English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 05 January 2010, 23:51   #641
pubzombie

Watched FaceOff last night. never seen it before. made in 1997 Travolta and Cage looked loads younger and about 30pounds lighter but i really enjoyed the total sillynes.
a 3d zombie flick would be cool.
looking forward to Left4Dead2 on my 3d monitor - if i ever get it built, sat looking at the parts now
Old 06 January 2010, 12:25   #642
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

So you have a 3D monitor huh? Gee thanks for telling us, I certainly didn't know it yet!

/sarcasm

Face/Off is certainly a cool movie, but 30 minutes too long. The end drags on and on and on and on...
Old 06 January 2010, 19:32   #643
pubzombie

yes i have a 3d monitor yay bring me the 3d on a silver plater

looking forward to Mcarthy's The Road next week - read book it was totaly awesome, very dark and unfortunatly not in 3d

Last edited by pubzombie; 06 January 2010 at 19:38. Reason: add
Old 07 January 2010, 10:38   #644
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubzombie View Post
yes i have a 3d monitor yay bring me the 3d on a silver plater

looking forward to Mcarthy's The Road next week - read book it was totaly awesome, very dark and unfortunatly not in 3d
Is it a virus? You want books to be in 3D now!?
Old 08 January 2010, 06:48   #645
Dizzy
Pirate

Just saw "Paranormal Activity" well it a nice little movie, not that scary, but ok fun. The ending isn't the best, could be a little more gory, but much better than most HollyWood movies ending
Old 08 January 2010, 11:43   #646
pubzombie

really wanted to see Paranormal Activity but the misses wouldn't come in to the cinema to see it. she freaks at scary movies, she screamed out loud and jumped six inches out her seat at Zombiland. the three rows next to us were wetting themselves at her. my sides hurt the next day - she hides behind a pillow @ Most Haunted
I have to bribe her with huge ice creams to watch zombie films
Old 08 January 2010, 20:07   #647
Dizzy
Pirate

grab it on dvd..it works fine on a tv screen
Old 11 January 2010, 12:39   #648
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Watched Star Trek (2009) yesterday. I put it off until now because I am one of those Star Trek freaks, and thus I was a little sceptical about this one.

Needless to say, I was pretty much blown away. Star Trek is as much a reboot of a franchise as was the new Battlestar Galactica series, only this time the franchise was dying a painful death, making it extra hard. Fast paced story (a little too fast paced, you could argue), excellent and especially convincing acting, good humor, it was quite the joy to watch actually!

What satisfied me most is that it contains familiar characters, but with fresh new actors that really play their role well. The character is familiar with the old one, but still with a fresh touch and without the stiffness or even the overacting, that often plagued the older shows/movies. The actors were really well chosen, that I can say. Especially Zachary Quinto (best known as the uber-villain "Silar" from the show "Heroes") is near perfect in the role of Spock.

The one gripe I have with the movie is that they just had to incorporate time travel in the story. Why? WHY!? It always makes stories too complex and full of holes, so why be that stupid? There is going to be a second movie, so I hope that time the story will be a little more clever. But as it is now, it certainly isn't bad because it is highly entertaining, IMO.

To sum it all up: great fucking movie!
Old 13 January 2010, 02:11   #649
Smiley
Amiga-less!

I saw Precious and The Road recently. Precious was a better film I think, some of the acting was really great. Precious is a really nice independant film, nicely shot and has its share of tragedy and comedy.

Maybe I had too much anticipation for The Road (What male doesn't like post-apocalyptic narratives?) but it just didn't do it for me. Not a bad film but not all its cracked up to be.
Old 13 January 2010, 04:04   #650
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
I fall asleep watching (attempting to) Final Fantasy - Advent Children (extended) in HD. I guess I'll have to watch a longplay of the game if I want to get into it.
Old 13 January 2010, 10:52   #651
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleauvive View Post
I fall asleep watching (attempting to) Final Fantasy - Advent Children (extended) in HD. I guess I'll have to watch a longplay of the game if I want to get into it.
I would suggest you see the making off if you cannot get into it (I didn't get it the first time I saw the movie); it explains a little how the Japanese envision it, which might help you to appreciate it more on a second viewing. Us western folk are simply too blind to see the subtle emotions that are in there, but they are an important part of the story that is being told.

Also, don't only rely on your eyes and ears to experience the movie, the Japanese are unlike Hollywood; they do not blatantly explain what is going on, they expect you to think about it. Usually your own feelings are part of the movie experience.

But yes, knowing the story of the game is pretty much required to understand the movie; the story is very messy even when you break through the abstractness. Since the game is so huge, I would think it unlikely that you could sit through a longplay though
Old 22 January 2010, 16:58   #652
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I sawThe Invasion.

Yet another Bodysnatchers remake, and this one is just as useless as the one in the 90s. The one with Donald Sutherland (already a remake I believe) was scary and thrilling. This one? There isn't a single moment in the movie where you feel any kind of dread. No suspense. Just some disgust, because the new way of "invasion" is for existing bodysnatchers to vomit goo onto those that have not changed yet...

Why? WHY did somebody waste money on this?
Old 01 February 2010, 12:04   #653
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I bit the bullet and a saw Gamer.

Strangely, the movie amused me. I don't know why, because it is yet again just another excuse to glorify violence and sex as the main plotline, this time with terrible, TERRIBLE acting. What little real plot there is, is carefully skimped over to show more blood and guts during nauseating shaky cam scenes.

Perhaps it is because the sex part is a gigantic spoof on Second Life and the violence part is fast and frantically edited that it amused me slightly. All I can say is: Gerard Butler can really move like he is a game character. That is the best I can tell about the truly horrific acting in this moving picture.
Old 02 February 2010, 10:38   #654
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I forgot to mention that I finally saw 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Now I generally like Kubrick, and I must admit that this movie is fucking beautiful for its time. But I am not going to be a movie hippie and call it "art"; this movie is fucking boring as hell. I respect movies that don't try to tell a story but in stead leave it up to your imagination, but this is just pushing it. I'd rather sit through Lynch's Eraserhead again...

No I think I'll watch Solaris again, a similar movie but slightly more accessible.
Old 02 February 2010, 10:53   #655
s2325
Zone Friend

Never watch this movies: Ghost Rider, Mammoth, Van Helsing
Old 02 February 2010, 11:38   #656
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

I thought Ghost Rider was mediocre, but not overly bad. I also agree that 2001 A Space Odyssey is incredibly boring. But then again, I think Kubrick is a vastly overrated director.
Old 02 February 2010, 20:40   #657
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Van Helsing is fun, Ghost Rider is terrible though. All the bad guys drop dead when they see him for christ's sake.
Old 02 February 2010, 23:55   #658
Retro1234
Boo

I watched VALKYRIE -Thought it was Ok
Old 17 February 2010, 20:20   #659
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Couple of additions:

Crank 2. This movie is effed up severe. It is funny in most ways, but don't watch this when:

a) you are epileptic (or are sensitive to flashing or jumpy videos because of other reasons)
b) you have a high blood pressure
c) you expect a movie to have a story to tell

Without a doubt I can say this movie contains the most weird characters and the most offensive scenes that you might expect from a Hollywood production. If you think I am overreacting, SPOILER: one character gets a shotgun in his asshole right at the start of the movie, and they really do show it from behind. It sets the tone of the rest of the movie quite nicely

What you get is fast-paced editing on steroids, lots of loud music, lots of running, lots of profanity, of course it contains an "in public" sex scene like the first one did, lots of blood and guts, the works. Insane. And the story? Well the main character's heart gets stolen and replaced with an electronic one, which he has to power up every now and then with electricity while he chases down the guy who had his heart implanted. Fun fun fun.

Dorian Gray

What a movie! I've read the book and this is a very nice adaptation. Even though the movie improves on certain aspects of the story, it is still close enough to the original to be a nice tribute; the director must be a big fan of the book. Beautiful scenery, nice acting and just all around a good movie to watch. Never boring, it does have quite a grim tone to it. The actor playing Dorian can really portray the evolution from good guy to evil prick very nicely.

G.I. Joe

Before you bash this movie, give it a chance. Yes it is yet another Hollywood action movie with splash CGI effects, yes it is another weak adaption of something holy from our past, but the movie is FUN! It really is! It has all the right humor, it looks gorgeous and it is just a blast to see. It far outwits any other basic action movie released recently, I can tell you that. The thing that stood out is that this movie puts a good perspective on action: in stead of drawn out fighting scenes that go on forever in the "I punch you, then you punch me" variety, this movie just gives you a lot of high speed chases that get your adrenaline going. Also the characters really get a nice and rich, interesting background, which is very refreshing.
Old 05 March 2010, 12:07   #660
cosmicfrog
The 1 who ribbits

Send a message via MSN to cosmicfrog
Warched Surrogates yesterday with bruce willis in
if you ever wondered what a world with VR crossed with Robots is like then this might give you an idea, by and large I enjoyed it, but suffers form usual plot line perdictions, still worth a watch