English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. System

Old 01 February 2019, 10:02   #1
kolla
Banned

Workbench Copper (WBCopperECSOCS)

Topic here is a variant of a "copper daemon" written in asm...

http://aminet.net/package/util/wb/WBCopperECSOCS

I have for long used a modified version of this to make a nice rainbow copper list to make a nice "Amiga Ticker" backdrop on Workbench on the Minimig. In addition to the rainbow copper list, it also does a copper effect on the screen title bar, which looks nice. Some time ago I wanted to have a visible indicator that says whether my Minimig is online or offline, so I modified WBCopper and made variants with red, orange and green "hue" on the screen title bar, so that when system is online, it is green, if it goes offline it is red, and if connection is establishing, it is orange. It looks really cool, and I was happy. Except, I noticed that considerable chunks of RAM vanished for every time WBCopper was run.

So, I am curious if anyone with ASM and Amiga skills could look at it, and see if there is anything that can be done to avoid the loss of RAM. I suspect that the issue is that the previous runs keep running in the background...
Old 02 February 2019, 18:27   #2
Photon

This is done with the OS, so I moved the thread. I hope you can get some help/explanations here why it eats memory on each run, or if there's a better package out there.

All I can see is that it allocated the memory for the coppershades it adds, and that's probably a good thing since they have to be there until reboot.