English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 15 September 2018, 15:12   #21
idrougge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hewitson View Post
There is hundreds of companies which make power supplies like this. How come Meanwell has become the "standard" for Amiga replacement PSU's?
Price, availability and reliability?
Old 17 September 2018, 22:24   #22
Nightshader

Yep, they are available everywhere.. have resellers in almost every EU country, US,AUS,NZ...
If not, you can get them from china directly in a matter of days.
I got mine in Germany from conrad electronics with 24h shipping (finally wanted to try my vampire)
They are reasonably well built (at least as good as the C= ones) and conveniently, they fit nicely in the original cases, even with an update on both 5V and 12V rails.. and they have a small negative 12 volts rail.
Old 26 September 2018, 20:01   #23
ClockworkCoder

Another option, a guy that was recommended to me on another forum - handy if you're in the US:

http://personalpages.tds.net/~rcarlsen/custom%20ps.html

Old 16 September 2019, 13:07   #24
MickGyver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshader View Post
Hi, just a quick update to those who are still interested.

Contrary to stated up here, it turned out the RT-65B does indeed fit. Only by a small margin, but without any nasty squeezing.
So, it might even be the better alternative since it has more power on the 5V rail...

Just say`in....,
I just tried fitting an RT-65B in a A500 power supply chassi but didn't succeed, it was close though. Are there maybe different chassi designs for the A500 power supply?

So for others thinking about modding the A500 power supply with a Mean Well, the RT-50B is the safest option I guess.
Old 16 September 2019, 13:44   #25
Drag0nFly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickGyver View Post
I just tried fitting an RT-65B in a A500 power supply chassi but didn't succeed, it was close though. Are there maybe different chassi designs for the A500 power supply?

So for others thinking about modding the A500 power supply with a Mean Well, the RT-50B is the safest option I guess.
You'll need an adapter plate for the RT-50B. I was under the impression that the 65 would fit if squeezed into it, but haven't actually tried this myself.

There were someone who did these adapter plates (@jarp I think), but if I recall correctly he primarily made it for himself. They should be trivial to 3d-print I would assume.

My main concern with the MeanWells were the voltage differences under low power draw when compared to the original A500 PSUs though.
Old 16 September 2019, 13:58   #26
Drag0nFly

Or there could be minor differences between the original C= and the other third-party PSUs (like Zydec) - if those are in use. (Assuming the Meanwell is mounted in the same orientation)

Sorry for the initial quick reply, didn't see @Nightshader's comment as the thread alert didn't include it in the email.
Old 16 September 2019, 15:38   #27
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickGyver View Post
Are there maybe different chassi designs for the A500 power supply?
Yep, there are many different variations of PSU that Commodore used, so it's not surprising that some of them are a little different in shell design. I know there were different internal pillar patterns between different A500 PSUs at least...
Old 11 January 2020, 15:40   #28
lyzanxia

I'm having lots of wavy lines on screen when using a Meanwell rt-65b as an amiga 500 psu (tried second one and same result). Anybody an idea what to do about it?
Old 11 January 2020, 17:16   #29
daxb

Maybe the 12V line is not enough in use? Needs at least 0,2A load. With the original PSU all is fine?
Old 11 January 2020, 17:30   #30
lyzanxia

Yes, tried the original psu and everything back to normal. I see on reddit there is a person with the exact same problem, but no solution provided there.

I have only the Amiga on it, tried it with a pc fan on 12v too..but same problem.

Any suggestions I could try?
Old 11 January 2020, 19:58   #31
Daedalus

Are all your grounds connected correctly? Is the electrical outlet grounded? New capacitors in the Amiga? It's entirely possible that the PSU is faulty - the noise specifications of the unit are well within normal PSU limits, but there's always a chance you've got a dud. Can you measure the 5V rail, ideally at the floppy power connector? Perhaps the 5V rail is marginal.

I've had similar symptoms from a PicoPSU that were ultimately caused by the Dell laptop charger it was being powered by. Another laptop charger had a rock solid picture but noise in the audio output, and a third one had no interference anywhere. So it does seem likely to be caused by the PSU.
Old 12 January 2020, 07:52   #32
demolition
Unregistered User

Try rotating the plug in the outlet by 180 degrees. It can sometimes help with noise issues.
Old 12 January 2020, 16:38   #33
lyzanxia

Thanks for the suggestions.. think I got it almost gone by rerouting my power cables farther away from the vga cable.

Seems it puts out more noise than the original psu. Going to try and add ferrite beads to the cable next.