English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 26 November 2007, 04:00   #1
fisken uno
Commodore's biatch

Unhappy Need help with an Amiga 2000

Hi guys. It's been a while since I wrote anything here but I may need your expertise and assistance right now.

A few days ago I received an Amiga 2000 that I bought off of Tradera (swedish ebay). I actually paid quite a sum for this machine and expected it to work. As soon as I got it home I discovered a small dent in one corner of the case but didn't think more of it.

Ok, hooked it up to my TV and powered it on. The screen flashed three times and then the screen went white. Nothing else happened. It does have a hard drive so I was surprised it didn't boot from it. Then I noticed that the light on the df0 drive was lit so I thought "aha, I must boot from floppy then". I inserted the Workbench disk and rebooted the machine. It loaded Workbench (v2.05 fyi) just fine but when I clicked the HD icon the machine gurued on me. I rebooted and clicked left+right mousebuttons to enter the boot menu. Selected the HD and it booted fine from HD but crashed before completing the startup-sequence. Tried booting from floppy again and this time I could enter the HD and even look through what was on it. I launched a game (floppy based, Space Quest III fyi) but it crashed when asking for disk 2.

Now, the odd thing is that df0 and hd0 worked randomly to say the least. Sometimes it would boot from floppy, sometimes the light would go on but it wouldn't READ the disk. The same with the HD: Sometimes it would boot and sometimes it wouldn't (but it always crashed before finished loading the startup-seq). When it didn't boot the screen would flash three times and then go white and now and again the screen would go yellow.

I opened up the case and had a look inside. Checked that all connections were properly attached etc and that chips seemed ok. I haven't really been toying around inside Amiga computers before so I really don't know what else to do and didn't want to mess anything up more than it already is.

Started it up again and now the floppy drives seem completely dead (not even the lights go on). The HD won't boot either. It's the same as before... Three flashes then either a white or a yellow screen. I even got a purple screen today. I have NO idea what's wrong except that it definitely seems to be related to the drives. However, I find it odd that I haven't ONCE seen the kickstart screen... Instead, the screen goes white...

I should also add that at one point I got the boot screen up and ONLY the HD was listed! Neither df0 nor df1 were present. The next time I got it up they were. But NOW I can't even get the boot screen up. It's just dead on the white or yellow screen, though rebooting it does work (no need to cut the power and turn it back on again that is).

The seller claims that it worked when he tested it before sending it over and that he could play games without problems. So I would suspect that something rather bad happened when it was delivered.

Do you have any ideas? What should I try doing?

Another question... IF I get it to work...

1) Could I put a bigger SCSI harddrive in it? How big? This one is 50 MB I think.

2) Is it possible to attach an SCSI CD-Rom? There is a 5.25 floppy drive bay which I think would be a good place for it.

But... getting the damn piece of junk to work is of highest priority right now of course. ANY help would be appreciated. And keep in mind that I don't know a whole lot about Amiga hardware, ok? Perhaps I'm better off just selling it as a non-working machine but then I will most definitely not even get half the sum I paid for it...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	97530_1195953906.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	15313   Click image for larger version

Name:	11915_1195953893.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	15314  

Last edited by fisken uno; 26 November 2007 at 04:32.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 26 November 2007, 08:20   #2
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Make sure the battery didnt leak all over the motherboard.

A bigger hard drive and CD-rom are definately possible with the right file system and CDFS.

My immediate advise is to remove the scsi card and see if the machine works reliably.
Old 26 November 2007, 11:21   #3
zipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisken uno View Post
Hi guys. It's been a while since I wrote anything here but I may need your expertise and assistance right now.
I opened up the case and had a look inside. Checked that all connections were properly attached etc and that chips seemed ok. I haven't really been toying around inside Amiga computers before so I really don't know what else to do and didn't want to mess anything up more than it already is.
Press every socketed chip firmly down - they tend to crawl up. There may also be oxidation on the chip legs, IDC leads/connectors and extra card connectors/slots.

Last edited by zipper; 26 November 2007 at 11:42.
Old 26 November 2007, 12:08   #4
fisken uno
Commodore's biatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
Make sure the battery didnt leak all over the motherboard.
Well, the battery has apparently leaked but not all over the motherboard. Not enough to cause these problems imo. However, if I do get it to work again I should really replace it with a new one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson View Post
My immediate advise is to remove the scsi card and see if the machine works reliably.
Sounds like a good idea. But even if there's something wrong with the SCSI card... Could it really explain that the floppy drives (or well df0) malfunction?

I remember that at some point when booting from HD it did say that it couldn't find df0... So the first thing I wanted to do was to switch the floppy drives in case the df0 was broken. However, it turned out my screwdriver was too big to fit in to loosen the screws for the floppies. I would've had to take the whole metal bridge holding them and the PSU off in order to switch them. I may still do that later though because half of the motherboard is covered under this metal bridge which means I can't check the chips under it very well.
Old 29 November 2007, 01:14   #5
fisken uno
Commodore's biatch

Wow, this is only getting better and better. Switched the two internal floppy drives (df0 and df1) to see if it made any difference (I thought perhaps the df0 one was broken and the drives should be identical so it should work) and now I don't even get the gray/white flickering. I get a yellow screen straight away

I get the feeling something really bad has happened here...

I shall try removing the SCSI card tomorrow, to see if it works better. Somehow I get the feeling that it ain't gonna work either. I mean, considering that it won't even start the selftests but just goes to this bloody yellow screen.

EDIT: WTF, I just got it to boot from HD! But the floppy was listed as ?????. And after a while the screen went yellow and when I rebooted it refused to boot... again. Seems it IS indeed related to the floppies... Hmm. At least, I believe it is. Is it possible to start an Amiga without floppy drives (if I disconnect them just to check, will it boot from HD)?

Last edited by fisken uno; 29 November 2007 at 02:29.
Old 29 November 2007, 09:45   #6
Fingerlickin_B
Amiga Nut

Quote:
Is it possible to start an Amiga without floppy drives (if I disconnect them just to check, will it boot from HD)?
I've tried that with both a 600 & a 1200.

It works fine, but takes a few more seconds to start booting and once loaded into workbench DF0 icon is displayed and named ????...since it's not there I suppose.

I get a yellow screen when a RAM board comes loose if that's of any help.

PZ.
Old 29 November 2007, 10:26   #7
musashi5150
move.w #$4489,$dff07e

Yeah, I had an A500 with a shitty 512K card and that used to show yellow on bootup. Worked perfect when the card was removed. So maybe have a look around for some dodgy looking joints...
Old 30 November 2007, 07:16   #8
Computolio

Lose the battery and clean off the CPU's pins. Also, pull out all cards and the second floppy, and boot off of a floppy and see if the problem persists.
Old 22 December 2007, 01:41   #9
fisken uno
Commodore's biatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Computolio View Post
Lose the battery and clean off the CPU's pins. Also, pull out all cards and the second floppy, and boot off of a floppy and see if the problem persists.
Wow, you might actually be onto something there haha! Take a look at the attatched picture. Battery removed but the leak doesn't look very nice. Not very surprising the machine hardly works the way the 68000 looks! Do you think cleaning will help?

Also, as I am a total n00b: What's the best way to get the 68000 out of it's socket so that I can clean the legs well? I tried pulling with my fingers but couldn't loosen it. Yet I don't want to risk destroying any components...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP2397a.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	15579  
Old 22 December 2007, 02:03   #10
TjLaZer

There is no way you will be able to remove this by hand! You can use a screw driver to pry the chip slowly from the socket. Do one side at a time until it creeps up. You will eventially get it loose enough to pull straight up.

I would use some Isopropyl alchohol and a old toothbrush to clean all the corrosion. Let it dry well and fire her up! Should work good. The 2000 is the most forgiving machine to this kind of corrosion! Not so good on the 3000/4000's I am afraid....
Old 22 December 2007, 02:05   #11
fisken uno
Commodore's biatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post
There is no way you will be able to remove this by hand! You can use a screw driver to pry the chip slowly from the socket. Do one side at a time until it creeps up. You will eventially get it loose enough to pull straight up.

I would use some Isopropyl alchohol and a old toothbrush to clean all the corrosion. Let it dry well and fire her up! Should work good. The 2000 is the most forgiving machine to this kind of corrosion! Not so good on the 3000/4000's I am afraid....
Ok, thanks!
Old 22 December 2007, 02:10   #12
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Hope you get it sorted mate, good to have you back.
Old 22 December 2007, 02:15   #13
fisken uno
Commodore's biatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by killergorilla View Post
Hope you get it sorted mate, good to have you back.
Well, this year I've bought 4 Amigas (a CD32, an A500, this one and just a week ago an A600) so I'm probably going to be hanging around when I encounter problems.
Old 22 December 2007, 09:16   #14
a_petri

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjLaZer View Post

If you have exceptionally bad luck, the goo from the battery may have attacked the spring contacts of the 68000 socket as well.

It happened to me (I bought my A2000 literally by finding it in a dark corner of the previous owner's attic, where it lay forgotten for several years) and I had similar problems - intermittent crashes, sometimes various screen colors instead of proper booting -, even after dumping the leaky battery and cleaning up thoroughly.

The problems disappeared temporarily when I pushed down the 68000 firmly into its socket, but reappeared after 1-2 weeks. Finally I had to replace the whole IC socket (it was a bitch of a job) but my Amiga 2000 works like a charm since the operation.
Old 22 December 2007, 13:50   #15
fisken uno
Commodore's biatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by a_petri View Post
If you have exceptionally bad luck, the goo from the battery may have attacked the spring contacts of the 68000 socket as well.

It happened to me (I bought my A2000 literally by finding it in a dark corner of the previous owner's attic, where it lay forgotten for several years) and I had similar problems - intermittent crashes, sometimes various screen colors instead of proper booting -, even after dumping the leaky battery and cleaning up thoroughly.

The problems disappeared temporarily when I pushed down the 68000 firmly into its socket, but reappeared after 1-2 weeks. Finally I had to replace the whole IC socket (it was a bitch of a job) but my Amiga 2000 works like a charm since the operation.
Hmm thanks for the heads up. Will probably not bother doing anything with it over christmas but will try to get it sorted asap after the holidays. I will definitely not bother replacing the whole socket though so if cleaning doesn't do the job I'll just sell it to someone who's up to it. It is after all a pretty nice machine with 8 MB RAM expansion, dual internal floppy drives, SCSI card and all.
Old 22 December 2007, 15:01   #16
a_petri

Quote:
Hmm thanks for the heads up. Will probably not bother doing anything with it over christmas but will try to get it sorted asap after the holidays. I will definitely not bother replacing the whole socket though so if cleaning doesn't do the job I'll just sell it to someone who's up to it. It is after all a pretty nice machine with 8 MB RAM expansion, dual internal floppy drives, SCSI card and all.
Dear fisken uno,

sorry - I didn't want to discourage you.

I just saw the bluish goop at the pins of the 68000 socket and suddenly remembered my astonishment when I had realized why the repeated firm pushing of the 68000 CPU didn't work... But you *must* be luckier than me.

(The springy metal contacts of the socket itself can be cleaned with a toothpick or a similarly thin and delicate object.)
AdSense AdSense