English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 21 April 2010, 17:59   #1
Geraldine
Amigas4Ever!

Location: Sunny Scotland. Anarchy System Tech Level 0 No Police Presence. Enter At Own Risk!
Funny Thing Happened When Using My Amiga

What's the funny or strangest thing ever to happen to you while using your Amiga?

I will start off by recalling an interesting incident that occurred while using my 1200. I had fitted a 3.5 inch HD drive and had been using it for quite some time, when all of a sudden it started to smoke! I thought all was lost as far as the 1200 was concearned. But when I opened up the case to see the horrors within, the hard drive and ribbon were burned out, but otherwise the rest of the board was fine, in fact it still works to this day! One tough little computer!

So what's your memories?
Old 21 April 2010, 18:05   #2
deicidal
Registered Insane

Well I dont think it was funny, but when i got my action replay mkII, having a play with the differnt things I type in samp and not scan (i think) . The erternal drive made a lovely noise and never worked properly after that. Got to love undocumented features.
Old 22 April 2010, 03:45   #3
birdy-scc
Banned

God, I've got so many stories... but the best one is probably when I used an amiga external floppy as a weapon in an extreme nerd situation; it interfaced with the guy's napper better than it ever did with the amiga.
Old 22 April 2010, 08:09   #4
blade002
Zone Friend

This wasn't really something that happened to the Amiga i just THOUGHT something was wrong with the Amiga!! (stupid on my part). Anyway, I had only had my Amiga a short while when i went and bought the game Captive and after looking at all the screen shots on the back of the box i thought WOW doesn't this game look great plus i had seen all the reviews and screen shots in the magazines...etc..

Ok, so i got the game home, fired it up and suddenly i noticed the main game play viewing was all blocky and pixelated but he control console in the game such as the arrows to control movement and the 4 computer monitors above the main view area were fine! So i actually thought that my Amiga's display hardware was starting to die and i was fretting and panicking thinking OH NO!!! my Amiga is dying!!! ...

UNTIL i kept playing and replaced TINDRON head your droids begin the game with an upgraded head and then i suddenly realized all was FINE!!!

I can be such a dick head!!!
Old 22 April 2010, 12:22   #5
Geraldine
Amigas4Ever!

Location: Sunny Scotland. Anarchy System Tech Level 0 No Police Presence. Enter At Own Risk!
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy-scc View Post
God, I've got so many stories... but the best one is probably when I used an amiga external floppy as a weapon in an extreme nerd situation; it interfaced with the guy's napper better than it ever did with the amiga.
Liked that one! Great stories folks keep em coming!
Old 22 April 2010, 14:37   #6
Dreedo

I had something that happened like your Amiga, except it was a networking hub, i plugged it into the wall and turned it on, and for some reason it set alight and started smoke pouring out of its vents.

Not much has happened when using my amiga, except i put a floppy disk in the drive, a disk that i had used the tape trick on to make it think it was a DD floppy, unfortunately, the tape was a bit loose, so the floppy disk got stuck to the floppy drive in my Amiga, so i had to get some tweezer's and pull the floppy disk out, the opening mechanism wasn't strong enough to break the adhesive.
Old 22 April 2010, 14:45   #7
deicidal
Registered Insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreedo View Post
Not much has happened when using my amiga, except i put a floppy disk in the drive, a disk that i had used the tape trick on to make it think it was a DD floppy
I didn't think you had to bother and it just assumes what ever you stick in is DD?
Old 22 April 2010, 14:47   #8
Dreedo

lol i have no idea. I get confused with these things. Lots of strange things have happened today, i just saw a dragonfly hit my window. First one this year.
Old 22 April 2010, 15:01   #9
deicidal
Registered Insane

I have had floppy's get stuck in drive because id got DD stuck in the drive as i'd done the qick fix and stuck a soldering iron through it to make PC drive take it as HD
Old 22 April 2010, 21:00   #10
Anakirob
Unregistered User

On one occasion I found a dead bee inside an A600. And on another, a live spider inside an A2000.
Old 23 April 2010, 00:48   #11
Geraldine
Amigas4Ever!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakirob View Post
On one occasion I found a dead bee inside an A600. And on another, a live spider inside an A2000.
Well it is nice and warm inside an Amiga, although noting you are in OZ, I hope it was not poisonous! Yes I admit if it were me I would run from spiders, they scary!
Old 23 April 2010, 01:09   #12
Philophus

Quote:
You could fit a colony of small furry animals in them 2000's!
Old 23 April 2010, 01:43   #13
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

i remember i was playing with a friend to professionnal football masters and it was late the season was finished and i told him save the game ....
and what he did : load all the 3 years we did wasn't saved !!!
at that moment i was like this but know it's funny .

and i have an other story, always with the same friend, he was playing to lotus III like crazy he screamed : i 'm beating all the scores !!!! but it's a guy that move all his body during each curve and especially his feet, and he touch the power supply of the 500 and shut down this one, it was funny even at this moment...

Last story :we played often we friends perhaps 6 at the same time to pinball fantasies and i had a friend who always loose and one day i made him a joke i active a cheat that make that the ball can't go out and he play during one hour and he was screaming who is the king , look what i can do .....
Old 23 April 2010, 10:03   #14
deicidal
Registered Insane

Quote:
I did once wake up to find my cat sat in my PC trying to see how tasty one of the power connectors was.
Old 23 April 2010, 14:00   #15
8bitbubsy

Quote:
Originally Posted by turrican3 View Post
and i have an other story, always with the same friend, he was playing to lotus III like crazy he screamed : i 'm beating all the scores !!!! but it's a guy that move all his body during each curve and especially his feet, and he touch the power supply of the 500 and shut down this one, it was funny even at this moment...

Well I have no stories other than that my cat loves Amiga demos!
His eyes are following each movement, and sometimes he tries to catch flying sprites
And he's good at keeping eye contact with sinescrollers.. Poor cat, I wonder if he gets dizzy.
Old 23 April 2010, 14:20   #16
Geraldine
Amigas4Ever!

Speaking of cats, I used to have one who could not resist from lying across the Amiga's keyboard. Most annoying mid game! Even worse, he would fall asleep and that was that, game over. I could never shift him after that! Funny thing was he never did it with the PCs keyboard, so at least he had taste!