English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 10 March 2013, 01:51   #1
daro2096

Step by Step guide for installing WHDLoad and games for complete newbies?

I unpacked everything in Winrar on my PC and then transferred it all to Amiga by CD. I think I installed WHDLoad but then I try to install a game i get errors like "filestring is too long" or something like that.

I downloaded all the files from whdload.de site.

Really pulling my hair out here. Why can't it be as simple as installing a game on my PC? Think Windows has made me soft.

Why is there no simple install guide on whdload.de You think they would provide a how to guide on that site.
Old 10 March 2013, 01:59   #2
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

http://kg.whdownload.com/kgwhd & http://whdownload.com

Extract them on your Amiga, not on your PC.
Old 10 March 2013, 03:39   #3
daro2096

I tried extracting them on my amiga 1200 but was getting nowhere with it.
Old 10 March 2013, 08:20   #4
mailman
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by daro2096 View Post
I unpacked everything in Winrar on my PC and then transferred it all to Amiga by CD. I think I installed WHDLoad but then I try to install a game i get errors like "filestring is too long" or something like that.
You need to update Installer tool to the latest version (check on Aminet).

Quote:
Really pulling my hair out here. Why can't it be as simple as installing a game on my PC? Think Windows has made me soft.
It is but one condition has to be met - all the system files have to be up to date.

Quote:
Why is there no simple install guide on whdload.de You think they would provide a how to guide on that site.
What for?

1. You installed WHDLoad in your system - good.
2. You downloaded install files for a game of your choice from whdload.de - good.
3. You unpacked downloaded archive - good.
4. Click on the icon "Install" and proceed according to the messages on the screen.
5. Run the game

It is as simple as that. In your case you can't pass point four because your system has outdated files.
Old 10 March 2013, 08:26   #5
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

I don't think he knows that he still needs the original floppies in order to install the games if using the archive from WHDLoad.de. The easier option would be to download the preinstalled games. Without any further information what the problem about extracting them on the Amiga side was it's a bit hard to help more.
Old 10 March 2013, 09:07   #6
roy bates

along with a up to date installer,its on the 3.1 install disk just put it in c/(that if its a 1200)

you also need the kickstart roms for the 1200(3.1) and 500(1.3) to run most games.
Old 11 March 2013, 19:37   #7
daro2096

I am using Kickstart 3.1 and Workbench 3.1. The installer is installed in the C: drawer already.

So I got to buy the originals have I? Might as well not bother.
Old 11 March 2013, 19:45   #8
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

The first links I posted are the pre-installed games. You need those. Then you need no originals.
Old 11 March 2013, 20:15   #9
john1979

If whdload is in your c: directory and you can start a shell, type whdload and you get some output then thats good.

Just go to whdownload.com, get the game you want, unpack it into a folder on your Amiga harddrive, double click the game icon and away you go.

No originals necessary at any stage. Before I discovered whdownload I thought whdload was a bit of joke
Old 11 March 2013, 21:59   #10
Kitty

Just install your chosen version of Classic Workbench with the latest WinUAE and extract the preinstalled WHDLoad games (within an Amiga environment via Dopus which is included in the Classic Workbench installation) from the WHDownload link/s that TCD mentioned in the above earlier post.
All you need is a bit of patience and perseverance and you will be playing all the games in no time.

Note: You will need Workbench 3.1 disk set and Kickstart roms which you can find easily here and here.
I can't send you them, the mods will shave my head and beat me with a stick.
After you have got used to using WHDLoad, I would highly recommend you Register WHDLoad, which opens up full compatibility of 'all' WHDLoad games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1979
Before I discovered whdownload I thought whdload was a bit of joke
We all been there at one point, at the time I was lucky enough to get some quality help from TCD, check my old threads and you will see how much I went through before using Classic Workbench. I can't recommend it enough, Bloodwych is a star

You too can have an awesome setup like this

Last edited by Kitty; 11 March 2013 at 22:31.