English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 31 October 2016, 22:32   #321
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by britelite View Post
I would guess no, but then again I'm not too familiar with the Prisma DSP.
From what I can tell by looking at the datasheet its not a general purpose DSP but rather a very specific DSP for encoding and decoding certain audio formats.
So my guess is "no" also.
The Motorola DSP in the Falcon is much more of a general purpose unit than the one in the Prisma.

Skickat från min LG-H850 via Tapatalk
Old 31 October 2016, 23:50   #322
Daedalus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seoman View Post
If I've installed a RapidRoad USB in the Amiga 1200 clockport, what can I do? Do I need a clockport expander?
Ooh, good question: does the driver support clockport splitters? It would be great if it did...

@Seoman
The only way it might work is if you get a clockport splitter / expander and the driver supports the splitter. There's no way to simply "piggyback" clockport connectors.
Old 01 November 2016, 02:33   #323
amigoun

My dream would be if sometime WHDLoad supported Prisma to play MP3ized CDTracks of WHDized CD32 games
Old 01 November 2016, 08:19   #324
eXeler0

Quote:
Originally Posted by amigoun View Post
My dream would be if sometime WHDLoad supported Prisma to play MP3ized CDTracks of WHDized CD32 games
Probably not impossible ;-)

Skickat från min LG-H850 via Tapatalk
Old 01 November 2016, 11:04   #325
Overflow

"desktop A1200 version coming soon"

ETA for this? And it will be pre-insulated to prevent people with 10 thumbs like me to short the card/motherboard?
Old 01 November 2016, 11:19   #326
amigakit.com

@amigoun

Quote:
+1 I also would very much like it to have support in WHDLOAD too.

@Overflow

Should be within the next week or so- we are conducting some tests with clear heat shrink tubing - similar to the method that was used to insulate the Subway USB.
Old 01 November 2016, 14:07   #327
daxb

Prisma support for WHDLoad. Why? I don`t see a benefit. Games that support soundcards do that already and in most cases don`t need a WHDLoad install. If you want to have Prisma support to that games you "just" need an AHI driver.
Old 01 November 2016, 14:42   #328
wawa

Im not sure.. Since years people are demending an ahi driver for this hardware, but afaik it is not a sound card, so maybe an ahi driver makes as much sense as rtg or usb driver for this device and this is simple reason why it doesnt exist.
Old 01 November 2016, 15:01   #329
demolition
Unregistered User

AHI doesn't work with WHDLoad since WHDLoad bypasses the OS.
As far as I know, no current WHDLoad slaves contain the CD32 CD-Audio tracks (do they?), but if the WHDLoad authors feel like it, I guess it should be possible to update WHDLoad to enable a new slave format which can contain the audio tracks which can then be played back through the Prisma. It will need lots of memory though as the compressed audio should fit in there with preload, but many people have 128MB in their 1200s nowadays anyway.

ScummVM would greatly benefit from Prisma support as most 'slaves' here contain some form of compressed CD-audio track which could then be offloaded.
Old 01 November 2016, 16:43   #330
daxb

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
, but if the WHDLoad authors feel like it, I guess it should be possible to update WHDLoad to enable a new slave format which can contain the audio tracks which can then be played back through the Prisma.
Ok, but then why not support Delfina, Melody, Prelude, Toccata, ...? And don`t forget Paula output. 8 bit but maybe the easiest way doing it. Feature request: Using 14 bit calibration file.
Old 01 November 2016, 17:05   #331
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Ok, but then why not support Delfina, Melody, Prelude, Toccata, ...? And don`t forget Paula output. 8 bit but maybe the easiest way doing it. Feature request: Using 14 bit calibration file.
Because Paula output would be a major overhaul in the slaves to find the CPU time to do this conversion and very hard to avoid glitches various. It would require some multitasking to convert and play the audio while with the Prisma the job is much simpler. Basically you just have to transfer the compressed data to the Prisma buffer once in a while (perhaps once a frame which would still steal CPU time but very little compared to other audio solutions). On the CD32, the audio playback is 100% offloaded while with the Prisma it can only be 99.9%.. I don't know the Delfina and others to know if they would be suitable.
Old 01 November 2016, 17:26   #332
FOL
PSPUAE DEV

Send a message via MSN to FOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
I have a clockport on my A600 604n memory expansion, in addition to Vampire.
So, Im curious wether or not the desktop version will work on the A600 (I realise its not listed).
Just finished doing another test. It works fine with A604n on a 2MB Chip unexpanded A600. However don't expect anything else without upgraded CPU and Fast RAM.

For anyone, who decides to try this. If you connect card clockport cable in the wrong way around, you are fully responsible for any damage. Remember clock port is reversed on A604n compared to that of an A1200.
Old 01 November 2016, 17:59   #333
Overflow

Thanks for testing FOL!

When the desktop version comes out I will use it on my 1230/50 A1200.

Atleast until some daring person tests if there are any advantages to combining Vampire and Prisma.
Old 02 November 2016, 12:32   #334
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by daxb View Post
Ok, but then why not support Delfina, Melody, Prelude, Toccata, ...?
Probably because there is no public hardware register information available (including "must not have any DSP knowledge requirement") and unless data is heavily compressed (mp3), too much CPU time is wasted for copying sound data to onboard buffer causing game glitches or sound glitches (for example Toccata's tiny 1k buffer needs refill multiple times/frame if 44100Hz/16bit/2ch).

And finally, most programmers that do low level stuff don't care about sound cards. (and so far sound card manufacturers don't seem to care about low level programmers either!)

This card may be low level programming friendly enough, maybe. Used chip is very well documented, chip seems to work without too much extra support code and decoding is fully transparent.
Old 02 November 2016, 14:41   #335
daxb

Thanks for "confirmation" that there are more problems then I knew already. I can`t talk for WHDLoad team but my guess is that makeing it work isn`t worth the trouble. At the end only a few user can or would be able to use Prisma support for a few games.
Old 02 November 2016, 19:54   #336
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

This is my A1200 using the Prisma Megamix: [ Show youtube player ]

Just to comment that the Prisma needs an update of AmigaAMP that I'm running there and that will be released very soon now that it is working perfect.

Also, the window complaining about MUI that pops out when I open the script I've made with PrismaPlay is a bug that will be fixed in a next update of MUI5.

Another thing: the musics you are listening while booting are also using the Prisma board as I changed that in this AKReal setup. I'll add those Mp3 files in my next update.

Last edited by Retrofan; 02 November 2016 at 20:42.
Old 02 November 2016, 20:33   #337
Romanujan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Probably because there is no public hardware register information available
If so, maybe it would be better to just emulate uaemhi decoding card - in a similar way uaegfx was done? There is a package on Aminet (http://aminet.net/package/mus/play/mhi_dev):

Quote:
MHI is a new standard for MPEG audio on the Amiga. It was created by Thomas Wenzel and Paul Qureshi, with help from Dirk Conrad, because current systems (mpega.library and the mpeg.device) do not offer the features modern applications such as AmigaAMP require.
This archive contains everything you need to develop programs using MHI and MHI drivers for new hardware or software decoders.
Old 02 November 2016, 21:02   #338
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

Well, I said the AmigaAMP update was about to be released... The news is that in fact it has now been released.

Edit: And sorry http://www.amigaamp.de/download.shtml
Old 02 November 2016, 23:23   #339
danwood_uk

Received mine today (thanks for super speedy delivery), but how do I get Paula audio out of it? I'm maybe being incredibly dumb (probably) but only getting the decoders output (MHI via Amiga Amp) currently via Zorro on A4000.

Is there some setting or something I need to change?
Old 02 November 2016, 23:40   #340
Retrofan
Ruler of the Universe

I use two audio outputs: The ones of the Amiga for Paula and the new ones (backplate) for the Prisma. The Prisma will only use its output when you need it/you call for it.

In my setup I use my HiFi for the Paula and my PC 5.1 speakers for the Prisma, but you could use the same for both.