English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 28 July 2014, 14:52   #1
Xtal

Amiga 1200 capslock flashing, no boot.

I have a A1200 rev 2B which died unexpectedly (as always).

What's weird is that the keyboard capslock flashes all the time. I have several spares, and the PSU is ofcourse not the switched crap supply C= used for the 1200's. (The transformer based A500 PSU is a lot more reliable). It's a modified AT psu made by a well known maker (Seventeam) that's obviously a must for anything more than a bare "vanilla" A1200.

I need ideas. I know of the blinks of the keyboard controller, but I have never experienced a Miggy flashing it constantly. One reason might be that my trusty old 1960 multisync CRT experienced a high voltage arching inside, but nothing that would destroy any customchips, since it was the Flyby transformer that died of age. Now replaced and works flawlessly with my other A1200.

The A1200 was left on for about half an hour and I measured the temperatures of the SMD ICs and found nothing out of the ordinary (mostly ambient +2-3 celsius)

Floppy works, keyboard is OK, and the PCMCIA ethernet works fine, and the Phase 5 030@50MHz is just fine... And this is a Commodore produced 1200.

Ideas welcome.
Old 28 July 2014, 16:31   #2
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
This may help you. http://www.amigahistory.co.uk/selftest.html

One blink: Keyboard ROM check failed.
Two blinks: Keyboard RAM check failed.
Three blinks: Watch dog timer failure.
Four blinks: A short between two lines or the special control keys.
Old 28 July 2014, 17:42   #3
Xtal

Nah, I know of the capslock codes, it's just this Amiga 1200 rev. 2b that flashes the capslock key constantly. I pulled all the gear inside and tried it into another A1200, and everything is okay. But something is obviously broken. And I'm stuck. So every idea is welcome. It flashes constantly and not in a "debug" way.
Old 28 July 2014, 17:47   #4
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
Did you try a different KB with the motherboard?
Old 28 July 2014, 17:59   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Amiga is probably in reset loop and has nothing to do with keyboard. Does it still flash if all cables and expansions (display, mouse etc) are disconnected? Does it still flash if you remove one ROM chip? (Yes, weird question but it proves hardware problem if it keeps flashing)
Old 28 July 2014, 19:41   #6
Xtal

Odd/even ROM seatings oxidized?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Amiga is probably in reset loop and has nothing to do with keyboard. Does it still flash if all cables and expansions (display, mouse etc) are disconnected? Does it still flash if you remove one ROM chip? (Yes, weird question but it proves hardware problem if it keeps flashing)
Ehm, I'm actually blushing here since this was one of the first things I'd prone for oxidations/bad contacts. Shame on me!

No. Cleaning the ROM chips (it's a dual ROM Amiga) and the sockets with something not WD40 nor 5-56 didn't help.

I Still have the problem of a constantly flashing capslock LED and I can't make out if the picture from RGB is black or dark grey.

As said earlier, any idea is appreciated...
Old 28 July 2014, 19:43   #7
Xtal

I could leave the Amiga on for hours and it still blinks the capslock repeatedlyg. Ofcorurse it blings when resetted (hardware or Ctrl-A-A) but I have never experienced a miggy flashing the capslock for hours. That's just weird.
Old 28 July 2014, 19:47   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I meant do you get flashing led without nothing (except power) connected to the Amiga? One common problem is monitor that has too heavy load on sync signals (meant to be used with silver colored buffer box), this causes KS code to think there is genlock connected which will cause reboot loop. This is why it is important to test without anything connected.

Test 2: Power it on with all cables (except power) connected and also either (or both) rom chips removed, still led flashing?
Old 28 July 2014, 20:02   #9
Xtal

Quote:
I meant do you get flashing led without nothing (except power) connected to the Amiga? One common problem is monitor that has too heavy load on sync signals (meant to be used with silver colored buffer box), this causes KS code to think there is genlock connected which will cause reboot loop. This is why it is important to test without anything connected.

Test 2: Power it on with all cables (except power) connected and also either (or both) rom chips removed, still led flashing?
Thanks for the hints. I have a Philips 8833-2 "artist edition" (the one with some funku colour splashes, aswell as a CBM 8833 and so on.

What makes me wonder is why the keyboard LED flashes. It's not something I've seen before. Just plain weird.
Old 28 July 2014, 22:17   #10
Xtal

Quote:

---
I've tried a custom powersupply with nothing but the bare 1200 and a FDD and keyboard. Very avare of the Genlock dilemma. Same itchy keyboard flashing. Keyboard is okay, and I can't find any conductive problems from the (well prune to erronuous behaviour) keyboard flatpack cable. (Custom powersupply is one of a ton of remodeled AT powersupplies).

Yes, the HSYNC and VSYNC (combined as CSYNC) needs a proper driver, since the amiga hardware can't produce enough Oompfh to a nice screen. So therefore the 23-15HD adapter supplied by CBM has a AND cmos device to fix that.

I'm stuck. I either have a busted keyboardcontroller ( Very unlikely ) or a Fried CIA. As I said earlier, every idea is welcome. No matter how bizarre. (Ues I'm capable of fitting a OCS DIL CIA to a surface mounted one.)

Everything ripped from the (until a week ago fully functioning) A1200 resides in other A1200 housing. Harddrive, Phase 5 68030/68882, and PCCARD ethernet.

So Every suggestion about what I've missed, even if its me not aligned to Mars and Jupiter ideas are welcome. And I can even custom paint your doormat with "a stupid swede was here" if you like that.
Old 28 July 2014, 22:42   #11
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Capacitor leakage over the reset IC. I have seen that cause this issue in the past.
Old 29 July 2014, 06:56   #12
Xtal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOL View Post
Capacitor leakage over the reset IC. I have seen that cause this issue in the past.
Can you elaborate this further? This sounds weird enough for a try'n'fry
Old 29 July 2014, 10:26   #13
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtal View Post
Look for signs of capacitor leakage.
Old 29 July 2014, 10:30   #14
Xtal

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
Did you try a different KB with the motherboard?
Yes. I have a couple of A1200s from various revisions and the keyboard functions happily in another Rev 2b A1200. So Keyboard is okay. This is a fairly "unhacked" 1200 sp first thing was actually measuring the tracks on the flexcable, and they are within range of specs.
Old 29 July 2014, 10:31   #15
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Quote:
Look at this thread, it may be of help to you: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=958772

Can't remember if it also applies to A1200s though...
Old 29 July 2014, 10:49   #16
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

All keyboard logic is on A1200 MB (most other models have keyboard microcontoller on keyboard itself).

This is the reason why I asked for testing without ROM chip, if led still flashes, it is near guaranteed to be problem with keyboard microcontroller or reset circuit.
Old 29 July 2014, 21:34   #17
Xtal

I have had a lot of thunder here in a +30 celcius environment so I haven't been able to test things out as I should have. Seems though that the keyboard controller might have been fried. Will take me about a week to "recollect".

You guys (and gals) are beautiful when error checking "nostalgic" hardware.
Old 01 August 2014, 18:14   #18
Xtal

Quote:
All keyboard logic is on A1200 MB (most other models have keyboard microcontoller on keyboard itself).

This is the reason why I asked for testing without ROM chip, if led still flashes, it is near guaranteed to be problem with keyboard microcontroller or reset circuit.
Yes I know. I've as a service engineer used a couple of homemade A500 keyboard adapters for A1000, A2000 and A3000. I actually suspect the keyboard MCU has gone to the fried land. Reset circuitry is less prone to die from weird stuff. (But I have an open slot for that could be the reason of course)
Old 05 August 2014, 21:16   #19
Xtal

NE555 as reset? No that only applies on A600.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbenam View Post
Look at this thread, it may be of help to you: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=958772

Can't remember if it also applies to A1200s though...
No only the A600 has the NE555 reset solution. I have to go through the schematics of the 1200 2B to find some clues.
Old 05 August 2014, 22:31   #20
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Quote:
No only the A600 has the NE555 reset solution. I have to go through the schematics of the 1200 2B to find some clues.
Cant remember off the top of my head, but the chips around the floppy area.