English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 04 December 2016, 14:57   #1
TuKo
Apollo Team

Vampire 500+ Pre-orders now being accepted

Vampire V500 V2+ is now officially ready for preoders !

Register your interest now at http://orders.apollo-accelerators.com/

Old 04 December 2016, 15:18   #2
kipper2k

Vampire 500+ Pre-orders now being accepted

Hi All, As subject says, register your interest here.

http://orders.apollo-accelerators.com/
Old 04 December 2016, 19:55   #3
Omolungo

Why the V500 V2+ is priced 300 euro versus 250 euro of V600 V2?

Is it more powerful?

Is it tested to work with CDTV?
Old 04 December 2016, 20:06   #4
majsta
www.majsta.com

Price is like that because various of reasons. First and most important because we want to get it to the people fast. Yes, it can be done cheaper but then with my slowness everyone will wait forever.
Old 04 December 2016, 20:14   #5
Omolungo

Thank you.

What about CDTV?
Old 04 December 2016, 20:25   #6
grond

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omolungo View Post
Why the V500 V2+ is priced 300 euro versus 250 euro of V600 V2?

Is it more powerful?
The v500+ has IDE and IO for expansions such as wifi.
Old 04 December 2016, 20:31   #7
Spacemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by grond View Post
The v500+ has IDE and IO for expansions such as wifi.
Any plans for a Vampire 600v2 +
Old 04 December 2016, 20:54   #8
emufan

1296 ---> 1354 in just one hour.
great work and thanks alot, team Apollo
Old 04 December 2016, 21:32   #9
portarinos

Great work it is no matter what but it will be even greater if they deliver within reasonable time.
Old 04 December 2016, 21:59   #10
clebin

Quote:
Originally Posted by emufan View Post
1296 ---> 1354 in just one hour.
great work and thanks alot, team Apollo
Anyone know what the number was when preorders opened?
Old 04 December 2016, 22:17   #11
emufan

Quote:
Originally Posted by clebin View Post
Anyone know what the number was when preorders opened?
it was around 1170 - 2 days ago - when i found the "Order Status" feature on
the same side - this was before you could order the v500.
Old 04 December 2016, 22:23   #12
Sinphaltimus

Oh Joy.
Old 05 December 2016, 00:44   #13
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omolungo View Post
Thank you.

What about CDTV?
It does work with CDTV, though you have to disable the CDTV expansion ROM, so the CD drive doesn't work. I have the Vampire 500 in the CDTV right now. It doesn't physically fit without moving some caps and a couple other things around-that is unless you want to use four-or-so 68000 sockets, but then you can't close the case. With Kipper's A1000 board flipped upside down it fits well enough after the other modifications. Also I made the IDE connector right angle. Case does close.

I helped Kipper with another 68000 CPU adapter so it would fit with less-to-no modifications, don't know if he finished it.
Old 05 December 2016, 01:00   #14
Marchie

Just awesome.
Old 05 December 2016, 03:16   #15
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Hum. Everyone's saying it elsewhere but no-one says it here? Dunno why. I think that forums are meant for communication and we can't communicate effectively if we don't share our true feelings, right? Well, then... somebody's gotta say it, so guess it's gonna have to be me: As it is, the Vampires are too expensive. When a board costs more than the computer that it's supposed to enhance, then it's too expensive. I'm not dissing the boards, mind you! Not by any chance! I love them and the work that was put into them is extremely respectable and worthy. I think this is the future and that FPGA will revolutionise the Amiga world. However, their current market cost is just too hight. I know that the production costs have to be met, the producers have to pay for the expense and still have some profit and that the market drives the price and that availability is a paid commodity, etc. I know. But, for me, they're just too expensive. Inevitably, the prices will drop sometime in the future and I guess I'll wait until they do. Anyway, don't let my stance deter you. I honestly wish you good luck with business, mates! Keep on helping the Amiga stay alive.
Old 05 December 2016, 04:02   #16
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortuguesePilot View Post
Hum. Everyone's saying it elsewhere but no-one says it here? Dunno why. I think that forums are meant for communication and we can't communicate effectively if we don't share our true feelings, right? Well, then... somebody's gotta say it, so guess it's gonna have to be me: As it is, the Vampires are too expensive. When a board costs more than the computer that it's supposed to enhance, then it's too expensive. I'm not dissing the boards, mind you! Not by any chance! I love them and the work that was put into them is extremely respectable and worthy. I think this is the future and that FPGA will revolutionise the Amiga world. However, their current market cost is just too hight. I know that the production costs have to be met, the producers have to pay for the expense and still have some profit and that the market drives the price and that availability is a paid commodity, etc. I know. But, for me, they're just too expensive. Inevitably, the prices will drop sometime in the future and I guess I'll wait until they do. Anyway, don't let my stance deter you. I honestly wish you good luck with business, mates! Keep on helping the Amiga stay alive.
A GTX 1080 video card for a PC is worth more than the mainboard you plug it into.

Most vintage computers are available for less money than most things you could buy for them to add to.

You'll frequently find TI-99/4a computers for around $30 US in working condition, almost all add ons for that are more.

I understand it's expensive for you, it is expensive for me as well. But because it is more expensive than the computer doesn't mean it is too expensive, especially because too expensive is a relative term.

Just a counter point not to be argumentative with your opinion.
Old 05 December 2016, 09:27   #17
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
A GTX 1080 video card for a PC is worth more than the mainboard you plug it into.

Most vintage computers are available for less money than most things you could buy for them to add to.

You'll frequently find TI-99/4a computers for around $30 US in working condition, almost all add ons for that are more.

I understand it's expensive for you, it is expensive for me as well. But because it is more expensive than the computer doesn't mean it is too expensive, especially because too expensive is a relative term.

Just a counter point not to be argumentative with your opinion.
Hey, no offence taken! It's precisely this that we should be doing in a forum: exchanging ideas. All your points were valid points. Yet, for me, it all stands as before: the new Vampire's prices are just too steep for what they are. It's a personal opinion based on some price comparing, product analysis and a degree of gut feeling. I have a nagging sense that I will, eventually and down the line, own a Vampire2 of some sort, but it won't be any time soon due to their current price. Still, they're great pieces of hardware and they make your beloved miggys more capable and "modern". That can only be a good thing.
Old 05 December 2016, 10:15   #18
apex

Too expensive? Lol! If we would have to pay in working hours, the cost would be easily double!

I am happy that kipper2k & majsta are now earning some money for their work! Before only fucking ebay dealer made the money.
Old 05 December 2016, 10:36   #19
Robbie

Yeah, it's an awesome product and I would buy one if I could afford it. Alas, I cannot.
Old 05 December 2016, 10:43   #20
tin

I have to agree with the guys defending the expense.

I should say I am one of those that put their name down when the vampire 600 was 90 eur, received nothing and am now being asked to pay 250 eur for (practically) the same thing 3 years late. Obviously it is very hard for me not to be... shall we say... disappointed.

I placed my order (at 290 eur) for the black version without delay.

Same goes for Jens. In what land do you pay 130 eur for a 100mbps network card? In Amiga-land of course (that reminds me I need to buy another...)

Fact is at cheap prices, these things weren't getting made in any number. Going off to (perhaps expensive) manufacturing, and hopefully some extra money in the calculations to make the guys an actual profit means that these things will actually get made, new ones get designed and hopefully there'll end up enough out there for a reasonably active community. That it also limits the ebay gougers is no bad thing.

We have to also remember its not like there's any kind of huge market for Amiga stuff any more. All the time, energy and one-off costs go into maybe 1000 units? 2000 if we're lucky?

Nah, while it is galling - the promise of A600 utopia for 90 eur was a beautiful thing - but I'd much rather pay my 290 eur, actually get a board, and not see the guys that have the skills to create such things get pissed off and leave the scene altogether.