English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.ClassicWB

Old 12 September 2007, 20:48   #1
douglasamcintos

Exclamation Install Problems, I Had A Few

Hello,

Thanks for the pointer in another thread Bloodwych, fabulous project you have

I did try an install onto my trusty 1200. Unzipping the System.zip folder worked up to a point. Then I kept hitting a checksum error on a specific block. I suspect this is a problem with the disc itself. I did also try changing the Max Transfer value as I see being suggested.

Copying the files over from an already unzipped System.zip almost worked but left me with very garbled text on screen that I think was informing me of an error. This happened after booting up.

So I ordered a microdrive from eBay (adapter still to come) and thought I would set it up in winuae. I tried hard. I used the -disablehardrivesafetycheck and the add hard drive option remained resolutely greyed out. The drive did show up on workbench (with the add pc drives option) but could not be formatted, for reasons I have read elsewhere on this forum.

I am using the most recent stable download from the winuae site. Running on an Administrator accoung on a win2k PC. I know it may not work because I am connecting to the microdrive via a USB card reader but surely the option should not be greyed out.

I am typing from a command window

wineuae -disableharddrivesafetycheck

Have tried various spellings (ensuring I do not double up my s or d's) is there anything I am missing out or do I just have to be patient and wait for the ide to CF adapter ?

Anyway fabulous project and thanks again for pointing it out Bloodwych

Douglas
Old 13 September 2007, 10:40   #2
Bloodwych

I'm sorry to hear your having problems.

With regards to your real A1200, what size hard drive is it?

Have you tried formatting it fully to see if you get the error?

Problems can arise from the partition being too big (>2GB), maxtransfer too large (no bigger than the hard disks cache), too few buffers (min 50 for FFS, advise 100). Probably worth checking your RAM is working 100% too.

For the microdrive - as I said in the other thread, I'm no expert on using WinUAE with real drives, so I'm not of much help. Hopefully someone here can help you out.

Or perhaps it's worth posting in the problems hardware forum if you get no response.
Old 13 September 2007, 10:46   #3
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasamcintos View Post
I am using the most recent stable download from the winuae site. Running on an Administrator accoung on a win2k PC. I know it may not work because I am connecting to the microdrive via a USB card reader but surely the option should not be greyed out.
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=31961

Will be fixed in 1.4.4. (fix already in 1.4.4 betas, but do not use older than beta 6)
Old 13 September 2007, 11:17   #4
douglasamcintos

Thanks Toni. Must have missed that in my searches. Will give it a go.
With regards to your real A1200, what size hard drive is it?

Have you tried formatting it fully to see if you get the error?
Only 1.3 Gig. A bog standard format throws up no errors. I have no idea how old it is, possibly it is just slowly dying. No idea about cache or any of the other factors. The RAM works fine on the 4MB setting.

Thanks for the quick response. Off to find a winuae beta.
Old 13 September 2007, 21:34   #5
douglasamcintos

Thumbs up

Thanks Toni that did the trick eventually.

I removed all partitions on the microdrive using Parted, under linux. Started up the most recent Beta of winuae, added it as a hard drive. Amended the HDToolBox to uaehf.device. Then eventually formatted it. Setting the Max Transfer rate down a bit.

Looks like all systems go when I insert it into a real Amiga. Still waiting for my IDE to CF adapter.

Just a random question. If I insert my microdrive into the pcmcia slot (with adapter) will it automatically show up on the work bench as it is an Amiga formatted drive ? This would make it very easy to copy over all the files to my current hard drive.

Is there a nice adf somewhere of useful disk fixing utilities in case this go a little wonky ? As I am not really wanting to format my drive again.

Brilliant work Bloodwych. Thanks for all the advice. Really looking forward to getting this up and running.

Douglas
Old 18 September 2007, 22:08   #6
douglasamcintos

Working, eventually.

Well got my CF adapter today.

The Microdrive: as I stated I got a cheap microdrive off ebay. Worked very well with winuae as a hard drive in a usb adapter. After deleting all the partitions and getting the latest beta of winuae. Set it all up and had a wonderful workbench running very well in winuae.

Opened up the miggy. Took out old hard drive. Inserted the microdrive. Turned on, got very excited, nothing happened. A message telling me to insert my floppy. Hard drive did not show up on workbench. Used HD Toolbox. Drive showed up. Formatted it. Installed a minimal workbench. Rebooted nothing. Repeated several variations of the above nothing worked. Even tried reinstalling via winuae and trying from scratch again. Nothing whatsoever.

Rummaged around my box of stuff. Found a 2gig CF card in my camera.

CF Card: Slotted into miggy. Booted. Not a correct drive error message. Formatted and partitioned it. Took it out. Went into winuae and set it all up their. Using the 0x01ff... max transfer rate. Chucked a bunch of whdload games on it. Slotted back into miggy. Booted.

Worked wonderfully. (I also briefly tried with a cheap no name CF card, would not work, told me it was not a hard disk when I detected settings) Seems to be a bit delicate if I do not give it time to fully open up new folders/ drawers, and gives me a disk busy suspend/reboot error. Then hangs. Nothing a bit of patience does not solve.

I noticed with the CF card adapter there was a flashing red light when the card was being used. The flashing red light never showed up when trying the microdrive. (Though oddly enough the microdrive did boot up after a reboot command from workbench, though not from a cold start) I suspect there may not have been quite enough power to run the microdrive. When I tried it in my camera, as a replacement for the 2 gig CF, it told me it could not use the drive. But it works fine in a usb thingy.

So there you go. Got it all running. Excellent set of programmes on the Workbench Classic Bloodwych Time to relive all the memories I don't have because I have never owned an Amiga before

Thanks for all the help and advice from all around the forums.

Douglas
Old 18 September 2007, 23:31   #7
Bloodwych

Sounds like you've been through a battle! Thanks for keeping us updated.

There are a few people on this forum that use CF cards, they may be able offer you advice in getting it working better.

As for the microdrive, interesting. I wonder if anyone else has got one up and running? Amiga.org or AmigaWorld usually have some technical threads regarding Amiga hardware - might be worth a look if you haven't already.
Old 18 September 2007, 23:40   #8
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodwych View Post
There are a few people on this forum that use CF cards, they may be able offer you advice in getting it working better.

As for the microdrive, interesting. I wonder if anyone else has got one up and running? Amiga.org or AmigaWorld usually have some technical threads regarding Amiga hardware - might be worth a look if you haven't already.
EAB CF card compatibility list
Old 18 September 2007, 23:46   #9
MethodGit

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasamcintos View Post
Install Problems, I Had A Few
But then again....... too many to mention?
Old 19 September 2007, 00:14   #10
Graham Humphrey

ClassicWB the musical, coming soon...