English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 23 September 2009, 16:52   #601
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

DVD shopping spree last weekend. Managed to pickup some real gems for 7 euros and less (even one for 99 cents...); the cannonball run for 3 euros! Funny as hell. Red Sonja for 3 euros!

The one I watched first is Jumanji (4 euros). Technically impressive at the time, it is starting to show its age. But it is still quite funny and well presented, I especially like the quirky cartoonesque facial expressions
Old 23 September 2009, 17:07   #602
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Red Sonja for 3 euros!
hope it's not the crappy dutch version I once bought cheap
Old 23 September 2009, 22:18   #603
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

probably yes, although there is no such thing as a "Dutch version" But it could be a Dutch Filmworks disc, which are the lowest quality pieces of cr@p DVDs you can find. They don't even give english subs :s Half of the time you cannot even turn off the Dutch subs :s
Old 23 September 2009, 22:27   #604
Dizzy
Pirate

hehehe yes reminds me back in the vhs days when buying sleazer movies I had to go for the dutch ones, as the ones from uk was cut. Having fixed subtitles in a language you dont understand is I couldn't watch the movie without trying to read the sub
Old 28 September 2009, 10:51   #605
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Saw Dragonslayer. Didn't see this one for a long time and it really impressed me how good the movie is made; the magic bits really speak to the imagination, the story is good and has plenty of funny moments and for a movie of 1981, it still looks fantastic!

Worth to see it if you haven't yet, it rates high up among the classic fantasy movies IMO.
Old 07 October 2009, 20:28   #606
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

finally got around to seeing Shoot Em Up, as recommended to me by dear Anubis right before he departed

This has to be the most wacky movie I have seen in a long time. It far outwacks any Transporter or Crank movie. This movie is just one barrage of insane shooting scenes, adrenaline, jokes, corny one liners, flashy scenes and just plain old good fun. Really, this movie amazed me. The story is very thin but it just doesn't matter, it is the characters that really make this movie and boy do they deliver!

This one gets an 8! It is of course nowhere near Shindler's List in brilliance, but it is just a damned fine action movie! Go see it if you haven't yet!
Old 11 October 2009, 22:27   #607
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Saw Drag Me To Hell, a Sam Raimi movie (of Evil Dead / Spiderman fame).

I must say, he has redeemed himself after the terrible Spiderman 3. This is a classic horror movie, this time with big budget written all over it. The movie is creepy, gives you a heart attack and is so fucking disgusting, its delicious.

A great fucking horror flick, nothing more, nothing less. Do not watch if you are a kitty lover though, you might not survive the movie.
Old 12 October 2009, 01:11   #608
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Second that. Drag me to hell is really old school horror. Looks and feels like a 90s movie, with tons of handmade FX.

Much better than all the other modern crap stuff like "The Ring" or "The Grudge". Sam is back to the roots.
Old 19 October 2009, 14:33   #609
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

had the pleasure of seeing Hitman. I'm a big fan of the games, especially Hitman: Blood Money. Of course I just had to see the movie, assuming that it would be a piece of crap.

The movie starts and you hear Ave Maria, like in Hitman: Blood Money. Icy chills down my spine.

After that the chills quickly go away, as the movie is as expected just another action movie with a familiar character, that is not even correctly modeled after the game. Agent 47 doesn't have morals, but in the movie he does, a little. Agent 47 wouldn't go on a killing spree, in the movie he is the bald equivalent of Rambo. Agent 47 wouldn't be phased by a woman. In the movie he is.

But it doesn't matter as the movie is still well executed. I was especially impressed by the nice scenery, the lighting has been specifically well done for one. The movie is chock full of slow motion scenes that are quite beautiful to see. A visual spectacle, that is the least I can say about this movie. The audio is also well done as the music really does match with the games it is based on, although it is stuck in permanent 'danger mode'.

My final verdict will be that it is a well executed action flick with a thin story, like usual. Amusing and very much worth a download/rental/7 euro buy.
Old 19 October 2009, 21:19   #610
Dizzy
Pirate

Just grabbed Hercules the Avenger I love those old italian action/muscle man movies
Old 26 October 2009, 02:02   #611
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

m'kay, Friday night, cinema night. This time I finally got to see Inglorious Basterds. Please don't think less of me after reading this highly personal opinion.

Because I was trying so hard. I really wanted to. I went to this movie with my mind wide open. But I failed! What, pray tell? Why, to enjoy this movie! To find any kind of enjoyment in it. Some form of amusement. But there was none, not even a brief hint of a smile on my face. Just a brooding sense of disgust in the pit of my stomach.

The first impression is usually the lasting one, and the first impression was initially good. Very tense opening scene of Once Upon a Time in the West proportions (also note the matching music heard throughout the movie). But after that initial scene, the movie goes into a downward spiral of dire movie making. You see, Quentin Tarantino has lost it. Right now I am pondering if he really ever had it. Most directors develop over time, but he is still stuck in that very first moment where he got noticed and thought "wow, I make money this way! Let me do it over and over and over and over and over again!"

The second impression of this movie? It is Kill Bill Vol 3, only scratch out Bill and put in Hitler. Again chapters (this time in order, how clever!), some of the tunes of Kill Bill 1 are blatantly reused in this movie and even some of the actors are recycled. The big difference is that Kill Bill was parodied violence, Inglorious Basterds is glorified violence. It is so classical Tarantino, you can predict every scene. How dialogs will turn out, when which camera trick will be used.

It is a sad affair. Even the story line is bogus; nothing spectacular, just three individual story lines that ultimately converge in an uninteresting way. It has been done before, and a lot better at that. I say it is a sad affair, because the movie has so much going for it. The dialog scenes, and there are plenty of them, are deep, long and interesting. You get them in four languages this time, German and French dominating 75% of the movie. The characters are quite interesting and unique, and at times funny. It is just too bad you get no way of ever liking them or even identifying with them, giving you no opportunity to immerse into the movie.

To recoup: two strong elements that are totally misplaced in the aforementioned glorified violence (inherited from the utterly forgettable Death Proof no doubt, violence without a story is cool man!) and the now boring and chewed out rehashing of the same Tarentino tricks we have now seen a billion times.

I'll leave this story with a bit of a spoiler: the scene where the Germans are watching a movie that consists of nothing but one Nazi German killing a gigantic horde of allies, while the audience is laughing and cheering with every kill; at that point take yourself out of the movie and reflect upon yourself. Doesn't that scene give you deja vu? Is Tarentino taking a piss on you, comparing you to the Nazis while you watch his glorified violence, pointing and laughing at every scene where a Nazi dies violently?

I think not, I really don't believe he is so clever anymore.
Old 12 November 2009, 22:29   #612
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
Saw House of the Devil (this year). It's not a good movie (but it isn't entirely bad either). It's slow (very slow), and the satanic elements feel a bit forced into the classic (not in a good sense) plot. It's low budget and unfortunately, it shows.
I am easily scared so I could watch it till the end, but horror buffs will certainly be better off avoiding it, although it claims to have that 80's touch.
At times, you may wonder if the Director is not obsessed with Jocelin D. tight bottom, because the shots are extensive on her pair of jeans, rearside view.
Good moments ? When she throws the money at the fake Pizza delivery man and slams the door at him. The ending is simply awful (girl in shock manages to run outside the house while killing three of the four weirdos, and then... points the gun at herself... WTF ? )
Old 16 November 2009, 17:26   #613
NewDeli
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to NewDeli
Saw Creep (2004), thanks to an imdb user recommendation. Much better horror movie. Action takes place in the English subway. A bit less scary than House of the Devil, since the heroine from this movie is less vulnerable than Jocelin D. character (can German hotties run fast without their high heels ), but a lot more coherent plot.
Old 22 November 2009, 02:24   #614
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

^I've never thought of Tarantino as a director with any real skill or talent, to be honest. Any film maker can do what he does.

Saw "This Is It" last night, and found it a poignant and memorable film, without being overly sentimental or melodramatic. RIP MJ.
Old 22 November 2009, 17:36   #615
DH
Global Moderator

Watched 2012 last night, if you like over inflated disaster movies, where the impossible is possible, then this is the film for you. The reality of survival is 0% but somehow our main family outways all the odds and survives major death again and again in an unbelievable bid to cheat their fate that looms around almost every corner. Is that really plausible, I say "no way".

Special effects are awesome, but for me, there's not enough blood and gore.
Old 23 November 2009, 15:19   #616
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Bloodsport is one of my favourite films!

After watching it when I was a kid, I'd start karate chopping random pieces of furniture in the house! When that began to hurt too much, I'd express my inner martial artist in a game of Full Contact on the Amiga!

Now those were the days.
Old 23 November 2009, 15:27   #617
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

These spambots are really annoying. It seems some words or phrases trigger them to post.
Old 24 November 2009, 21:01   #618
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

we are not all spambots you know. Although words and phrases do trigger me to post...
Old 24 November 2009, 22:23   #619
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
we are not all spambots you know. Although words and phrases do trigger me to post...
Maybe. But the deleted spambot before Muzzies reply was a big 80s movies fan.
Old 25 November 2009, 00:45   #620
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Maybe. But the deleted spambot before Muzzies reply was a big 80s movies fan.
As am I. Best horror movies were made in those times!