English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 21 January 2020, 19:36   #1
skyzoo73

Could Last Battle be better?

When Last Battle came out for the Genesis the otaku that was in me, was enchanted by this game that finally brought the deeds of Ken of Hokuto into the world of video games, despite the relative simplicity of the game captured many aspects of the anime and manga and was one of those games that made me want to have a Sega Genesis. When I learned that a conversion had been made for the Amiga 500 I was no longer in the skin, but unfortunately like many others I had a bitter surprise. Let's be clear, the conversion for amiga is not entirely bad, but lacked in some very important details and had the appearance of a job done in a hurry, and the defects compared to the version on the console saw were, certainly not due to lack of hardware on the part of the Amiga 500.

What I have been able to find are the busted color palette, and in general the small amount of colors used, the lack of parallax scrolling, the extreme quickness of the movement, some completely different sound effects, etc. But more important the explosions of ridiculous opponents, the total absence of the upgrade of the character, which involved changing the kicks and punches, and the lack of music for the indoor levels.

Basically the fun part of the game was missing.

Having said that, in these years of improved skills for the development of Amiga games, and seeing that the remake of old titles is something that interests many (I hope) it would be fantastic if someone with great passion wanted to take this game in hand, and finish it so as to remove the defects and make a conversion comparable to that for Sega Genesis. I think it would not be an impossible undertaking. What do you think ?

Last Battle Sega Genesis (Megadrive)

[ Show youtube player ]

Last Battle Amiga

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 21 January 2020, 20:55   #2
jotd
This cat is no more

Last Battle (sega) was covered in a Retrogamer "Retroshamer" article. A proof of quality.
Old 21 January 2020, 21:27   #3
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

You should aspire to get to Hokuto no Ken instead, with all the plot and the squishy enemy explosions
Old 21 January 2020, 22:00   #4
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Yes it could. I would love to see a perfect port redone with the current mega drive cart of the game, extract the datas, and make a real good port on amiga.