Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 25 February 2015, 04:32   #81
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

I doubt that.
Old 25 February 2015, 06:19   #82
ptyerman

@Olaf
What I said was not meant as derogatory towards Aros, in fact I'm thinking of putting together a Aros box instead of just a VM. But as already said Aros is Aros not AmigaOS.
Old 25 February 2015, 10:11   #83
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
"Amiga - Taking 'flogging a dead horse' to a whole new level since 1994"™

I smile at the perseverance of the Amiga community

All the bickering around the Amiga makes a fond memory turn into a nightmare
Old 25 February 2015, 10:27   #84
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican3 View Post
Perhaps they will do a cheaper version later for home computers ??
Those are servers CPUs which costs in the thousands.

No way that a "cheap" version will come - the PowerPC market is so small that only huge margins might make it profitable.

PowerPC is a dead horse and IBM is flogging it as otherwise they wouldn't be able to raise a finger against Intel's monopoly.

Even if one of these CPUs makes its way in the X10000, X60000 or whatever, that would just make them repeat the same error of making it horribly expensive, out of reach for most users and devs (which in turn will make the ecosystem stagnate and slow/kill sales altogether).

Actually, while we're on that, are there any numbers of how many X1000s were sold?
Old 25 February 2015, 10:54   #85
Paul_s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
Actually, while we're on that, are there any numbers of how many X1000s were sold?
Whilst not as rare as the Golden Fleece I reckon you're talking a three digit number...
Old 25 February 2015, 12:33   #86
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_s View Post
All the bickering around the Amiga makes a fond memory turn into a nightmare
I couldn't agree more.
Old 25 February 2015, 18:22   #87
wawa

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthey View Post
I would try to get Alain Thellier as the lead programmer even if it meant loaning him hardware. He is the only Amiga guy who knows 3D as well as the Frieden brothers, he is a good programmer and he is a team player.
seems alain is bit short on time and motivation, even if he is certainly a valuable coworker. there are still some others with the experience in the field. karlos from aorg coded improved w3d replacement drivers, deadwood did aros mesa port, mazze did port wazp to aros and provided a mesa backend afaik. but to get some common goal outlined here might prove difficult.
Old 25 February 2015, 23:10   #88
amigakit.com

@matthey @wawa

Thanks guys, I think it would be great to see some progress on Warp3D for Classic- its long overdue.
Old 26 February 2015, 10:48   #89
Cowcat

@matthey
Didn't know I was Amiga Developer. Or a developer Kind words.

The only thing that bothers me of all this mess is the legal aspect of "tinkering" software & share with others in an attempt to improve something old (like w3d libs). Sure, an official fixed-enhanced libs in 2015 could be awesome for all different hardware configurations, instead of "what happens if I reverse engineer this and move that code out".
Old 26 February 2015, 22:57   #90
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa View Post
seems alain is bit short on time and motivation, even if he is certainly a valuable coworker. there are still some others with the experience in the field. karlos from aorg coded improved w3d replacement drivers, deadwood did aros mesa port, mazze did port wazp to aros and provided a mesa backend afaik. but to get some common goal outlined here might prove difficult.
I hope Karlos helps with at least the Permedia 2 driver but then I thought he was already part of the W3D dev team. He might be busy as he hasn't been posting much on Amiga.org lately. Someone may pass him up in post count in a few years at this rate .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowcat View Post
Didn't know I was Amiga Developer. Or a developer Kind words.
Yea, you play with code for the Amiga and then one day you wake up and find that you are an Amiga developer .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowcat View Post
The only thing that bothers me of all this mess is the legal aspect of "tinkering" software & share with others in an attempt to improve something old (like w3d libs). Sure, an official fixed-enhanced libs in 2015 could be awesome for all different hardware configurations, instead of "what happens if I reverse engineer this and move that code out".
I hope they will be more open with it so it gets developed as it's not exactly state of the art any more. It will be for legacy compatibility as new software moves to Gallium. Not only is Warp3D old tech but it really should be part of the AmigaOS so I hope they aren't too proud of it.
Old 16 March 2015, 12:52   #91
Puni/Void

According to Dehandschutter, Hyperion have opposed the decision and he expects the court to have a decision ready at the end of the month:

http://oldschoolgameblog.com/2015/03...-of-the-month/
Old 16 March 2015, 20:59   #92
kolla
Banned

Typical amigaland misplaced focus - 3D? What ever for?
Old 17 March 2015, 19:58   #93
matthey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
Typical amigaland misplaced focus - 3D? What ever for?
Actually, hardware 3D makes more sense on the 68k where CPU performance is limited. A game like Quake may be 15fps on a fast 68060 but with hardware 3D could be a more playable 25fps. Granted, it would be more benefit and easier to back port lower level parts of AmigaOS 4 first but most of that is in ROM where it is not as easy to update. Even starting in the middle with the new graphics.library with integrated P96 and intuition.library for boopsi, Reaction and datatypes would require replacing graphics.library and intuition.library which are in ROM. Amiga 68k users with MAPROM and most FPGA hardware could take advantage but others would lose tens if not hundreds of kB of memory unless there was a new ROM. Where would you propose to "focus", assuming A-Eon gained the rights to AmigaOS 4 and decided to back port parts?
Old 18 March 2015, 16:47   #94
kolla
Banned

Yeah, but explain to me why in this time and age I would want to play this old game Quake on an Amiga when I can play it in higher resolution and higher speed on my phone, or just about any other device I own.

I would focus on getting an up to date networking architecture already!

And I would focus on "how can we build a modern platfom, yet retain the user experience of Amiga".

Last edited by TCD; 18 March 2015 at 16:59. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 20 March 2015, 14:27   #95
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Maybe we should stop talking about other OSes
Old 20 March 2015, 20:10   #96
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
Maybe we should stop talking about other OSes
Indeed. OT thread can be found here: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=77527

Any further OT stuff will be moved there.
Old 20 March 2015, 23:01   #97
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Actually this thread is about Hyperion being declared bankrupt. I guess I'll move all the security related posts to yet another thread tomorrow...
Old 21 March 2015, 08:12   #98
ptyerman

Thanks TCD, this thread has gone off topic lately. There's not much to add at the moment, until we learn the outcome of the case everything is still up in the air.
Old 21 March 2015, 09:19   #99
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

Indeed.

In the meantime security related things can be discussed in this thread: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=77531
Old 03 April 2015, 21:02   #100
ref

http://kbopub.economie.fgov.be/kbopu...&actionLu=Zoek

Everything back to normal. Decision has been overruled.

(source: facebook discussion)

Last edited by ref; 03 April 2015 at 21:28.