English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 26 July 2017, 17:30   #41
Toryglen-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nibbler View Post
Lucky you

PS: oohh all my horrible typos sorry guys...
haha!! no luck my friend, research and trial and error !!

Old 26 July 2017, 18:01   #42
Toryglen-boy

Amigastore.eu sells an optional CF card with the Furia, they only sell a Sandisk CF card with it.

what does that tell you

http://amigastore.eu/en/480-furia-33...amiga-600.html
Old 26 July 2017, 18:55   #43
EzdineG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toryglen-boy View Post
Amigastore.eu sells an optional CF card with the Furia, they only sell a Sandisk CF card with it.

what does that tell you

That it probably boots with it.

I've two set ups that seem to be fine, but have days when they hard lock or occasionally red screen (kicked from file.) All if this went away when I switched to an SD adaptor.
Old 26 July 2017, 19:30   #44
Coderian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EzdineG View Post
Don't you need an MMU to be able to use that graffiti emulation? The ECS couldn't be used to run DOOM in that mode on a Furia.
This crossed my mind but I'll find out in a couple of days and report back
Old 26 July 2017, 19:56   #45
Coderian

Quote:

what does that tell you

I was going to say that they should ship working CF with furia. I got mine from eBay and I know the seller but the problem is that doesn't matter if it's eBay or net store it should be scpecified exactly what brand name and type to use with furia. Stating in the furia description that this card is fussy with CF cards does not tell me much. I actually checked 4 different CF adapters and 6 different cards, some of them from my synths which are top grade $100+ for 4gb very fast cards and I could format them , I copied files and then out of blue system freeze after 30 minutes of no problems and once it started then it just kept on going but some times 5 minutes no freeze sometimes It won't even load directory. Now I went through every part of the 600 replacing even floppy, cables, checking processors cold welds and loose legs and I spent a lot of time on nothing and was about suspect bad furia card. There is no proper documentation available for this card , typing furia trouble shows nothing but some chumps video trying to do what I do without any luck. And finally I got here and thanks to Nibbler I got it working and honestly as long as it works it doesn't make no difference what card I use, of course I think CF are better suited for hard drive function but none of mine would work with furia but all work with 1200 and base 600. If I knew I would get furia and the card from your link here and save the hassle. I'm just glad I didn't go back to seller and try to tell him that he sold me a bad card that's how hopeless it looked to me but I know how very good this guy is with his products. Now I should have a little more time at te end of the week and I'm thinking that with help of all you guys we should write some sort of manual or specify at least exactly what works and what to avoid. Like Nibbler said this is a very good card, I'm completely blown away by its speed even that's only 020 and no mmu but what I have noticed that people start to write negative feedback for this accelerator and I think it deserves the top place (except vampire of course) as it is still available (unlike 030 one, cmon they only made few of them) and it's that good!(except the CF fiasco )
Edit: I checked amigastore page and they only specify Cf card as Sandisk but I could to find any card model specifications. One of my cards was pre-formatted combo with adapter, verified on the actual hardware but this CF card was no go either....

Last edited by Coderian; 26 July 2017 at 21:32.
Old 26 July 2017, 21:23   #46
Toryglen-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coderian View Post
I was going to say that they should ship working CF with furia. I got mine from eBay and I know the seller but the problem is that doesn't matter if it's eBay or net store it should be scpecified exactly what brand name and type to use with furia. Stating in the furia description that this card is fussy with CF cards does not tell me much. I actually checked 4 different CF adapters and 6 different cards, some of them from my synths which are top grade $100+ for 4gb very fast cards and I could format them , I copied files and then out of blue system freeze after 30 minutes of no problems and once it started then it just kept on going but some times 5 minutes no freeze sometimes It won't even load directory. Now I went through every part of the 600 replacing even floppy, cables, checking processors cold welds and loose legs and I spent a lot of time on nothing and was about suspect bad furia card. There is no proper documentation available for this card , typing furia trouble shows nothing but some chumps video trying to do what I do without any luck. And finally I got here and thanks to Nibbler I got it working and honestly as long as it works it doesn't make no difference what card I use, of course I think CF are better suited for hard drive function but none of mine would work with furia but all work with 1200 and base 600. If I knew I would get furia and the card from your link here and save the hassle. I'm just glad I didn't go back to seller and try to tell him that he sold me a bad card that's how hopeless it looked to me but I know how very good this guy is with his products. Now I should have a little more time at te end of the week and I'm thinking that with help of all you guys we should write some sort of manual or specify at least exactly what works and what to avoid. Like Nibbler said this is a very good card, I'm completely blown away by its speed even that's only 020 and no mmu but what I have noticed that people start to write negative feedback for this accelerator and I think it deserves the top place (except vampire of course as it is still available (unlike 030 one, cmon they only made few of them) and it's that good!(except the CF fiasco
i hear you, unfortunately, all i know is, "it's fussy", and i only know that trough trial and error, with the Furia removed, the A600 boots with ANY CF card, well, just about. I have found that by far the best ones, are the older Blue Sandisk CF Cards (industrial grade maybe? even the used ones, seem to cost a bit)

It took me a while to get it working rock solid, but like i said, Sandisk CF card, and PFS3 made a work like a Boss, sure i still get a few lock up's on the odd occasion, but TBH, no more than any other card, and as an everyday accelerator, its FAR more usable than the Vampire II i have in another A600, needless to say, "turtle mode" on the V2 has been the bane of my life, the socket connection on the Furia is also FAR better than the V2, and anyone who has a Vampire 2, will know you really have to run it with the A600 case unscrewed, even if its bolted down, it still needs pressed on occasionally. The Furia by comparison needs alot of pressure to fit, but has a reassuring 'SNAP' when its fitted, and it's really stable. You have to expect these little quirks i suppose, for a 68020, i am really pleased with the speed of it, and for the price, i don't think i can recommend it enough

None of this is pie in the sky, this all comes from a dialogue with Boris, the makers of the card, to get technical information. Did you know he has made a Furia 030 ???

Linkage

EDIT : Forgot to mention, the link above has a thread with a link to a patch that allows you to run PCMCIA compatibility, and use the 8MB RAM
Old 26 July 2017, 21:43   #47
Coderian

Wow, I had heard about 030 somewhere but did not see the actual board. This looks great and the main board looks like it's based on 020, the same chips placement, do you think if we removed the radiator of 020 we could just clip 030 on top of 020... lol just kidding!!!! I hope they make some of these too I have noticed it's about 15 percent faster than our 020 but the mmu would be a nice addition. If I remember correctly there used to be external mmu for full 020 processors available back then . I'm really interested in pushing the Amiga to its max and now seeing p96 emulation on indivision ecs makes a600 very interesting machine, love my 1200 but 600 is so much more portable and it just makes it very fun machine with all extensions options nowadays. I never thought back in the days that I'll be favoriting 600 over other machines... I signed up for vampire but I got a feeling it is going to take a long time to get one or I just wait for the one for 1200... especially now that I have awesome 600 for original Amiga software...
I have a huge respect for Boris, Lotharek and the rest for their genius for designing and still manufacturing new things for our great computers and big cheers for all of us users that still stick with this magnificent machines!!
I'm actually not sure if there is an actual 020 on our furia or is it implemented? I'm might be wrong but I've read somewhere that there is a firmware for 020 furia to make it run even faster? That would suggest implementation then..?? Btw these boards 020&030 look so clean and well design, very nice indeed..
I'm going to look for PSF3 and found this thread regarding it:
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?p=831346#post831346

Last edited by Coderian; 26 July 2017 at 23:07.
Old 26 July 2017, 23:17   #48
Coderian

Quote:
Dont underestimate the Furia. Its faster than some 030 cards.
The Memory speed of this thing is just incredible with 17,01 MB/s !!!! and just like Jay Miner said ... its the Memory bandwidth ...

[ Show youtube player ]

(skip to min 27:20 ... timestamp dosent seem to work here)

thats why even Nemac IV run pretty well on that little beast and demos like this runs suuuper smooth. (just a example.. there are so many..)
[ Show youtube player ] ( the video is not from the furia )

(just a example but its the crazy fast memory that make this and other demos run like hot butter on the Furia )

I dont know about Doom tho. It has to deal with the 16Bit Chipmem bandwith in the OCS/ECS Amigas and that slows down DOOM ATTACK by half...no fun.
I mean, sure its fun to see doom on the amiga but there are native and exclusive amiga games like Nemac IV, Gloom,Trapped ,ect .
(those are grafitti compatible)

Anyway. I am really glad youre A600 is stable now.
Thanks! I'm very happy! I have Genetic Species full game for 1200, they made full version available on Aminet and of course Gloom on 1200 (i bought new back then) but I can't find NemacIV or ports of Gloom and other games for ECS, I'm going to look around as I really like to see them work on my 600. Gloom was huge back then and even now it is so enjoyable and shows off superbly design game and levels!
Old 26 July 2017, 23:49   #49
Toryglen-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coderian View Post
Thanks! I'm very happy! I have Genetic Species full game for 1200, they made full version available on Aminet and of course Gloom on 1200 (i bought new back then) but I can't find NemacIV or ports of Gloom and other games for ECS, I'm going to look around as I really like to see them work on my 600. Gloom was huge back then and even now it is so enjoyable and shows off superbly design game and levels!
pretty sire Nemac IV will run natively on ECS, but will have to check. Good speed access seems to be key, my ACA1233n that i use in one of my A1200's has a read speed of 55+MB's. it's well nippy, faster memory speeds than my Apollo 1260, but still nowhere near as fast

Old 27 July 2017, 10:23   #50
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

Quote:
sure i still get a few lock up's on the odd occasion, but TBH, no more than any other card,
Sorry, but thats what i was saying about the SANDISC CF and CF in general.

You SHOULD not getting ANY LOCKUPS. (but if you like them, go ahead )

Its also not normal for turbocards to "lockup" . Sure , there where such cards back in the day and even the furia is not the most compatible but that dosent mean its "normal".

Get rid of those CF cards !!!!! (except you like freezes)

Another advice i want to give is...

Have different versions of the WHDLOAD exe file (i think i said that already)

But also KEEP the JST execute in C !!!!
Some Games/demos wont work right with whdload on the furia, but if you use the JST with the same WHDLOAD slave it works great.

Example: the demo 9 Fingers. (there are graphic glitches in the middle of the demo on the furia, even tooltypes dosent seem to fix them)

and it works on all my other amigas.

If i use JST 9fingers.slave quiet Quietkey=$5F

it works flawless.

PS:i only want to make furia users life easyer, nothing more.

Greetings, Nibbler

PPS:@coderian. Why "ports" of Nemac 4 and Gloom? They run both on ECS witout any "ports". They are NOT AGA Exclusive
Old 27 July 2017, 12:39   #51
idrougge

Quote:
Sorry, but thats what i was saying about the SANDISC CF and CF in general.

You SHOULD not getting ANY LOCKUPS. (but if you like them, go ahead )
I don't get any.
Old 27 July 2017, 13:09   #52
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

The Quote said Toryglen-Boy !!!! Why did you thought i meant you ?? - and if you use a CF on the witheboard furia without problems, then great. I am really glad for you.

But CF on the witheboard is just a gamble at this point.

I want to make the life for Furia v2 user more easy, all i try to do here is to share my experience with others, so we can help each other.

Honestly, i was thinking of opening a Furia troubleshooting, Including special whdload settings for games and demos, workarounds and stuff.
but thinking of it made me not do it....

Anyway, BIG greetings from Nibbler

Last edited by Nibbler; 27 July 2017 at 13:27. Reason: Together we stand, divided we fall !
Old 27 July 2017, 15:08   #53
Toryglen-boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrougge View Post
I don't get any.
or me.
Old 27 July 2017, 15:11   #54
Toryglen-boy

Quote:
But CF on the witheboard is just a gamble at this point.

i am smelling what your selling, but to be fair, that's quite inaccurate.

As stated, its just picky about what it will use, Amiga store ONLY sells it with a Sandisk CF card, and the Furia's i have, work absolutely flawlessly with them, they wouldn't sell it with the Furia, if it didn't work.

Old 27 July 2017, 16:12   #55
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

To Quote you : " sure i still get a few lock up's on the odd occasion, but TBH, no more than any other card .... "

That said it all. Good Luck with CF cards, really
Old 27 July 2017, 21:56   #56
Coderian

The bottom line is that all of us here uses furia and each of us found different solutions that works
Now let's unite without your support guys I would be still pulling my hair off my head so thank you all!!!!
I'll look around and see if another fresh thread would be worth starting just for working a600 furia configurations and we could specify ours and add whatever each of us has done in order to get it running (file types, exact CF card models, additional extensions or fixes) I don't know , what do you think? It won't be anything big just a quick reference..?
Edit: actually I would like some of Nibblers solutions for Whdload but I personally have no experience at all with it and this would have to be something initiated by you Nibbler. I'm in the progress of getting games for 500 from my 1200 transferred to 600 and I'll report back on what works what doesn't. My 1200 wasn't very happy about quite a lot of original 500 games but my 030 did cause some incompatibility issues for sure.

Last edited by Coderian; 27 July 2017 at 22:08.
Old 27 July 2017, 22:00   #57
Coderian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarp View Post
I had to build another Amiga 600 to test my Furia again. Indeed my startup-sequence led to boot loop for reason or another. I revised my startup-sequence and this seems to work well:

Code:
;
; Check if Furia accelerator is present. If it is then enable IDE speedup, 
; maprom, extra memory and mark ROM update to be skipped.
;
C:furiatune >RAM:furiatune.log status
C:Search >NIL: RAM:furiatune.log "no furia"
If WARN
  C:Search >NIL: RAM:furiatune.log "MapROM is active"
  If WARN
    C:furiatune >NIL: ide on maprom Devs:Kickstarts/kick45061.A600 reboot
  EndIf
  C:furiatune >NIL: addmem
  Set ROMUpdate 0
EndIf
C:Delete >NIL: RAM:furiatune.log

If $ROMUpdate EQ 0
  C:SetPatch NOROMUPDATE QUIET
Else
  C:SetPatch QUIET
EndIf
So if Furia is detected, ide speedup and maprom is applied and Amiga is rebooted. After reboot only extra memory will be added and ROMUpdate
variable will be set to 0 which causes SetPatch to skip ROM update (and another reboot). Idea is that maprom is used to load ROM which already contains all the necessary patches (e.g. 3.x).

I still use "furiatune status" to detect what if maprom has already been applied, because at the same time I can detect presence of Furia. This allows me to swap HDD between Vampire and Furia equipped Amigas. If there are no such requirement then "C:Version >NIL: exec.library 45 20" or something like that could be used instead.

For the reference, I have following code after Furia initialization code so the same startup-sequence works for Furia and Vampire:

Code:
;
; Check if Vampire accelerator is present. If it is then enable fast IDE 
; and mark ROM update to be skipped. 
;
C:VampireTool Check
IF NOT WARN
  C:VampireTool FastIDE
  Set ROMUpdate 0
EndIf
Hey Jarp
Did you get this to work? I actually tried your solution and got the kickrom 40.63 for a500,600,2000 but after loading I get green screen and/or reset loop?
It looks like the new kickstart loaded ok but it has problem initiating after reset, looks to me as buggy kickrom file or just not compatible for some reason. Kick 40.63 is the same one as on clomatos 3.1 roms (hmm or maybe not exactly, correct me if I'm wrong) but it is designed to work with 600, I'll try some other ones, see what happens...

Last edited by Coderian; 27 July 2017 at 22:18.
Old 27 July 2017, 22:05   #58
idrougge

Quote:
The Quote said Toryglen-Boy !!!! Why did you thought i meant you ?? - and if you use a CF on the witheboard furia without problems, then great. I am really glad for you.
I never said anything about what you said to whom. Calm down!

All I'm saying is that, contrary to your experience, CF cards do work without any lockups on whiteboard Furias.
Old 27 July 2017, 22:16   #59
Toryglen-boy

Quote:

All I'm saying is that, contrary to your experience, CF cards do work without any lockups on whiteboard Furias.
Old 27 July 2017, 23:44   #60
Nibbler
namm namm AMIGA

Quote:

I am very calm actually. Really glad that it works.

Last edited by Nibbler; 28 July 2017 at 00:06.