English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 17 February 2018, 09:30   #101
Higgy

Nice work there!
I got the audio circuit finished last night.

With Minmig configs. Is there a way of adding text rather than just a number?

Ideally I want saved something like:
OCS A500 1mb upgrade
ECS A500 1mb upgrade
Top spec with 68020, loads memory and kick3.1 - WHDLoad

Update - DONT use an AMIGA mouse connected to the Game Ports.

Last edited by Higgy; 24 February 2018 at 08:58. Reason: Flea's like mice, but not when they are covered with 5v flea spray!
Old 17 February 2018, 20:06   #102
Amiga1992

Can you explain to me how to make/use Minimig configs? I don't understand how and can't find any info/docs.

Please do so in my thread here: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=90850
Old 21 February 2018, 20:05   #103
Caldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by basman74 View Post
I've temporarily taken down my tweaked Next186 build with the added integrated audio due to some stability issues. I will re-upload that again soon.

Regarding your other issues: I have attempted to address them over at the related google group.

As for Minimig, see how you go with it. If it works for others I suspect it may work for you too

- Valentin
Yes, thank you. I got it all to work with your help in the Google Group
Old 21 February 2018, 20:08   #104
Caldor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
OK got my keyboard adapter really fast! Wasn't expecting it to arrive for another 2 or 3 weeks or more (it's Chinese New Year).
It's this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/401253927600
Worked perfectly with my Mitsumi AT keyboard (via AT to PS/2 adapter)!!
But you might have to wait, seller is on vacation because of the New Year. I got really lucky.

Now I need to build the DB-9 ports so I can actually play something, but my tests so far have left me very impressed!

[edit] remember how I said my screen had tearing on 50Hz scrolling? Apparently, that only applies to analog signals. The Minimig core on the Flea is displaying super silky smooth 50Hz screen scrolling on HDMI!!! this is absolutely great, it looks fantastic!

The screen mode is 754x574 50P, weird indeed.
I am also using an AT keyboard with a PS/2 adapter atm. Two PS/2 keyboards died when I tried making my own PS/2 adapter... and it still failed, so I will probably not try that again. I tried ordering a PS/2 compatible keyboard, but it was still a USB keyboard but with a PS/2 adapter... was not compatible enough though.

So now I have ordered some PS/2 keyboards just to be sure it will work.
Old 21 February 2018, 20:45   #105
Amiga1992

My AT keyboard works just great with the adapter I linked above.

As for screens, I landed onto the biggest problem, too. Yeah my Flea runs great on my TV, but that's not the monitor I intended to use it with. The one I wanted to use it with is not compatible with this signal. I used an HDMI to VGA adapter thingy.

I guess I should go hunt for a monitor that would work, but let me ask that: would any of those analog RGB hats available for Raspberry Pi work on the Flea? Because it would be absolutely great to be able to output proper analog RGB video.
Old 24 February 2018, 00:49   #106
basman74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
Update - you can use an AMIGA mouse connected to Game Port #1
Just a heads-up here: According to the related user manual, FleaFPGA Ohm's GPIO header pins are not +5V tolerant! That means you'll need to either try running your Amiga mouse off the GPIO header's +3.3V supply rail instead or forget about it altogether (that is, unless you're happy to build a circuit that converts the outgoing 5V logic signals from the mouse to 3.3V levels...).

Last edited by basman74; 24 February 2018 at 02:26.
Old 24 February 2018, 08:56   #107
Higgy

Thanks for the information. You can tell electronics is not my forte!

For a quick lesson, is it like this:

Mouse needs 5v to operate as it has an onboard circuit. But because it is receiving 5v the output signals for the mouse position 'contain' 5v, which goes back into the Flea?
I know the joystick is a simple 'make to ground' switch.

So the 5v on the GPIO can be used as long as the powered device has a low current draw and does not feed back into the Flea?

I only tested it for a short time, so hopefully my Flea has recovered from a dose of 5v flea spray!
Old 24 February 2018, 10:59   #108
basman74

Quote:
Mouse needs 5v to operate as it has an onboard circuit. But because it is receiving 5v the output signals for the mouse position 'contain' 5v, which goes back into the Flea?
I know the joystick is a simple 'make to ground' switch.
That is correct, basically.

Quote:
So the 5v on the GPIO can be used as long as the powered device has a low current draw and does not feed back into the Flea?
Also correct. Normally on a custom hat that somehow also needed the +5V supply rail, it would (should) also have additional circuitry to convert any 5V logic signals down to 3.3V so the GPIO logic pins on FleaFPGA Ohm will be happy.

OK, so it might be possible that your Amiga mouse may not work on 3.3V without some form of modification (forget that). So your only option when using Amiga mouse would be to add several copies of the following circuit as shown here: https://tinyurl.com/ybagt74a (Substitute 1K Ohm for the 10K shown in your case). You would need to replicate this circuit for every logic output pin coming from the Amiga mouse to FleaFPGA Ohm's GPIO header.

In the above-mentioned circuit, the zener diode acts as a clamp to an incoming voltage signal greater than 3.3V, thus keeping the flea happy.
Old 24 February 2018, 11:28   #109
kolla
Banned

I suppose someone should make a "hat" for use with Amiga peripherals
Old 24 February 2018, 18:24   #110
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
I suppose someone should make a "hat" for use with Amiga peripherals
That would be absolutely awesome.
Old 25 February 2018, 22:35   #111
solidcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldor View Post
I am also using an AT keyboard with a PS/2 adapter atm. Two PS/2 keyboards died when I tried making my own PS/2 adapter... and it still failed, so I will probably not try that again. I tried ordering a PS/2 compatible keyboard, but it was still a USB keyboard but with a PS/2 adapter... was not compatible enough though.

So now I have ordered some PS/2 keyboards just to be sure it will work.
my cherry g80-3000 USB keyboard works on my a1200 (kipper2k ps/2 keyboard adapter kit) with purple ps2 to usb connector. and cd32 aux usb.
also the cherry mx keys are same as amiga 2000 cherry mx.
Old 03 March 2018, 11:05   #112
calicant

Has anyone succeeded in serial connecting to Linux?
However everytime I type a letter on the flea keyboard (not to SER *something* arrives to /dev/ttyUSB0

Thanks, Luca

Old 04 March 2018, 22:55   #113
kolla
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calicant View Post
Has anyone succeeded in serial connecting to Linux?
However everytime I type a letter on the flea keyboard (not to SER *something* arrives to /dev/ttyUSB0
Hm, serial connection how? With Minimig? To a linux box USB port?
For that you would need to use the dedicated GPIO pins, a max3232 chip, plus usb-rs232 for the PC. I guess you now have the fleafpga connected directly via usb, and what you see is debug info from the fpga itself, and not from the Amiga

Here, one of these could help you, gives the Minimig a regular 9 pin serial port... https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1pcs...722395554.html

Last edited by kolla; 04 March 2018 at 23:01.
Old 05 March 2018, 22:42   #114
utri007
mä vaan

I'm a late, but is it still possible to get one?
Old 05 March 2018, 22:46   #115
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by utri007 View Post
I'm a late, but is it still possible to get one?
Not at the moment, unless someone who got one on the Kickstarter wants to offload one. Which is a possibility! I don't want to part with mine yet though, but maybe someone else does.
Old 05 March 2018, 23:48   #116
robinsonb5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolla View Post
I guess you now have the fleafpga connected directly via usb, and what you see is debug info from the fpga itself, and not from the Amiga
The Flea's Minimig core includes two CPUs - one for the Amiga replica, and the other to run the menus and disk emulation. The second CPU has its own UART, and it's debug info from this second CPU that the core is currently routing over USB. It should be very easy to rebuild the core with the two sets of serial connections swapped so the Amiga's serial output goes over the USB instead.
Old 11 March 2018, 10:33   #117
calicant

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinsonb5 View Post
The Flea's Minimig core includes two CPUs - one for the Amiga replica, and the other to run the menus and disk emulation. The second CPU has its own UART, and it's debug info from this second CPU that the core is currently routing over USB. It should be very easy to rebuild the core with the two sets of serial connections swapped so the Amiga's serial output goes over the USB instead.
That's good to hear. I suspected something similar.

Old 11 March 2018, 16:51   #118
Higgy

If anyone fancies practicing rebuilding the Core, an updated Audio Engine has recently been released for MiniMig:

http://www.minimig.net/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=633

I am also hoping someone updates the MiST Core with it.
Old 11 March 2018, 19:17   #119
robinsonb5

Quote:
I am also hoping someone updates the MiST Core with it.
Remind me if no-one else does in the next few days and I'll see what I can do.
Old 16 July 2018, 17:45   #120
amigamia

Hi all, I have had one of these Flea Ohm FPGA from the Indiegogo campaign for a while and never had a chance to try it out. I finally got all the required adapters and I am very impressed by the size and what it can do. I have posted a small video to show it in action:

[ Show youtube player ]

Now, I would like to see a Commodore 64 core ported to it