English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Coders > Coders. Language > Coders. C/C++

Old 27 May 2018, 18:15   #241
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Took a few months... but the WarpOS SDL library has matured quite a bit.

See for some examples: [ Show youtube player ]
Old 28 May 2018, 00:11   #242
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

My attempt at C coding (well, actually copy/pasting other people's work) can be found at:

https://github.com/Sakura-IT/libSDL_WarpOS
Old 28 May 2018, 17:12   #243
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon_ View Post
Isn't elf2exe2 just elf2hunk? I'll do some experiments and see what I come up with.
A bit late, but the answer is no.

Elf2Exe2 also adds a 68K hunk responsible for opening the powerpc.library and jumping to the PPC code (RunPPC) amongst other stuff.
Old 28 May 2018, 17:26   #244
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
A bit late, but the answer is no.

Elf2Exe2 also adds a 68K hunk responsible for opening the powerpc.library and jumping to the PPC code (RunPPC) amongst other stuff.
Yeah, I figured as much. Too bad the source is far gone. It would be real nice to cross compile WarpOS stuff from linux x86-64.
Old 29 May 2018, 00:56   #245
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Yeah, I figured as much. Too bad the source is far gone. It would be real nice to cross compile WarpOS stuff from linux x86-64.

How hard could it be....

Though lately as I try compiling larger and larger projects on the Mac Mini, I start to wish I could cross compile, though testing is a bit of a pain in that case. ScummVM for instance takes about 3 hours on the Mac Mini and that's with an SSD. FBA or MAME is like start before bed and hope it didn't stop sometime in the night.
Old 29 May 2018, 01:05   #246
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
How hard could it be....

Though lately as I try compiling larger and larger projects on the Mac Mini, I start to wish I could cross compile, though testing is a bit of a pain in that case. ScummVM for instance takes about 3 hours on the Mac Mini and that's with an SSD. FBA or MAME is like start before bed and hope it didn't stop sometime in the night.
Well, it certainly would be nice for me, as I try my ports on all systems.

Currently I have a setup where I can easily switch between compiling for AmigaOS 3.x, AmigaOS 4.x, MorphOS and AROS-ABIv1. I would like to make that more complete.

My only MorphOS machine I could use for compiling is an old Powermac G4 Sawtooth 450MHz, which would be painfully slow to compile stuff on.

I would very much like to get into the whole WarpOS Sonnet thing, but it's quite a steep expense curve to try and get hold of an A3000/4000 + Mediator + Sonnet/Rapture.

I could of course try stuff in UAE, but it doesn't always work like it does IRL.
Old 29 May 2018, 01:37   #247
grelbfarlk

Quote:

I would very much like to get into the whole WarpOS Sonnet thing, but it's quite a steep expense curve to try and get hold of an A3000/4000 + Mediator + Sonnet/Rapture.

A Mac Mini PPC isn't really that expensive but it's a silly expensive hobby anyway, then you need a MorphOS license too-then it's not really that cheap.

My offer still stands for a free* Rapture if someone wants to do some porting**, but that doesn't help much if you don't have an A3000/4000 or a Mediator.

Would be really easier to tempt the curious if the bar to entry wasn't so high.

*Only one available now
**Terms and conditions apply
Old 29 May 2018, 04:36   #248
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

I wouldn't recommend compiling on the rapture with a real Amiga. It's still 2.95.3.
Old 29 May 2018, 04:37   #249
Marlon_
AmigaDev.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedeon View Post
I wouldn't recommend compiling on the rapture with a real Amiga. It's still 2.95.3.
That's not what I mean though.
Old 02 June 2018, 01:05   #250
grelbfarlk

Quote:
That's not what I mean though.

You know the other option, and it's not really ideal but not totally crazy is you could do like Emufan did. Use your cross compiler and dump the elf on the Sonnet equipped Amiga and run Elf2exe2 there or UAE. Of course UAE takes a few tries to run it before it doesn't throw an exception. Doesn't that sound super fun?
Old 08 July 2018, 16:39   #251
Hedeon
Semi-Retired

I've looked into elf2exe2 and identified which part is added to WarpOS hunk files. When I have the time I will look into it further. I don't know if the programs you pointed to make ELF RELOC files which are different to the ELF EXE files from for example OS4. Also not sure if it really matters, maybe it handles both.

On a side note, I added a WarpOS SDL port of Ur-Quan Masters to Aminet.
Old 13 July 2018, 00:02   #252
grelbfarlk

Long story short, seems I'm having new bugs with the vintage version of WarpSNES on the new PPC board. The screen is not updating properly like the frameskip is now skipping way more than it is supposed to. Vintage WarpSNES runs nearly perfectly with sound on Sonnet, Rapture G4 and so on, just with the new Ragnarok board am I having problems.

So trying again to get Snex9x 1.53 rebuilt, attached is the work in progress. Seems to run fine on Ragnarok. Still missing Joystick support but it basically works for testing.
Old version crashed on non Altivec-equipped CPUs. Probably requires a very fast PPC, like >800MHz.
Attached Files
File Type: zip snes9x-sdlg6v1.zip (1.42 MB, 157 views)

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 13 July 2018 at 00:53.
Old 26 July 2018, 02:59   #253
Wrangler

@grelbfarlk: I know I'm not allowed to mention f***craft but how about conversions of Stargus/Stratagus, Wolfenstein and/or Alien v Predator?
Old 31 July 2018, 03:29   #254
grelbfarlk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrangler View Post
@grelbfarlk: I know I'm not allowed to mention f***craft but how about conversions of Stargus/Stratagus, Wolfenstein and/or Alien v Predator?

Stratagus has been working for a long time and BOS Wars "works" fine. I'll send it to you if you want. It's the tools to convert the assets to the engine that don't work right. So if the assets are available and work with the engine, the game should work.

So while Stratagus works with BOS, the Stargus tool doesn't convert the Starcraft assets into the right format for it to work.

Wolfenstein 3d? Or you mean RTCW?

AVP I played around with, it needs some Cowcat magic to make sense of OpenGL->W3D stuff. I thought it would be simple with SDL-GL but it seems to want to use gl/gl.h directly. Though a lot of it seemed to compile ok.

Looping back around to the beginning, I looked at FPSE 10.6 again, and it seems like the main executable is a tiny little 68k program which loads the plugins which do all the stuff. The plugin source is available, so maybe just maybe the plugins which handle W3D, Sound, etc could be compiled for WarpOS. Big and many maybes here. Or if anyone else would like to look at it and say "You're stupid and wrong and I don't like you" that would be a big help and I'd stop knifing around with it.

http://www.amidog.se/amiga/bin/FPSE/...0.6-SDK.tar.gz

The rather large FPSE.DLL that I overlooked in the 68k archive I think has the main part of the emulator which doesn't appear to be in the source. So not reasonable idea.

Last edited by grelbfarlk; 01 August 2018 at 02:20.
Old 14 June 2020, 00:54   #255
samo79

Quote:
Originally Posted by grelbfarlk View Post
Long story short, seems I'm having new bugs with the vintage version of WarpSNES on the new PPC board. The screen is not updating properly like the frameskip is now skipping way more than it is supposed to. Vintage WarpSNES runs nearly perfectly with sound on Sonnet, Rapture G4 and so on, just with the new Ragnarok board am I having problems.

So trying again to get Snex9x 1.53 rebuilt, attached is the work in progress. Seems to run fine on Ragnarok. Still missing Joystick support but it basically works for testing.
Old version crashed on non Altivec-equipped CPUs. Probably requires a very fast PPC, like >800MHz.
Got this AmigaDOS alert on OS4:

Process tries to close an already closed file

Process: snes9x-sdlg6v1
Function: close()