English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 18 November 2010, 19:15   #1
Zbir

Watchpoints in debugger

Why can I set only 8 watchpoints (0-7)? Is it set somewhere and can it be increased? Usually it's enough but I'd like to use much more and I don't have such a possibility. Is there a chance that this number will be increased?

Old 21 November 2010, 14:39   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Explain why do you need more and I'll think about it
Old 21 November 2010, 20:20   #3
Zbir

Thanks for taking a look at my simple suggetsion. As I have wrtiten 7 is usually enough and it's hard for me to remember when exactly I had not enough.
As a more general example - deep trainer. I needed about 30 watchpoints to block all of the features I was interested in the game (e.g. constant fire).
I think that you can use it for more 'pro' purposes.

I really appreciate that you added watchpoint loading, but it s a pity that you have to activate it again and again in debugger after closing WinUAE ('w' command).

I didnt report it in bug reports, because I figured that you've wanted it to be that way but having the possibility to change it in the Input tab would be a pleasure, to assign the activation to one key.

Oh, and one question - is there a simple way of detecting collisions in debugger? I couldnt find an example in EAB of how someone can block collision (for instance to stop characters of being killed in Cannon Foddder 1, then they could not be reached by grenade or bullets)

Old 21 November 2010, 20:24   #4
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbir View Post
Thanks for taking a look at my simple suggetsion. As I have wrtiten 7 is usually enough and it's hard for me to remember when exactly I had not enough.
As a more general example - deep trainer. I needed about 30 watchpoints to block all of the features I was interested in the game (e.g. constant fire).
I think that you can use it for more 'pro' purposes.

I really appreciate that you added watchpoint loading, but it s a pity that you have to activate it again and again in debugger after closing WinUAE ('w' command).

I didnt report it in bug reports, because I figured that you've wanted it to be that way but having the possibility to change it in the Input tab would be a pleasure, to assign the activation to one key.

Oh, and one question - is there a simple way of detecting collisions in debugger? I couldnt find an example in EAB of how someone can block collision (for instance to stop characters of being killed in Cannon Foddder 1, then they could not be reached by grenade or bullets)
You're going about training Cannon Fodder the wrong way if you're trying to do it by collision detection.
Old 21 November 2010, 20:33   #5
Zbir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
You're going about training Cannon Fodder the wrong way if you're trying to do it by collision detection.
Oh, so now I know why altering collision level didnt work thanks for your suggestion - I have to check how is it made in the floppy trainer

Old 21 November 2010, 20:42   #6
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbir View Post
Oh, so now I know why altering collision level didnt work thanks for your suggestion - I have to check how is it made in the floppy trainer
Just use logic. If theres no 'life' counter to find energy for the character, try finding where the game stores the amount of Grenades remaining. Quite often, games programmers store lots of stuff like that quite close together, so chances are, if you find the grenade location, you'll probably find the life counter nearby.
Old 22 November 2010, 18:56   #7
Zbir

Thanks Galahad for your accurate suggestion - I've already discovered what the value should be. For those interested:
01 -> dead
00 -> alive

I hope Toni that my justification will satisfy you . About watchpoints activation - I would also like them to activate automatically after loading uss file.

Reason - I gave it above, if I save them logic tells us that we want them to be loaded by default after reading a file. E.g. if I dont activate watchpoints on time than the game will change values that I want to freeze and even if I activate a watchpoint I ahve to load uss again - it is a bit inconvenient so I hope that if you have good mood youll maybe do sth ab it.