, 02:36   #28
oldpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer
A lesser machine, trying to emulate a better one?
...like a PC trying to emulate an Amiga

Old 12 May 2005, 19:45   #29
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

Well there was the Atari ST emulator for the amiga, and I guess if you count mhz for mhz, the ST could be classed as "superior" to the amiga in that one respect.
Old 14 May 2005, 19:26   #30
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakyweakywoo
I dont think I was totaly sure which it was when I made the poll to be honest, but looking at the questions I'd say I meant in genral, but was hoping people would post there opinions about thier attitudes towards amiga/amiga emulation. Just to get a full picture.
I don't think emulation of any platform/console will be better or as good as the real thing, although it gets pretty damn close to the real thing in some instances (e.g. C64 emulation is almost state of the art). I suppose it's a little bit like listening to CD versions of old music that was originally released on vinyl. It just lacks that certain something.

As for Amiga emulation, I think it's pretty important, even though I don't emulate and probably won't until all my Amigas die. By then I imagine that Amiga emulation will be as good as C64 emulation is at present (if not better!).
Old 16 May 2005, 00:24   #31
HOL2001
Amigamaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxscroll
...like a PC trying to emulate an Amiga
That's it ! ;-) ...
... and Toni make it possible...
Old 15 June 2005, 18:26   #32
Charlie
. . Mouse . .

'Had to say 'all hail emulation'
Why?
I've never owned a 'real' Amiga. I had various Acorn computers if any of you have heard of them, & pretty d**n good they are too.
Then I came across UAE followed by AIAB. Hmmm. AmigaOS pretty good! 'Wish I'd payed more attention when it was 'worth' buying hardware.

( Please don't flame me for the last comment. I do understand that many people get alot out of their investment, & there's nothing wrong with being a retro freak. )

So a few years later & quite alot of Amiga-specific software bought, I'm very pleased with my 'Amigas' ( WinUAE, AmigaForever, Amithlon ) running on various x86 boxes along with a fair selection of other OS's inc RiscOS under emulation.
It's by far the most pleasent enviroment I use. It allows me huge room for customization. It's got lots of useful apps+games, and is the only OS I know of whose workings are fairly transparent to the user while remaining very powerful.
Also with my OS architecture hat on it's still a beautifully elegant & efficient pice of work. I can't for the life of me understand why its fundamentals haven't been ripped off by 'modern' OS' vendors rather than the largely brain-dead crud about @ present that only functions by brute force. ( Windows, Linux, MacOS to name a few )

Ranting aside, I would never have sampled all this deliciousness without emulation.
So...
All Hail Emulation!!

Last edited by Charlie; 15 June 2005 at 21:01.
Old 15 June 2005, 19:12   #33
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer
Can anyone recall any cases of, hmmm, "superior" emulation? A lesser machine, trying to emulate a better one?

A machine is only as good as its software in most cases and unfortunately pc's are blessed with Windows

If windows was as powerful (in comparative terms considering progress and development) as Workbench then PC's would be fantastic machines!
Old 15 June 2005, 20:19   #34
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym
A machine is only as good as its software in most cases and unfortunately pc's are blessed with Windows

If windows was as powerful (in comparative terms considering progress and development) as Workbench then PC's would be fantastic machines!
Windows is an OS, just like workbench. The user can get what he/she needs done with the tools at hand and a little creativity.
Old 15 June 2005, 20:31   #35
BippyM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown_K
Windows is an OS, just like workbench. The user can get what he/she needs done with the tools at hand and a little creativity.
I was referring to the power to size/requirements ratio!

Workbench had a huge underlying power with little requirements and it wasn't bloated shit.

Windows is Huuuge in comparison and is over bloated with a lot of shit and the requirements are not justified!!

If windows was a streamlined and powerful (considering the advances in technology) then it'd be beautiful to use!!
Old 15 June 2005, 21:01   #36
Dr. Dude

its the future.
Hardware that emulates hardware, its briljant, never again a game won't run due of to low or to high system. Or a graphics card that hapen not to run on ur game. A flexible and compatible system, turn ur pc to amiga or playstation

It will be the PE....personal emulator
Old 15 June 2005, 23:33   #37
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dude
its the future.
Hardware that emulates hardware, its briljant, never again a game won't run due of to low or to high system. Or a graphics card that hapen not to run on ur game. A flexible and compatible system, turn ur pc to amiga or playstation

It will be the PE....personal emulator
This is theoretically possible today, with FPGAs (it's sort of the whole concept behind the C=1 by Jeri Ellsworth). Of course, it's a lot of work, because someone has to implement the hardware on the FPGA before it can be emulated. I could see an Amiga-on-a-card using this, for example - use a suitably large FPGA to replace each chip that can vary between Amigas (for example, CPU, Agnus+Denise and their AGA counterparts, etc), and have one FPGA config for each part that you wish to emulate ('000, '020, '030 (with optional MMU, of course), '040, '060, Normal/Fat/Fatter Agnus, Normal/Super Denise, etc). Of course, you'd have a breakout box holding all the Amiga ports, and you'd basically be able to pick which pieces of hardware you want to emulate, program the FPGAs with those configs, and then start the system up.