English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 17 May 2012, 00:20   #1
Leandro Jardim

AmiCDFS Support

Hi Toni, guys,

In WinUAE 2.4.1 is possible to use AmiCDFS or CacheCDFS or any native cd-rom driver or only is possible to use that built in WinUAE? I would like to use it with the native SCSI emulation.

I would like to read some cool cd images that I downloaded from the file server. I would like too, suggest that Toni add automatic decompression of zipped hard drives and cd images, and put the extracted files in the common "saveimages" folder setup in WinUAE.

Thanks.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 17 May 2012 at 00:32.
Old 17 May 2012, 08:55   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
In WinUAE 2.4.1 is possible to use AmiCDFS or CacheCDFS or any native cd-rom driver or only is possible to use that built in WinUAE? I would like to use it with the native SCSI emulation.
Any native CDFS still works, just disable the built-in to prevent conflicts.
What do you mean by native SCSI emulation? (native or built-in, both are using SCSI emulation)

Quote:
I would like to read some cool cd images that I downloaded from the file server. I would like too, suggest that Toni add automatic decompression of zipped hard drives and cd images, and put the extracted files in the common "saveimages" folder setup in WinUAE.
Why? And what if there is already file? Just decide it "was" the original one or overwrite it and in worst case cause data loss?

I don't want to support writing to compressed files because they have always been considered write-protected. (and it isn't worth the trouble either)

Compressed images work fine as read-only. Buy more HD space or unpack them manually if you want to use uncompressed files.
Old 18 May 2012, 02:58   #3
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Any native CDFS still works, just disable the built-in to prevent conflicts.
What do you mean by native SCSI emulation? (native or built-in, both are using SCSI emulation)
I meant with code native to x86, not for 68k, as in the builtin driver.

Quote:
Some time ago you put a new combo box in the Misc panel to select the SCSI driver and one of the entries is "SCSI Emulation".

Quote:
Why? And what if there is already file? Just decide it "was" the original one or overwrite it and in worst case cause data loss?
This should not be a problem, this system is already used for decompressed floppy disk images. If WinUAE founds the file it just uses it and doesnt need to decompress it again.

Quote:
I don't want to support writing to compressed files because they have always been considered write-protected. (and it isn't worth the trouble either)
My suggestion is to decompress only and not write back.

Quote:
Compressed images work fine as read-only. Buy more HD space or unpack them manually if you want to use uncompressed files.
It works, but only for the zip files I tried. For other files I tried it simply crashes WinUAE. It doesnt works for RAR nor 7z, and many of the CDs in the EAB file server are in these formats.
Old 18 May 2012, 08:02   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
It works, but only for the zip files I tried. For other files I tried it simply crashes WinUAE. It doesnt works for RAR nor 7z, and many of the CDs in the EAB file server are in these formats.
Maybe it is better to report those crashes and exact files that crash it instead of requesting useless fallback feature..
Old 19 May 2012, 06:39   #5
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

Quote:
It doesnt works for RAR nor 7z
Might I suggest you spend a little time and extract the RARs and 7Zs and recompress them into ZIPs?
Old 19 May 2012, 16:37   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Why does everyone want some workaround instead of helping to duplicate the crash?
Old 19 May 2012, 21:57   #7
LocalH
Amiga user since 1990

Never mind me, I was mistakenly under the impression that RAR and 7Z weren't supported at all, my bad (because I've never had any need to use compressed images, I hadn't realized anything other than ZIP was supported). That was the only reason I recommended recompressing them into ZIPs. I wasn't thinking of it as a workaround
Old 24 May 2012, 21:22   #8
Leandro Jardim

Three logs, dump files and one configuration for three different 7z CDs. I tried to read RAR files too, but it wont worked (maybe its not supported?).

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 21 September 2013 at 10:26.
Old 25 May 2012, 08:30   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Three logs, dump files and one configuration for three different 7z CDs. I tried to read RAR files too, but it wont worked (maybe its not supported?).
Rar requires unrar.dll (license incompatibility). Either install winrar or download unrar.dll and put it in path somewhere or same directory as winuae or winuae\plugins.
Old 25 May 2012, 19:17   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Unfortunately dump files show corrupted stack = information that shows which function crashes is unavailable.

I also downloaded exact cd image from eab file server shown in log ("Assassins - Ultimate Games CD 4 (1999)(Weird Science).7z") and it worked fine, even when I put it in some veryr deep path.

I have no idea whats wrong..

Of course there is longish delay when starting emulation because whole image must be unpacked first. This makes use of data-only images quite unusable. (CD audio data can be left unpacked until track is accessed for the first time)
Old 25 May 2012, 22:16   #11
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Unfortunately dump files show corrupted stack = information that shows which function crashes is unavailable.
Would not help you find the problem if other guys with the same problem send the logs and dumps of the same CDs to you?
Old 26 May 2012, 20:11   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Bug found, it is as simple as running out of process address space on 32-bit Windows. (Found and confirmed using win7 32-bit on vmware)

Unpacking 7z compressed CD image requires 2*unpacked size of memory during unpacking (~1.2G in worst case) and 32-bit Windows single process limit is only ~1.5G or so. (=total of all WinUAE allocations, including memory allocated by other DLLs, must be less than ~1.5G)

Memory allocation failure will be checked correctly in next beta, unpacking will simply fail instead of crashing.

There is not much point in optimizing this because unpacking is still relatively slow process, only mame chd-like compression (that are build from small chunks that can be uncompressed individually) would work in this situation.