English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Requests > request.Apps

Old 17 November 2004, 18:51   #1
Andrew

Send a message via Yahoo to Andrew
Virus on my Amiga Disks

Hi there

A few years ago I bought a game from ebay and it turned out it had a virus on it and infected a lot of my disks. I thought i managed to get rid of this virus but there must have been 1 disk that escaped when i used my virus software on it.

The problem with the virus is that when you load workbench and the anti-virus sofware, it infects the wokbench disk and any other disks you put in DF1 while the infected disk is in DF0. To run the anti-virus software, you HAVE to have workbench in, so therefore gets infected.

I can't get the program I originally used to clean my disks to work, in don't know why, though. I was wondering if there is a bootable from disk anti-virus programm out there i can use to clean my disks. Many thanks for any help given, i hope i have explained it well enough.

Thanks

Last edited by Paul; 17 November 2004 at 19:24. Reason: deleted a direct signature
Old 17 November 2004, 18:58   #2
Bloodwych

Try having a look on here. Some bootable floppy disks available:

http://www.vht-dk.dk/vhtdk/amiga/download.htm
Old 17 November 2004, 19:54   #3
lloyd
Mehh :D

what you do is boot from a write-protected floppy with the virus killer on it. Do you remember the name of the program? I may have it somewhere....
Old 17 November 2004, 22:45   #4
Andrew

Hi there. Thanks for your help

The program i used originally was called simpley Virus Checker i think. It was put on the Amiga Shopper coverdisks very regulary as new updates came out.

I think all my Amiga Shopper coverdisks are infected I think. Your right about copy-protecting the disks. The virus is spread by using the infected disks with clean ones eg. Infected disk in DF0, put a clean one in DF1 and acess it, and it will become infected.
Old 17 November 2004, 23:54   #5
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew
The virus is spread by using the infected disks with clean ones eg. Infected disk in DF0, put a clean one in DF1 and acess it, and it will become infected.
Oh yes, the great days of old when stopping viruses spreading was as simple as flicking a little plastic switch.

Actually this method can still be used today if you have a Windows XP machine - it's that good I'm suprised that nobody has mentioned it before....who needs Norton Aunty Virus/SystemOverload 2012 when you can use this method, and the best thing is it's free !!

.... still here? .....

.... OK.....

Jim's Top Anti-Virus Tip

Just reach around the back of your computer, you should see a black plastic switch quite larger than the ones you get on floppies. Rather than try and slide it simply press it - that's it, no more viruses - your machine is protected

Old 18 November 2004, 08:49   #6
redblade
Zone Friend

hmm i'm guessing your workbench disk is infected. okay what you can do is this.

do you have 2 drives if so, slap workbench in df1: and another AmigaDOS disk in df0:

boot up amiga dos, press ctrl-c/d, untill it says **break**

then put in disk with virus killer in df0:.

then do df1:c/dir df0:

you may have to use df1:c/cd df0:directory_that_has_virus_killer_in_it.
then df0:viruskiller

and hope like hell that the virus killer doesn't require libs that are in df0:libs...
Old 18 November 2004, 18:04   #7
lloyd

Hi Andrew

I have just uploaded two DMS files to the Zone for you. Both are from the 17 Bit PD Library CD Rom (CD#5). If they don't cure your problem let me know and I'll grab something else for ya from Aminet. Do you need the DMS extraction util etc??
Old 18 November 2004, 18:37   #8
Bloodwych

Great of you of to help him lloyd, but didn't Andrew find the DMS files on that link I posted above - they are fairly up-to-date.

Quote:
Download Packed Boot-Able floppy-disk's.
If your system is infected with a virus, this is the safest way to test for virus, just unpack the .DMS archive to a floppy, and boot with the disk
Old 18 November 2004, 19:14   #9
lloyd

Ah!!

ermmmmm I didn't see the link

I just made a point of remembering to send him some stuff (which was before your post) and when I finally got around to it, you'd already posted him a link - so doh!!! to me for not looking and thanks to you for supplying something else more up to date. He did say it was an old virus he had tho....
Old 18 November 2004, 21:16   #10
Bloodwych

Hey no problem lloyd - like I said it's great you're offering help!

Just wanted to point out the DMS files from that link again as he may have missed them.

Last edited by Bloodwych; 18 November 2004 at 22:06.
Old 18 November 2004, 22:21   #11
Dr. Dude

@ Jim

Heyyyyyy that works way better
Old 23 November 2004, 19:16   #12
Andrew

Hi everyone

Thanks for all you help. Sorry I haven't replied sooner, I've been snowed under with uni work

I can't seem to acess the zone though. It says I don't have permission to acess the page Any ideas??

Thanks again for helping me
Old 23 November 2004, 19:44   #13
Belgarath
HOL Team Member

Read the FAQ
Old 12 December 2004, 09:04   #14
HCF
Zone Friend

Quote:
Hi everyone

Thanks for all you help. Sorry I haven't replied sooner, I've been snowed under with uni work

I can't seem to acess the zone though. It says I don't have permission to acess the page Any ideas??

Thanks again for helping me
You could also try to find a disk with System-Z/Pvl AV on it...Best Anti-Virus I know....It will stay resident in memory and if you overwrite a Bootblock it will copy itself on the disk giving you more protection...
There is no need to worry about damaging healthy disks and people who claim it is a virus are not credible IMO...Hope it helps
Old 12 December 2004, 19:18   #15
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
A few years ago I bought a game from ebay and it turned out it had a virus on it and infected a lot of my disks. I thought i managed to get rid of this virus but there must have been 1 disk that escaped when i used my virus software on it.

The problem with the virus is that when you load workbench and the anti-virus sofware, it infects the wokbench disk and any other disks you put in DF1 while the infected disk is in DF0. To run the anti-virus software, you HAVE to have workbench in, so therefore gets infected.
HUH?
That's barely logical!
It *cannot* infect your Workbench disk if you write protect it!
If you really *require* to have your WB write-enabled (probably because of "Command-0-T01" in T: ), then your startup-sequence should get an overhaul on the double!