English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 May 2003, 11:18   #1
AmiGer

Sid Meier will do a new version of Pirates!

look here:

http://www.gamezone.com/news/05_16_03_04_15PM.htm
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/...w_6028012.html
Old 23 May 2003, 12:24   #2
Mr Softy

Send a message via ICQ to Mr Softy Send a message via MSN to Mr Softy
Arrow

I sincerely hope it will be 2D... but I don't think so.

[edit : "spectacular 3D graphics and enhanced surround sound" They will never stop, will they? shhhh. ]
Old 23 May 2003, 13:05   #3
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
Loved that game on my C64, wish I still owned the original copy.
Old 23 May 2003, 15:54   #4
KombatSanta
Pipboy approved

Send a message via ICQ to KombatSanta
actually I think this is one of the few games that would benefit from a remake in 3D. The sea voyages and battles could have a much more greater depth, both in the form of graphics and in the form of devolpment to the original game idea.
Old 23 May 2003, 18:41   #5
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

When I first heard about this a few weeks ago, my reaction was something along the lines of "oh shit, another classic disgraced by a crappy new version". My feelings about it haven't changed since then.
Old 23 May 2003, 19:00   #6
Unknown_K

Cant be worse then the 3d version of centipede I seen for the PC
Old 24 May 2003, 14:18   #7
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

So much negativity!
C'mon people, 3D doesnt ALWAYS=Badness. Maybe it will work well.
Old 24 May 2003, 14:57   #8
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally posted by Dastardly
So much negativity!
C'mon people, 3D doesnt ALWAYS=Badness. Maybe it will work well.
I think its just a sign of the times Darstardly-a lot of us gaming veterens are sick of exclusively seeing 3D games,esp. 3D shooters.

As for Pirates being reincarnated I'm in the minority having never played it on C64 or the Amiga, was it really THAT good a game?
Old 24 May 2003, 20:17   #9
Mr Creosote
Evil Mastermind

Dastardly: 3D isn't the root of all evil, but it is of course bad when it's not needed. Even if this new version of Pirates! wasn't in 3D, I'm pretty sure I'd think it's crap though.

Quote:
was it really THAT good a game?
It was one of the best games I ever played and it still is.
Old 25 May 2003, 01:01   #10
AmiGer

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Creosote

It was one of the best games I ever played and it still is.
Yes !
7-Zark-7, take a look at pirates and have fun...
Pirates is not a game of one category. It's RPG, action, adventure... everything...
Old 25 May 2003, 02:51   #11
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Pirates was a great game for so many reasons. 3D can only serve to draw attention away from those things. It's a game that doesn't need to be cloaked in the latest technology, and that will only serve to mask what made the game great in the first place.

Imagine a classic Stones album...say "Sticky Fingers", and Warner decides to re-issue it with digital mastering, new echo/reverb, heavier compression and limiting like the modern alt/rock bands use...it would be a complete disaster.

I don't think producers are looking into what games would be best served by 3D technology, but whether a game had a big enough fanbase to come back for the new version. And what could be more uninspired than that?
Old 25 May 2003, 03:39   #12
Unknown_K

I dont mind people trying to redo pirates in 3d, just dont call it pirates. Whats going to happen is that classic games are going to be remade in shitty new 3d games and it will kill that name off for good.

Command and Conquer for the PC used to be top notch, now they slap that name on any crappy RTS by that company and it doesnt sell anymore.
Old 25 May 2003, 08:49   #13
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

I find it ironic how as a collective group, retro/veteran gamers (who look back fondly on old 8bit/16bit gaming), are treated with scorn by the modern PC gaming press, (& powerhouse PC kiddies), who then say how much "depth" & sophistication there is in today's games compared to then & produce their "All time top 100 gaming lists" with their FPS games featuring prominently-
Yet what are we constantly seeing? My my a remake from (what in their view), was a dispised,over-rated era of gaming!!

Not all updates are a bad thing. Say Jedi Knight 2,for example, a few years had passed from PC Dosboxes to P3/4, Athlon Win 32 based machines. And hopefully updates to something like Stunt Car Racer,(especially in the hands of the original author), should work too.

I would just love to see a return to the days when we had the choice of 2D/3D & variety like graphic adventures, horizontal/vertical shooters, RPG's, RTS,arcade adventure,platform, racing or whatever genre's you liked. Much less when not every game had to have a soap-opera drama "interactive storyline".

Could you imagine what they'd do to stuff like R-type,or Ghost'n' Goblins today with all this needless depth? Some of the best old time arcade games could have their so-called storyline written on a postage stamp!! They were just fun & instant to play.

Last edited by 7-Zark-7; 25 May 2003 at 14:40.
Old 25 May 2003, 12:01   #14
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

When I first came to the EAB I was quite shocked at much at lot of yooz hated anything 3D. I was quite happy to play the latest FPS but things have changed for me. I started to realise that a FPS I was playing at the time was in fact no different to the one Id played a couple of years ago. I am starting to agree with you guys more and more, not because I want to, but because a lot of what you say is true. Modern gaming is in a terrible state and while I dont think its ALL bad, 90% is absolute tosh.

Maybe its just me being the eternal optimist but when I hear about a 3D remake I dont automatically think itll be crap. IMO there are loads of modern classics that work brilliantly in 3D, the latest of which Im currently playing and loving every secong of it (Zelda/The Wind Waker). Some games DO crossover well into 3D so I always keep my fingers crossed when I hear about another update. Maybe it would be better being updated in modern 2D gfx but the way I see it is, if its crap, what have you lost? You can always ignore it and go play the superior original.
Old 25 May 2003, 14:54   #15
Unknown_K

Most of each years games are junk no matter if they are 2d, 3d or whatever, has always been this way.

Quake 1, Tribes, and Unreal Tournament have added alot to the FPS genre and I liked them alot when they were new. Halflife was also cool because of the story and gameplay. But the rest are mostly me-too kind of games.

A game being 2d or 3d doesnt matter as long as the game itself is fun.

I think alot of the old adventure games would look nicer and attract a new generation if they were in lifelike 3d with their original story intact.

I would fucking kill for the xwing/tie fighter star wars games to be remade with the newest 3d engine and surround sound.

Porting the old 2d arcade games to 3d mostly kills them, but imagine playing jungle hunt in 3d (swinging from vines would be so cool in 3d).

Flight sims were always meant to be in glorious 3d.
Old 25 May 2003, 16:48   #16
haynor666
retro maniac

Mostly 3D version are better but for example Lemmings 3D - what do you think ?

I don't like it.
Old 25 May 2003, 18:24   #17
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Quote:
Originally posted by haynor
Mostly 3D version are better but for example Lemmings 3D - what do you think ?

I don't like it.
Id run for it mate, before everyone else sees this

*points at Haynor* It wasnt me this time!
Old 26 May 2003, 00:58   #18
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by Unknown_K
A game being 2d or 3d doesnt matter as long as the game itself is fun.
Yes and no. The bottom line is that the majority of new 3D games never take into consideration whether 3D suits the game. It's a buzzword, a catchphrase almost. It doesn't seem to matter these days whether a game is suited to 3D, it's just a trend that is carelessly tossed around. These games are mere products, which is why we say they have no souls. They are created, like the hardware, to expire after the initial shock (?!) of seeing said game wrapped in a 3D engine. For me, that's like sitting around trying every Winamp skin, just to see what Winamp looks like. And like those skins, the majority have no care taken in design. Most of those skins render the buttons practically invisible, which makes no sense. It's an mp3 player, not a picture frame! So what if Cameron Diaz is dripping with vital hormonal secretions on the equalizer, "designers" completely ignore the functionality of the app whilst designing these skins. And the same is the case with most 3D games. It puts a black mark on the genre, but it's an accurate call. Obviously nobody is claiming each and every 3D game is bad simply because the genre has imploded, so picking at that, as most of these threads end up at, is rather pointless. And despite this lengthy paragraph, I agree with your above comment.
Quote:
I think alot of the old adventure games would look nicer and attract a new generation if they were in lifelike 3d with their original story intact.
Change the word would to could and this will be closer.

But, "lifelike 3D"? Now you're sounding like an advertisement. Anyone who thinks 3D games look lifelike needs glasses. Hype is one thing, but let's call a spade a spade here. If life looks like 3D games to you, sell me some of the drugs you're taking. To me, they just look rendered.
Quote:
Porting the old 2d arcade games to 3d mostly kills them, but imagine playing jungle hunt in 3d (swinging from vines would be so cool in 3d).
Somehow, the picture in my mind of this game in 3D is jerky, contains overly-orchestral soundtrack, and features a character with the facial expressions of a Barbie doll, suffers from a dizzying first person perspective which can be alternated with a sideview, when something bad happens to our hero, the screen will shake in an epileptic-inducing splash... (sigh) It's so easy to imagine the gameplay being completely dismissed in a conversion of this type.
Old 26 May 2003, 08:05   #19
manicx

I agree with the above statements. All I can think of, is a jerky engine for an excellent game like pirates. All this crap is pure marketing. The market is lucking innovative games and all that we see is recycling old ideas but this time in 3D... This sucks!
Old 26 May 2003, 08:24   #20
AmiGer

Look at Indiana Jones ! I have always enjoyed playing parts 1-4 and then this sh.. 3d gfx defaced the game play in part 5 and now part 6... I'm not lying I was really disappointed...

XWing/Tie Fighter has successors with better gfx but ... crappy game play...

BTW, you guys rule. Only a subject header and a link is necessary to start such a discussion...